PDA

View Full Version : Please allow me to introduce myself...

Pages : [1] 2

Patrick
05-09-2011, 12:44 AM
("Sympathy For The Devil" just seemed appropriate at a place like CD's new forum.)

As long as we're all going to be here discussing Cemetery Dance's fine products and other topics, let's take a moment to introduce ourselves.

Ummm... Guess I should go first then. Right.

Hi, as you may have deduced from my screenname, my name is Patrick. Born and raised in California and still living here in my mid-40's. I'm part owner of TheDarkTower.org and when I'm online, that's generally where I can be found. I've been collecting books since 2004, which I think still ranks me as a relative newbie in the collecting world.

I collect limited edition books, primarily from authors Stephen King, Joe Hill, Neil Gaiman and Kurt Vonnegut. To a much lesser extent I also collect limited edition books by other authors such as Ray Bradbury, Dan Simmons and Justin Cronin.

I've been a fan of Cemetery Dance since I bought my first CD signed/limited edition on eBay after the book was out of print: FROM A BUICK 8. Both Cemetery Dance and Lonely Roads put out consistently high quality products. I enjoy the thought and creativity put into their limited editions, BLOCKADE BILLY and RIDING THE BULLET being two recent examples.

Looking forward to meeting all of you!

- Patrick

Ok, who's next?

Dan Hocker
05-09-2011, 01:07 AM
I diffidently like this thread. I was hoping someone would start one up.

My name is Dan (duh?) and I've only been working at CD since August, but have known about CD since Brian started working here years ago. I'm not a huge collector, although I am starting a bit. Also I know it's a bit weird given where I work, but I'm not really all that into this genre of book. Robert Jordan, may he rest in piece, has been one of my favorite authors for years, and I just generally love the fantasy genre. I love working at CD, and all the experience's I get to have here. Like working on these forums, helping with the new web site, and coming up with some pretty cool idea's, some of which hopefully I'll get to show / share with you guys through this forum here soon. It's great meeting you all, and I hope you enjoy these forums, I've put a lot of work into them, and will continue to make them.

-Dan

Antmusic
05-09-2011, 04:54 AM
Hello, my name is Robert, but I get called "Ant" a lot on the forums due to my user name (I am an Adam Ant fan). I had a column in the CD newsletter called "The Horror Enthusiast" (which was named by the talented Norman Prentiss), and I currently do some other projects for CD (whatever they dump on me ;)... I love it). They are an awesome company with great employees, authors, and books!

I am a fan of hardcovers, but I did recently get a Kindle... It hasn't "turned" me to the dark side of being physical-book-free... yet.

Martin
05-09-2011, 05:26 AM
Hello all, as you can probably tell my name is Martin. I discovered Cemetery Dance in 1998. My first limited edition ordered was Legacies, and no that experience did not scare me away. The first limited edition I received was Ed Gorman's The Poker Club which I received from CD when Legacies was delayed. Once I had that book in my hands I was hooked. I collect limited editions from a variety of authors and publishers. I enjoy discovering authors I have not read before, I am currently enjoying Hell Hollow by Ronald Kelly.

frik51
05-09-2011, 05:35 AM
Siep here.
Constant (KING) reader since 1975, but love and collect many authors, mostly horror, fantasy and science fiction.
I've been teaching for all of my working life; first eleven years in Canada (Beautiful B.C.), the rest in my native country, the Netherlands.
Over the years, this hasn't become any easier, but it's still an awesome job - wouldn't exchange it for anything different.
Besides Stephen King, I enjoy the movies of Stanley Kubrick and voice of Barbra Streisand.

sk

calason
05-09-2011, 05:56 AM
Hello All,
Pleased to meet you, my name is Chris. I'm an avid reader of every genre, from horror to fantasy. I've been collecting books for most of my life, limited edition books since I bought the Grant edition of Wolves of the Calla. I like videogames, photography, music and movies. My wife, who also happens to be my number one interest, is getting into collecting as well, which makes it easier for me to spend money on books. I'm looking forward to being a part of this community. It's always fun getting to know new people.

divemaster
05-09-2011, 12:03 PM
Hi. My name is Dave and I've been a SK fan ever since I was given a paperback copy of The Stand back in high school. My fist King S/L was Six Stories. For a long time I was only keeping up with my collection of trade firsts (I have all of them) but a couple of years ago started collecting S/L versions in earnest. I have a pretty good collection but by no means complete.

My other book collecting interest is Arkham House publishing. I was introduced to Arkham House by what was an offhand reference by King in Danse Macabre. About 10 years ago, I had the opportunity to purchase a large AH lot (about 50 books), and used that as a stepping stone to further collecting. I have some real gems in my AH collection.

I own several Cemetery Dance publications--some bought directly from CD and some bought on the secondary market. Maybe 8 or 9 total. They are all very nice.

Other interests? I'm a huge sports fan. Sports makes up about 95 percent of my TV viewing. I also am an afficianado of Asian film. I have about 850 DVDs on my shelf, more than half are Korean, Chinese/Kong Kong, or Japanese. I've seen well over 200 Korean films.

bsaenz24
05-09-2011, 07:03 PM
Also I know it's a bit weird given where I work, but I'm not really all that into this genre of book. Robert Jordan, may he rest in piece, has been one of my favorite authors for years, and I just generally love the fantasy genre.

-Dan

Dan, if you get CD to start tapping the fantasy market, you will be my new best friend!!! Not that "that" will get you much, maybe a BFF t-shirt!!!

bsaenz24
05-09-2011, 07:09 PM
Ok,

My name is Brad and I have been a fan of fantasy,sci-fi/horror fiction for over 30 years. It started with Lord of the Rings when I was 11. First horror title was Pet Semetery and there was no going back. I have lifetime subscriptions to CD, LRB and Night Shade Books. Now that I have three sons (6 and under), I am even more grateful for the LT deals because extra cash is virtually non-existant. Outside of the three presses mentioned, I do love Subteranean Press titles when they fall into the fantasy genre. I have great admiration for the effort and dedictation that the CD staff has in developing quality selections in both title/content and production values. They are second to none!! With the cost of the kids, my misc. collecting is mostly limited to George Martin, Steven Erikson, and some Dan Simmons.

Cutter
05-09-2011, 09:32 PM
Hello, the name is Geoff. I visit a lot of forums under the current user name which are usually horror related. I've been collecting books since about 2000, and it started with King. My favorites to collect are King, Bradbury, Lansdale and Gaiman. Plus many others. I've bought one heck of a lot of CD titles through the years so that's why I'm here. ;)

btw, to the person reading Hell Hollow - that is a great book!

Martin
05-10-2011, 02:13 PM
I just completed the first section of Hell Hollow and so far I have to agree, Hell Hollow is a great book!
Hello, the name is Geoff. I visit a lot of forums under the current user name which are usually horror related. I've been collecting books since about 2000, and it started with King. My favorites to collect are King, Bradbury, Lansdale and Gaiman. Plus many others. I've bought one heck of a lot of CD titles through the years so that's why I'm here. ;)

btw, to the person reading Hell Hollow - that is a great book!

RJK1981
05-10-2011, 10:10 PM
My name is Robert. I am still new to collecting books, but have been able to get a hold of a little over 50 CD books so far (with a few others that I have preordered) since first discovering CD when Blockade Billy was announced on the Stephen King website, along with a few from a couple other publishers.

I am a fan of a wide variety of genres, but horror has been my favorite lately. Stephen King has been my favorite author for a while, but have discovered many new authors (new to me at least) through Cemetery Dance. A couple of my new favorites are Douglas Clegg and Brian Keene. I have a few books from Simon Clark and Bentley Little that I still have to get to.

I also like to write (but haven't done enough of that lately) and hope to actually become a published author one day.

Dan Hocker
05-10-2011, 10:13 PM
I also like to write (but haven't done enough of that lately) and hope to actually become a published author one day.

We're gonna have something cool on the amateur writer front here in the next week or so. I can't tell you what it is yet, but it'll be something that I personally think will be really cool, but then again it was my idea :p

RJK1981
05-10-2011, 10:47 PM
Great, look forward to finding out what it is. I'm sure it will be cool. And just because it's your idea doesn't always mean you would think it'd be cool, I know I've have ideas that I thought were not very good before, lol. I must say that I wish I worked somewhere like Cemetery Dance, but that'd be difficult to do from Minnesota :p

tomwise
05-11-2011, 03:15 AM
Hi everyone, my name is Tom Wise. I like spook books.
P.S. Mindy is the best CD employee, she takes care of customers that have a hard time reading instructions.

frik51
05-11-2011, 04:24 AM
P.S. Mindy is the best CD employee,

Minday's awesome: go Mindy!!!

sk

thelion
05-11-2011, 04:27 PM
Hi all, my name is Brian. I have been collecting CD books since 2009 with the purchase of The Secretary of Dreams Vol.1 and pre-order of Vol.2. Thanks to CD, I have discovered many new authors and I've had to expand my bookshelf space considerably to make room for all of the great titles...

njhorror
05-11-2011, 08:39 PM
My name is Stephen and I live in Tennessee.

nooooooo . . . New Jersey!

I've been a fan of horror for . . . ah, a long time.

I've been a fan and a customer of CD for many years.

I'm hungry.

folgersnyourcup
05-12-2011, 04:04 AM
My name is Aaron and I have been a fan of Stephen King and horror my entire life. I just discovered CD about 3 months ago when amazon.com recommended Secretary of Dreams volume 2 to me after I had ordered so many King books from them... After doing my research and deciding I wanted the slipcase, I headed over to CD.com and have been hooked ever since. I shudder to think how much I have spent at CD over the last 3 months, but I have been impressed every step of the way. I can't wait to see what the future holds!

danny
05-13-2011, 12:37 AM
My name is Danny I go by the user name (brother odd), I live in Oregon. Been an avid horror read since I was fifteen. In 1995 (at the age of twenty three) got my first issue of CD magazine (#22). A year later bought my first HB limited (first limited of any kind) from CD. Rick Hautala THE MOUNTAIN KING. Ive been collecting ever since.

PaulB
05-13-2011, 03:42 AM
I am Paul and like many others I suspect, I came to CD via Blockade Billy. Since then however I have discovered the wonder that is the Limited Edition! As well as subscribing to the CD magazine I have also started collecting many of the CD releases as they have become available. The couple of Grab Bags I have purchased have been brilliant ways of introducing new writers as well as artists. Many thanks.

bsaenz24
05-13-2011, 02:17 PM
Those grab bags are always such a great deal!!!

Eldritch
05-14-2011, 02:11 AM
I've been a Stephen King junkie since Mrs. Heckle's 10th grade English class in 1980. I borrowed the classroom copy of The Shining and was hooked. 13 years later at the Miami Book Fair, I got Uncle Steve's autograph, but I had to ask him to sign my infant son's diaper changing pad because I didn't have one of his books with me (though I owned every one he'd written up to that point). My husband framed the changing pad for me, and it hangs right over my desk where I spend much of my time writing dark fiction for middle graders and young adults.
As a side note, my son is long past his infant years now. He will graduate from high school in two weeks.

calason
05-14-2011, 08:10 AM
I got Uncle Steve's autograph, but I had to ask him to sign my infant son's diaper changing pad because I didn't have one of his books with me (though I owned every one he'd written up to that point). My husband framed the changing pad for me

THIS, this is awesome.

Tree705
05-14-2011, 11:55 AM
Hi Rich DeMars here. I reconize some of the names here. Long time CD family member, avid book collector although I buy much less now due my wife job loss a while back, she's working but making much less. Thank god for lifetime subscriptions!. Nice to meet you Dan, I hope you have a long and happy career with CD.

Eldritch
05-14-2011, 11:58 AM
@ Calason,
LOL. I also got Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson's autographs on the changing pad. AND, I got my picture taken with S.K. and Dave, and those photos are in the frame too.

RJK1981
05-14-2011, 06:23 PM
That sounds like a very unique thing to have hanging on the wall, lol

I must say that I am jealous of those with lifetime subscriptions, would be a wonderful thing to have. I hope that if something like that is offered again I have the money for it at the time. How much did those cost anyway? Whatever the price was it was definitely a great deal

Kit Russell
05-22-2011, 12:14 AM
Hi. I'm Kit and I've been a Horror fan since I read Christine back when I was in Junior High. (Yeah, I'm old enough to remember when it wasn't "Middle School" yet.) I was hooked, and read as much King as I could, and when that ran out, I began ranging farther afield. It was the mid-Eighties, so there was a lot to choose from.

Right now I'm eagerly awaiting Mira Grant's Deadline, which comes out at the end of the month.

I was hoping to find copies of Edward Lee's Infernal Angels and House Infernal, but they're out-of-print here, and the mass-market publisher is having issues, so I guess I'll have to either hunt copies down or wait until the rights revert and the author gets a new publisher.

RJK1981
05-22-2011, 02:08 AM
I was hoping to find copies of Edward Lee's Infernal Angels and House Infernal, but they're out-of-print here, and the mass-market publisher is having issues, so I guess I'll have to either hunt copies down or wait until the rights revert and the author gets a new publisher.

I would suggest looking for these on Ebay and/or Amazon Marketplace as you can find decent deals on at least the Hardcover Cemetery Dance edition of House Infernal, though I still need their editions of City Infernal and Infernal Angel

jester05jk
05-23-2011, 05:33 AM
I would suggest looking for these on Ebay and/or Amazon Marketplace as you can find decent deals on at least the Hardcover Cemetery Dance edition of House Infernal, though I still need their editions of City Infernal and Infernal Angel

You can also try abebooks.com, I've found a few decent prices there.

I'm Jason, or Bones to many, just turned 27 and live in Baltimore. I guess I got lucky by having a dad that was into the horror genre and wasn't very strict on allowing me to read or watch what I wanted, even to letting me borrow his pb's in elementary school. I think the first CD book I got was the numbered edition "Fear Nothing" by Koontz at Horrorfind back in '99 or 2000, followed by October Dreams. I have a fairly good size collection but the only lettered edition from CD I have is Koontz's "False Memory". The main authors I collect are Koontz, Lumley, and Ketchum with the occasional Mccammon and Laymon acquisition. Other than those I'm not picky on getting any copy of a book but if I really like it then I track down the best I can find or afford at the time.

Non horror I like Raymond Feist and Robert Jordan, eagerly anticipating the final book!! If you can find them, Frank Frazetta's(with James Silke) Death Dealer is a 4 volume set that is amazing. Those would be a great limited edition that someone needs to get to making.

jmcraven
05-24-2011, 03:08 AM
Hello all. My name is Josh, and I found CD via SK's website promotion of Blockade Billy. I am a longtime reader of fiction from various authors. Favorites are SK (duh) and Thomas Harris. Although I wouldn't necessarily classify myself of a reader of any particular genre, I enjoy writing shorts of horror/suspense when I have time. Which isn't very often as I am an attorney, and I am married with a young child. I am looking forward to receiving my signed copy of Jack Ketchum's The Woman. I would love to have a SK signed book someday, but right now the finances just aren't there. I follow CD on Facebook, too. Thanks for the updates.

RJHubbard53
05-24-2011, 02:23 PM
Hi, my name is RJ and I am an alcoholic. No really; I am, ask my mother-in-law. . .
I like to collect books. Not sure why, to be honest. They're elegant and add flair to my den, especially the CD editions. I got turned on to CD when Wolves of the Calla was offered and was sorely disappointed that I couldnt get in on the limited edition action. Since then, I've tried to be sure I get each King special edition; my first was From a Buick 8 - boy am I proud of that book! I took a break from collecting when my son was born, missed one or two, but got back into it with Full Dark, No Stars. Just ordered the signed edition of IT so once that arrives and the signed edition of The Book of Necon arrive, I'll be up to four signed King books. . . just WHEN is that coming out anyway?!

As for genres I guess I like the horror/suspense and thank CD for introducing me to many new authors by offering reasonable priced limited editions - I just cant resist those marketing emails.

I am also into boating although what I do probably cant be considered boating - I float and drink delicious adult beverages (see above) while reading Cemetery Dance magazine.

funny, one of my co-workers just saw me ordering the 25th Aniv. edition of IT and asked me what I do with them. I had to be honest, "I sit them on my shelf and when I die, I can pass them onto my son who'll sell them on ebay for beer money"

Phoenix
05-24-2011, 04:02 PM
so then it would probably seem pretty poetic for my first post (i think) to be in this thread talking about how active posters will be rewarded...don't say that too soon...i have a tendency to talk incessantly and people even think i know what i'm talking about!!! (actually, i might have posted something else already come to think of it...)

Hello. Phoenix cannot come to the phone right now, however, her spokeswoman-Mary-is prepared to make a statement: Hi, I'd like you all to meet Phoenix. You might not know her from such films as A Roaring Boring Alice and To Catch Her in the Pie. It has been said, and we do admit Phoenix does suffer from an addiction to threading words together in short, broken phrases; but can actually put them into proper sentences from time to time.
Spelling/Punctuation? Generally optional...(ok, that's not true, she spells ok when she's taken her meds).
Grammar...? Debatable? Or was it detachable? I'm not sure.
Well, regardless...rambling but minimally entertaining, please give a round of applause (no, not CLAWS...applause) to this year's top notch Lotto Loser and full time taco whisperer, PHOENIX!!!!
Likes...Long Walk-s and long words, long numbers...
Born, but not raised, in Connecticut---She lives in the middle of nowhere, on the outskirts (no one uses that word anymore) of Omaha, in a place you've NEVER heard of...La Vista, Nebraska.
She is married, and has one child...even better; they're not the same person!! How DID she get so lucky, folks?
Phoenix tends to be labeled as the underdog, but thinks Courage was a way better cartoon...

any questions?

RJK1981
05-24-2011, 04:18 PM
I wonder what the number is for people who found CD through the Blockade Billy release. I know I was one of them. Probably will be even more with the IT 25th Anniversary Edition release

bsaenz24
05-24-2011, 04:20 PM
I wonder what the number is for people who found CD through the Blockade Billy release. I know I was one of them. Probably will be even more with the IT 25th Anniversary Edition release

Sounds like a good idea for a thread under General Discussion!!! You can call it "When did CD drag you in to the Dark!!!" ;)

RJK1981
05-24-2011, 04:30 PM
I might just have to do that now, lol

frik51
05-24-2011, 06:10 PM
any questions?

Nah..I'm just speechless....

sk

Blu Gilliand
05-24-2011, 08:55 PM
My name is Blu (yes, that's my real name), and I've been a reader as long as I can remember. My parents didn't shy away from letting me watch scary movies as a child, so my love of horror was born at an early age. I became a Stephen King fan with Pet Sematary and never looked back.

I'm fortunate to make a living doing what I love to do - writing. I'm a public information specialist for a state agency - before that, I worked in advertising and newspapers. I do a lot of freelance writing of all kinds - interviews, book reviews, articles, radio ads, you name it. I've been lucky to have several short stories published over the last few years, and I maintain a blog - October Country (http://theoctobercountry.wordpress.com) - about horror and crime fiction. I'm glad to have this forum, which I think is going to be a great place for discussion!

JJ Holden
05-26-2011, 03:18 PM
Hello everyone! My name is Janet. Long time reader of horror and sf, although I've diversified in recent years. (Those Erikson, Martin and Abercrombie books are just too good to ignore.) I think the first thing I ever bought from CD was a Glenn Chadbourne magazine cover t-shirt. The books came later. I grow roses and try to read and write every single day; part of the never ending quest for sanity, you know?

Brian James Freeman
05-26-2011, 08:58 PM
I maintain a blog - October Country (http://theoctobercountry.wordpress.com) - about horror and crime fiction. I'm glad to have this forum, which I think is going to be a great place for discussion!

I love October Country -- it's a great blog and I'm always recommending it to people.

Brian

Blu Gilliand
05-27-2011, 03:37 PM
Wow - thanks Brian!

Greenelk
05-27-2011, 03:52 PM
Good afternoon from the UK. Gareth here, a relatively long time CD collector (late 90s I started I think), who for the life of him can't remember what the first CD book was, but after a week of putting up shelves, I can happily say that all of my CD books are being displayed properly in what now looks like a library in our dining room.

A lover of all forms of the horror genre, my collection covers a lot of authors, many of whom I stalk on social networking sites...

The staff at CD are fantastic, and the service brilliant, I look forward to ordering many more books, and having to put up even more shelves!

portrait in flesh
05-27-2011, 06:09 PM
I'm Ramona, currently ensconced just south of the Mason-Dixon line and a previous denizen of San Francisco (how I ended up where I am now is a long story, which sadly doesn't include a totally boss car chase scene). I believe I'm in the minority here in that I'm not a book collector per se, even though my TBR pile towers yards above me.

I'm here for the cake. I was told there would be cake (and it is not a lie).

aihutch
05-27-2011, 09:38 PM
I'm Adele. Born and raised in Southern California, but with half of my family in Louisiana, I spend a lot of time there, with New Orleans being one of my favorite cities. Probably why I'm an Anne Rice fan. One of the first horror books I read was Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark when I was in elementary school and I have been hooked on horror ever since. Just like Blu, my parents let me watch horror movies when I was little, so that probably contributed to me being a horror fan as well.

I work for a textbook/scholarly journals publisher, so it's nice to go home and unwind from reading stats, psych, etc. all day and curl up with a good scary book!

C.W. LaSart
06-06-2011, 03:37 AM
I use the pen name C.W. LaSart, but you can call me Caren. My mother made me wait to read Stephen King until my 12th Birthday, but had she ever read one of his books, I'm sure she would've made me wait much longer! I have been a fan of all things horror for as long as I can remember, and though I don't collect the special edition books, my own horror library numbers in the hundreds and I have a subscription to CD. I have my first story collection due out this Fall, and have been published several times in the last year since I started focusing on my writing as a career, but it is a dream of mine to some day be published in Cemetery Dance.

Draven Ames
06-06-2011, 07:49 AM
Also I know it's a bit weird given where I work, but I'm not really all that into this genre of book. Robert Jordan, may he rest in piece, has been one of my favorite authors for years, and I just generally love the fantasy genre.

I'm a huge fan of Robert Jordan, George RR Martin, Terry Brooks, and so many other fantasy authors. My wife is a huge King fan. She turned me on to his books and I haven't looked back since. You can say the genre picked me, rather than me picking it.

Anyway, it is great to read about so many people involved with Cemetery Dance. You have a great team here.

ozmosis7
06-06-2011, 11:14 AM
Hello, my name is Ken, and I am 41. I am originally from Illinois, but have resided in the Chester County, PA from thirteen up. After a childhood dedicated to the creative arts, I somehow ended up as a pre-press graphic designer. I spent more than twenty years being successful with that career, but always lacking the freedom to be creative.

At the urging of my lovely wife, I dedicated myself to a full-time pursuit of writing not too long ago. I am nearing my first full year at this and am pleased with what I have achieved so far. For me there is nothing better than when someone enjoys one of my yarns. I have also been able to pursue some of the more creative sides of art as well.

Horror found me when I was in high school, on call for the third-shift at Pepperidge Farms. My first book was IT. On a side note, you can see some of my work on my website, or by walking up and down the isles at your local grocery store. Pleased to meet you all.

portrait in flesh
06-06-2011, 03:53 PM
Horror found me when I was in high school, on call for the third-shift at Pepperidge Farms.

"Pepperidge Farms remembers...where all the bodies are hidden."

Sorry, that's the allergy meds talking.

ozmosis7
06-06-2011, 04:43 PM
"Pepperidge Farms remembers...where all the bodies are hidden."

Well, there are various reasons why I don't eat their cookies anymore :)

chantal
06-06-2011, 11:59 PM
Hi everyone! My name is Chantal, I'm 27 years old and live in a small town in Missouri about 50 miles west of St. Louis. I have 3 kids- ages 7, 3 and 1. They keep me pretty busy, but in my free time I'm a huge fan of anything Stephen King. I discovered Cemetery Dance a few months ago while searching Kings website for future works. My first purchase was the anniversary edition of IT and it cannot get here fast enough. Im always on the search for special editions of his work so if anyone has anything they're contemplating selling, drop me a line.

I look forward to hearing more about everyone! :D

srboone
06-07-2011, 06:39 AM
Greetings for Kansas City MO! My name is Squire and I have been reading horror stories since I can remember. My 3rd grade teacher took a book of Lovecraft stories away from me because she didn't think it was appropriate and besides, I couldn't possibly understand it. (ahhh, the '70's...) Anyway, I read my first King book in 1980, The Shining--been a King fan ever since. I didn't actually start buying his books until I was in college (IT was my first King purchase), but I've tried to keep up since.

Contrary to what many may believe (based on my posts), I love the DT series. I'm planning a 4th trip through the series later this year. Maybe I'll find the later books less disjointed this time since I've read a lot of the tie-in's since my last journey with Roland's ka-tet.

Thanks for reading and when I figure out how to post images (sorry, I grew up without computers) maybe I'll get an avatar and show my collection...:rolleyes:

frik51
06-07-2011, 02:32 PM
Greetings for Kansas City MO! My name is Squire
Thanks for reading and when I figure out how to post images (sorry, I grew up without computers) maybe I'll get an avatar and show my collection...:rolleyes:

Nice to meet you, Squire.
And please do show your collection - posting images isn't hard to do. And yes, I grew up without computers as well.

sk

ozmosis7
06-08-2011, 05:58 PM
If anyone wants to connect on facebook,twitter, or the the like, feel free to hit me up. There are links on my contact page of my website. Always happy to make connections for both writing and art.

larryki
06-08-2011, 09:08 PM
Hi,
My name Larry and King's Salem's Lot, McCammon's The Wolf's Hour and Koontz's Watchers got me hooked. I have been with CD since the beginning when I took a chance and bought a LT mag subscription for $40. This lead to a LT of the books too (back when I had job/money) which was a wise investment. Looking forward to all the great books that Rich and the gang are working on.

C.W. LaSart
06-09-2011, 01:33 AM
If anyone wants to connect on facebook,twitter, or the the like, feel free to hit me up. There are links on my contact page of my website. Always happy to make connections for both writing and art.

I will find you-I also have my pages and accounts on my website, but you can always find me on twitter @CWLaSart I follow ALL writers and horror fans back! Porn stars, not so much!

Dan Hocker
06-09-2011, 01:35 AM
Porn stars, not so much!

Guess that leaves me out..... lol

C.W. LaSart
06-09-2011, 01:42 AM
Guess that leaves me out..... lol
Sorry Dan-can't have you bogging down my feed with nudie pics!

AJ Brown
06-09-2011, 09:17 PM
I guess I should do the introduction thing here as well if I plan on hanging out a little more often. My name is A.J. and i'm a writer searching for readers. For me, that's what's important: readers and trying to write in a manner that touches them. One day I'll get there.

AJ

peteOcha
06-10-2011, 01:42 PM
Hi, my name is Peter. I have been sober now for..... Oh, oops, wrong forum. ;)

No, but seriously. As I said, my name is Peter. I love reading horror and fantasy and anything else that is worth reading and I find interesting/entertaining. I enjoy writing and whenever I happen to be hit by an idea I like to sit down and put it on paper, although I have less time to write than before (9-5 job and an eight month old baby boy have me occupied for most of the day). I haven't published anything, yet (hopefully yet is the key word here that will soon change), but then again I have never submitted. Really looking forward to grasping the whole submission process and making friends here!

misery chastain loves co.
06-13-2011, 10:57 PM
Hey everyone! My name is Lori, nice to meet all of you! I am originally from Maine, currently reside in the dusty hot Southern region due to the military. Thanks to where I was raised, it was inevitable that I would be an avid King fan :) Favorite Book-IT, Least Favorite-yeah, right! HUGE horror fan, attend the occasional con or two. Enjoy reading all types of stories, Bentley Little, Clive Barker, and SK are the three authors that I will buy every book that comes out the same day it comes out! I was introduced to this site because a friend of mine entered the writing contest and I came on over to vote for her. Am kicking myself for not knowing about it sooner! Better late than never I suppose....
oh, and contrary to Pete, I am not sober.....oops still the wrong forum ;)

peteOcha
06-14-2011, 08:55 AM
oh, and contrary to Pete, I am not sober.....oops still the wrong forum ;)

+1 :)

Greg Lee
06-14-2011, 04:14 PM
Howdy everyone! My name is Greg and I was born and raised in eastern North Carolina. I am a avid reader of science fiction, dark fantasy & horror books and stories. My favorite writer is Dan Simmons, but I enjoy everyone from Stephen King, Robert McCammon, Dean Koontz & Brian Keene to Isaac Asimov, Ray Bradbury, Greg Bear & many, many more.

I'm not a super active poster, but I hope to be able to participate when I find something I feel knowledgeable enough to discuss.

Greg

hamount
06-15-2011, 12:04 AM
My name is Haley! I have the strangest feeling I'm the youngest member on this forum, everyone seems to be in their late twenties and up. I love to write, and I continually try to improve my writing. I read around 300 books a year, sometimes I 'accidentally' read for 3 hours straight, annoying my family to no end. Originally I actually didn't like Stephen King, but my brother roped me into reading Misery. Now, I read SK every now and again. I actually like suspense stories as well as I like horror. I started out reading nothing but Dean Koontz, but I've been trying out different authors including Jack Ketchum.

jmcraven
06-15-2011, 02:52 AM
I started out reading nothing but Dean Koontz, but I've been trying out different authors including Jack Ketchum.

Welcome! I never took to Koontz for some reason. I've read 2 or 3 of his older books, but it just didn't work for me. My wife really likes him though.

Speaking of Ketchum, I just finished my first book by him: The Lost.

hamount
06-15-2011, 03:15 AM
Welcome! I never took to Koontz for some reason. I've read 2 or 3 of his older books, but it just didn't work for me. My wife really likes him though.

Speaking of Ketchum, I just finished my first book by him: The Lost.
My first Koontz book I read was The Husband, and I've read it eight times, maybe? Admittedly the only Ketchum book I've read has been The Girl Next Door. Fortunately my parents don't have a problem with me reading horror, though that may be the reason why I'm so demented.

ozmosis7
06-15-2011, 12:21 PM
Welcome. I love his Frankenstein series, and Odd Thomas.

frik51
06-15-2011, 12:27 PM
I really used to like Koontz. He didn't grab me the way King did, and does, but I was a constant reader, till about 5 years ago.
Something changed, but I don't really know what.
Either Koontz lost his touch, or I just outgrew him.
Too bad, really, as I had an extensive hc collection and was always looking forwards to the new Koontz.

Favorite: Dark Rivers of the Heart.

sk

ozmosis7
06-15-2011, 12:38 PM
I haven't read any of Koontz's more recent novels other than those 2 series, but I have heard that about him from many people. I will say, that although the Odd Thomas, "I see dead people" thing is a bit cliche, the stories are fun. The Frankenstein is awesome, if not for the mere fact that he has successfully pulled off bringing a classic back to life. His Victor is awesome. And the monster as well. I've been wanting to go back and read Watchers and some of his earlier work again.

hamount
06-15-2011, 12:43 PM
I read Frankenstein 1 and 2 four times each, but the 3 and 4th of the series were not some of his best work. The Odd series is another of my personal favorites. I've also read Dark Rivers of the Heart, and it was really great book.

hamount
06-15-2011, 12:44 PM
Watchers is excellent, I think I've read that one five times, maybe. Definitely recommend.

frik51
06-15-2011, 12:49 PM
Yes, Watchers is a very good book, one of Koontz's best.
Worth checking out!

sk

srboone
06-15-2011, 01:25 PM
A long time ago, a friend convinved me to read a Koontz book. The only one I could find readily was "The Bad Place." I don't remember much about it, but I remember not caring for it. She told me she didn't like that one either, but I ought to try another--she suggested "Watchers", but I never read it. I always felt bad about that one. I never read anything else by him...

hamount
06-15-2011, 02:46 PM
Dean Koontz can be a kind of hit and miss writer, it really depends. Among my favorites are: The Husband, Cold Fire, Watchers, Dark Rivers of the Heart, the Odd series, and Frankenstein 1 and 2.

C.W. LaSart
06-15-2011, 04:43 PM
I love some of his OLDER work-like Twilight Eyes and such-and I'm a huge Odd Thomas fan, as well as The Frankenstein books. I think the problem with Koontz, is that he puts his characters through 300 pages of fantastic events, then when it come time to resolve, he just wraps it up in a neat little package without telling us how character 'A' got away with shooting at cops and yada..yada..yada. His stories always fall flat at the end-when they become too convenient and 'happily ever after'.

hamount
06-15-2011, 07:31 PM
Yeah, that's what my brother says, but a lot of his work is pretty good.

bsaenz24
06-15-2011, 07:34 PM
I stopped reading Koontz about 10 years ago when the books all felt the same and all seemed to have some supernatural answer to everything. I think his must read titles include:

Whispers
Watchers
Strangers
Lightning
Midnight
Bad Place
Dark Rivers of the Heart

hamount
06-15-2011, 08:45 PM
I agree, the Bad Place wasn't among my favorite titles, but it was still pretty good. Also suggest The Husband, and Cold Fire. I read both of those 8-10 times I loved them so much.

bsaenz24
06-15-2011, 10:09 PM
Maybe I'll have to get The Husband. I'm pretty sure that's more recent and a good bit after I stopped buying his books.

hamount
06-15-2011, 11:02 PM
Yeah, you should. Great book.

jmcraven
06-16-2011, 03:03 AM
I believe two that I read were The Funhouse (as Owen West) and The House of Thunder (as Leigh Nichols). I think. I can't recall if there was a 3rd for sure.

hamount
06-16-2011, 12:52 PM
House of Thunder was alright, not one of my favorites though. I haven't read the Funhouse.

frik51
06-16-2011, 02:36 PM
The Funhouse....I only remember the Tobey Hooper film.
Pretty intense.
I never realized Koontz wrote the novelization of the screenply.

sk

hamount
06-17-2011, 11:24 AM
If it makes you feel better I never knew there was a movie.

jester05jk
06-18-2011, 02:53 AM
I've read all Koontz except the Odd Thomas series, The Good Guy, Frankenstein 4, and Your Heart Belongs to Me. I have everything but Odd Thomas' on my shelves waiting to be read. Don't know why, but never got around to picking them up.

C.W. LaSart
06-18-2011, 05:04 PM
I've read all Koontz except the Odd Thomas series, The Good Guy, Frankenstein 4, and Your Heart Belongs to Me. I have everything but Odd Thomas' on my shelves waiting to be read. Don't know why, but never got around to picking them up.

I think Odd Thomas and Frankenstein are his finest works-you should probably get those :)

ozmosis7
06-18-2011, 07:31 PM
I think Odd Thomas and Frankenstein are his finest works-you shoud probably get those :)

Agree.

hamount
06-18-2011, 09:43 PM
I also agree, and I'm a long time fan. I like all of the Odd series, and Frankenstein 1 and 2 were good. 3 and 4 weren't as good as the rest of the series, I still need to read the last book.

Craig Wallwork
06-18-2011, 10:05 PM
Oh, man, I didn't know this thread existed. Hello to all! Me, I live in West Yorkshire, England, with my wife and 2 year old daughter. You'll note I'm always late for conversations due to the time difference. As a boy I enjoyed pugilism and illustration, cartoons mostly. As a young man, filmmaking and editing, the latter of which I did for 9 years. Now, I'm happy for a silent room and good book. I'm not teaching or studying a MFA. I haven't ít won any awards for my writing and spend most of my time locked in small room berating myself for not trying harder.

I have three novels done. The first is terrible and the other two have just been sent out to publishers. Wish me luck. One is about a writer who falls in love with a teenager, and the other is about a man who knows he will die before he is 30 years old and so with the help of a woman who likes to masturbate a lot, they induce overdoses in manic depressives to help him overcome his fear of death.

The fourth novel I'm currently writing is called, Dog Mile, which is about a small rural town in Yorkshire that is occupied by the devil. There it rains for five years, people turn into trees and time is of no consequence so people from the turn of the century converse with those from the future.

My short stories have appeared in many journals and anthologies - Some of the places who have accepted my work are, May December, The Wrong Tree Review, Medulla Publishing, Beat the Dust, Dogmatika, Cherry Bleeds, Gold Dust Magazine, Jersey Devil Press and Thieves Jargon. In the summer I will feature alongside Craig Clevenger, Stephen Graham Jones, Brian Evenson, Craig Davidson and Vincent Louis Carrella in the anthology, Warmed and Bound.

I'll also have a zombie story released called Revenge of the Pussy Eaters, and a tale called, Human Tenderloin, about a group of cannibals who enjoy fine dining due to be released in the Fall.

My CD story, 13, is one of only three horror type stories I've written. The other two are The Hole and Heart & Soul published by Colored Chalk.

Iím more magical realism, absurdist and underbelly fiction than I am horror so Iím totally overwhelmed being here. But you all seem like a cool bunch of writers so thanks for not sticking the ďkick meĒ sign on my back just yet.

web: www.craigwallwork.blogspot.com :)

miki74
06-19-2011, 12:46 AM
I really like Odd Thomas, too, but when I started Forever Odd, I just couldn't get into it. I probably need to give it another try.

frik51
06-19-2011, 06:52 AM
I probably need to give it another try.

Nah, not really....;)

sk

peteOcha
06-19-2011, 07:43 PM
Oh, man, I didn't know this thread existed. Hello to all! Me, I live in West Yorkshire, England, with my wife and 2 year old daughter. You'll note I'm always late for conversations due to the time difference. As a boy I enjoyed pugilism and illustration, cartoons mostly. As a young man, filmmaking and editing, the latter of which I did for 9 years. Now, I'm happy for a silent room and good book. I'm not teaching or studying a MFA. I haven't ’t won any awards for my writing and spend most of my time locked in small room berating myself for not trying harder.

I have three novels done. The first is terrible and the other two have just been sent out to publishers. Wish me luck. One is about a writer who falls in love with a teenager, and the other is about a man who knows he will die before he is 30 years old and so with the help of a woman who likes to masturbate a lot, they induce overdoses in manic depressives to help him overcome his fear of death.

The fourth novel I'm currently writing is called, Dog Mile, which is about a small rural town in Yorkshire that is occupied by the devil. There it rains for five years, people turn into trees and time is of no consequence so people from the turn of the century converse with those from the future.

My short stories have appeared in many journals and anthologies - Some of the places who have accepted my work are, May December, The Wrong Tree Review, Medulla Publishing, Beat the Dust, Dogmatika, Cherry Bleeds, Gold Dust Magazine, Jersey Devil Press and Thieves Jargon. In the summer I will feature alongside Craig Clevenger, Stephen Graham Jones, Brian Evenson, Craig Davidson and Vincent Louis Carrella in the anthology, Warmed and Bound.

I'll also have a zombie story released called Revenge of the Pussy Eaters, and a tale called, Human Tenderloin, about a group of cannibals who enjoy fine dining due to be released in the Fall.

My CD story, 13, is one of only three horror type stories I've written. The other two are The Hole and Heart & Soul published by Colored Chalk.

I’m more magical realism, absurdist and underbelly fiction than I am horror so I’m totally overwhelmed being here. But you all seem like a cool bunch of writers so thanks for not sticking the “kick me” sign on my back just yet.

web: www.craigwallwork.blogspot.com :)

Great intro and nice to meet you! I'm late on all the threads as I live in Europe as well... Well... not really, for the past few weeks I've been here non stop, except for this weekend as it was my cousins wedding and i've been drinking a bit too much...:)

hamount
06-20-2011, 12:08 AM
I really like Odd Thomas, too, but when I started Forever Odd, I just couldn't get into it. I probably need to give it another try.

I liked Forever Odd, though that may be because there's a crazy girl in the story, and I can relate.

C.W. LaSart
06-20-2011, 01:15 AM
I liked Forever Odd, though that may be because there's a crazy girl in the story, and I can relate.

I like all the Odd Thomas stories :)

ozmosis7
06-20-2011, 02:20 AM
I like all the Odd Thomas stories :)

I'm with you. Loved Brother Odd.

hamount
06-20-2011, 09:35 PM
Yeah, the Odd series were some of my favorite books. Though I personally like the Husband, probably because it's the first book I read by him.

jester05jk
06-21-2011, 02:27 AM
The Husband was very good. I also thoroughly enjoyed The Taking.

C.W. LaSart
06-21-2011, 02:55 AM
The Husband was very good. I also thoroughly enjoyed The Taking.

OOOOOH! I forgot the Taking! Very good!

hamount
06-21-2011, 03:34 AM
Me, too. At first I couldn't get into it, so I set it aside, and I read it a little later, and I really enjoyed it. Though I thought bordered more on the supernatural genre.

miki74
06-21-2011, 06:25 PM
Hi, my name is Michele and my husband, jmcraven, recently introduced me to this website. I live in TX and have 1 son. I read all kinds of fiction, from chic lit (Jennifer Weiner) to mystery romance (Janet Evanovich) to fantasy romance (Stephenie Meyer, yes, I know!) to fantasy horror. While I have read a few books by Stephen King, and did enjoy them, I prefer Dean Koontz. I havenít actually read Dean Koontz in a while, but am thinking of reading either the Odd Thomas series (have already read the first book) or else the Frankenstein books soon. I have enjoyed getting to read a lot of the writing contest submissions, but have not been able to read all the stories yet. I also LOVE scary movies!!

C.W. LaSart
06-21-2011, 07:00 PM
Welcome to the forum Michele!

hamount
06-22-2011, 12:50 AM
Yeah, I'm relatively new myself. So, welcome to all of us newbies.

ozmosis7
06-22-2011, 01:23 AM
Hola!

Tito_Villa
06-22-2011, 11:31 AM
Hey i'm Tom from the beautiful Peak District in the middle of England. Just moved into my own place with my girlfriend so its been a crazy yet fun 2 weeks ... here's a little pic
http://i819.photobucket.com/albums/zz116/tito_villa/Photo809.jpg

A nice little cottage built in the early 1800's i think and sits opposite a stream and loads of countryside. The stream leads into a pond that is right to the left of this pic and then a waterfall that leads down the valley and through the ruins of mills from the 1700's. Were very lucky to live there :)

I have been collecting books slowly for the past 5 years and have a reasonale collection that is mainly made up of Stephen King, Joe Hill, Carlos Ruiz Zafon and James Herbert. Love CD's books, the quality is right up there and i'm sure that there will be more books on the shelves by the end of the year.

Cheers

frik51
06-22-2011, 03:50 PM
Wow, Tom, that's a lovely cottage.
We don't have too many of those where I live.

sk

miki74
06-22-2011, 04:37 PM
Welcome to the forum Michele!

Thanks! :-)

jester05jk
06-22-2011, 10:28 PM
Wow, Tom, that's a lovely cottage.
We don't have too many of those where I live.

sk

2nd

C.W. LaSart
06-22-2011, 10:57 PM
Beautiful house!

hamount
06-23-2011, 12:12 AM
Hey i'm Tom from the beautiful Peak District in the middle of England. Just moved into my own place with my girlfriend so its been a crazy yet fun 2 weeks ... here's a little pic
http://i819.photobucket.com/albums/zz116/tito_villa/Photo809.jpg

A nice little cottage built in the early 1800's i think and sits opposite a stream and loads of countryside. The stream leads into a pond that is right to the left of this pic and then a waterfall that leads down the valley and through the ruins of mills from the 1700's. Were very lucky to live there :)

I have been collecting books slowly for the past 5 years and have a reasonale collection that is mainly made up of Stephen King, Joe Hill, Carlos Ruiz Zafon and James Herbert. Love CD's books, the quality is right up there and i'm sure that there will be more books on the shelves by the end of the year.

Cheers

Beautiful place. I have a pen-pal from England so I'm learning a little more about the place everyday.

portrait in flesh
06-23-2011, 04:01 AM
What? Not a single question so far about whether Tom's cottage has a ghost or two?

Tito_Villa
06-23-2011, 08:43 AM
Haha thanks for all of the compliments everyone ... i haven't seen any ghostly goings on so far but at night the place and surrounding area has an eerily atomosphere, especially as there are no lights apart from the moon and stars if the sky is clear!

Tito_Villa
06-23-2011, 08:44 AM
Oh and here is a pic of the pond ...
http://i819.photobucket.com/albums/zz116/tito_villa/Photo811.jpg

miki74
06-23-2011, 01:14 PM
Wow! So pretty!

frik51
06-23-2011, 02:11 PM
I love it, Tom.
Someday I'll post some pictures of my typically Dutch neighbourhood...

sk

Craig Wallwork
06-23-2011, 02:26 PM

You live anywhere near Edale? I used to camp there as a kid and walk up Kinder Scout to the Downfall. Happy memories of getting lost as we walked back. I think we ended up near Snake's Pass. We were 15 years old. First time away from our parents. It was very "The Body" (Stand By Me), but without the dead kid. Though at one stage my friend Langy looked very cold on top of the mountain. He had icicles on his eyebrows.

Too, I went through hypnotherapy for a fear of flying. Part of the technique was imaging a place you felt very relaxed, your happy place. I imagined Edale, building a makeshift dam from rocks across the stream that runs in the valley. My wife and daughter were on the embankment watching on. It was NLP, and it worked.

Welcome!

Tito_Villa
06-23-2011, 02:33 PM
Siep i would love to see some of the Netherlands which is one country i definately want to visit!

Carig - I live right near the town of Matlock if you have ever heard of it? Its on the other side of the Peak District and around 20 miles away from Edale

Craig Wallwork
06-23-2011, 02:40 PM
Matlock - yeah. Don't they have an amusement park there? I think I went to it.

Craig Wallwork
06-23-2011, 02:52 PM
Actually, I may be thinking of Drayton Manor Park. I think Matlock has Gulliver's Kingdom.

Tito_Villa
06-23-2011, 02:58 PM
Thats right yeah we have a terrible amusement park for younger kids called Gulliver's, i like the area though, couldn't live in a busy city

Craig Wallwork
06-23-2011, 04:06 PM
Yes, moved to the sticks some time back myself. Live in a cottage too, in a small rural village in West Yorkshire. Backs onto farmland, so in the summer it's cows and the winter, sheep. We're close to a dam too which, when i can bothered, I go running around.

Lived in rough areas most of my life so getting into the countryside was like God turned the sound down on the world.

C.W. LaSart
06-23-2011, 06:37 PM
The Brits have invaded! AGHHHHH! :) J/K :P I have a soft spot for British people. You always seem much classier than the rest of us!

Craig Wallwork
06-23-2011, 06:48 PM
I'm assuming classy is an adjective overused in the States to describe people from the UK, just as "honest" is an overused term for politicians the world over. :D

Craig Wallwork
06-23-2011, 06:49 PM
I have a soft spot for British people.

And thanks :)

hamount
06-23-2011, 08:01 PM

Wow, it's gorgeous. I love anything water related. Sounds like a great place to live.

C.W. LaSart
06-23-2011, 09:21 PM
I'm assuming classy is an adjective overused in the States to describe people from the UK, just as "honest" is an overused term for politicians the world over. :D

It's the accent-I'm sure you're just as demented as the rest of us :)

Randy D. Rubin
06-24-2011, 08:19 AM
Tell me, Who is that wrapped in chains at the bottom of that eerie-looking pond (just to the right of center towards the back of the photo) and more importantly, what hideous fiend of a creature is feeding on it? Or is it just me PONDering out loud?

Dungle
06-29-2011, 10:04 PM
First of all my name is Dean, and I'm from the south east of England, UK.

I'm new to CD books, so was hoping to get a short list of belters for a newbie like me to get my eyes and brain stuck into!

Thanks in advance!

Craig Wallwork
06-30-2011, 03:33 PM
another fellow Ukonian! Welcome, Dean. :)

ozmosis7
06-30-2011, 07:52 PM
Welcome Dean!

frik51
06-30-2011, 08:23 PM
Hi Dean: welcome!

sk

srboone
06-30-2011, 09:31 PM
First of all my name is Dean, and I'm from the south east of England, UK.

I'm new to CD books, so was hoping to get a short list of belters for a newbie like me to get my eyes and brain stuck into!

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to our cozy little asylum, Dean!

And I'll be the dumb one: I know a "belter" as a person who does not use proper technique when getting volume in his singing voice. I don't think this is what you meant, tho...

Craig Wallwork
07-01-2011, 08:31 AM
Belter also means, great or very good. Like, "That story by Craig Wallwork called, 13, is a real belter!" :D

mhatchett
07-06-2011, 11:39 PM
My name is Mike Hatchett and I came to CD by way of October Dreams and the Al Sarrantonio books. I came to my reading taste mostly through Edgar Rice Burroughs, Robert E. Howard, Ray Bradbury, Richard Matheson, H.P. Lovecraft, Forrest J. Ackerman, C.S. Forester, Louis Lamour, Will Henry, Barry Saddler, John Norman, Karl Edward Wagner, Fritz Leiber, J.R.R., Manly Wade Wellman, Mary Stewart, Robert Heinlein, Andre Norton and many, many others, of course.
One of my Favorite horror stories, Pigeons From Hell. The University of Nebraska Press put out a quality collection of Howard's work about five years ago. Iím not much of a gore and Splatter guy. Once youíve seen, felt and SMELLED Gore and Splatter, reading about it loses its appealÖ.strangely. But I do enjoy horror stories. Iíve been collecting since I was 14. A sentimental favorite is ERBís The Lost Continent, previously published as beyond Thirty. A word of encouragement to folks that are having to part with their collections or books. Iíve had to sell my collection twice. Believe it or not, with perseverance, youíll get them all back.
Odd collection twist, vintage Martial Arts magazines. Count Dante!! CD seems like a nice place to hang about and I look forward to getting to know Yíall.
Mike
Chaos 3/8 Cav, Richmond, VA

ozmosis7
07-06-2011, 11:40 PM
Welcome!

mhatchett
07-07-2011, 12:56 AM
Thanks!

Randy D. Rubin
07-07-2011, 08:02 AM
Hello Mike. Welcome to the land of the insomniac ac ac ac ac ac. You ought to know by now... SO do you write 'em as well as read 'em, Molly Hatchett (there I changed your name to an awesome group's name 'cause like we're an awesome group.) I wrote over 3500 words yesterday on my latest story and I'm zorched. Anyway welcome to the forum fold.

Tito_Villa
07-07-2011, 08:55 AM
Welcome Mike!

mhatchett
07-07-2011, 04:23 PM
Thanks! Loved your pictures.

frik51
07-08-2011, 12:34 AM
Welcome, Mike.
Nice to see Forrest J. Ackerman mentioned.
He's also one of my mentors.
The day I met him in his Hollyweird Ackermansion is one I'll never forget.

sk

mhatchett
07-11-2011, 01:14 PM
Randy,
No real writng yet, just piddling. I'm saving something for retirement. Lots of research and ideas, odd jottings. We'll see. Let me know how the creative vein runs for you.

Randy D. Rubin
07-13-2011, 12:49 PM
Although I've been writing for decades, I'm new to this publishing thing, due to lack of confidence and paranoia, computer illiteracy and fear of rejection to something I literally love to do. I've recently taken the plunge, got my first real rejection from Evil Jester Press and like a band-aid ripped off quickly, it didn't hurt as bad as I thought. I'll definitely shout out my first publication when it happens, though, to all my new friends here at the Forum.

C.W. LaSart
07-13-2011, 03:50 PM
Although I've been writing for decades, I'm new to this publishing thing, due to lack of confidence and paranoia, computer illiteracy and fear of rejection to something I literally love to do. I've recently taken the plunge, got my first real rejection from Evil Jester Press and like a band-aid ripped off quickly, it didn't hurt as bad as I thought. I'll definitely shout out my first publication when it happens, though, to all my new friends here at the Forum.

Look forward to hearing that news!

mhatchett
07-13-2011, 04:29 PM
Rejection is just part of life. Pitch it in there inside and fast. Hang in there and Live the Legend!!HAHAHA!!

gcgirl
07-22-2011, 08:21 AM
Maya here - finally taking part in the forums! What took me so long?

So, I first discovered CD way back in '94 when I plucked CD magazine #19 off the shelf of a bookstore somewhere. Wow! What a great issue. Most of the fiction in there made it into The Best of CD Vol. 1, which of course I own, along with Vol. 2. My lifelong love affair with horror probably begins with fairy tales (some Grimm, others not), picks up steam with a crumbly old paperback of Vault of Horror comics my dad had lying around, and crosses the point of no return when I discovered Stephen King. I went from being so freaked out by the cover of Carrie (my older sister's copy - Sissy Spacek covered in blood) to staying up all night discovering Christine in just a couple short years. How DOES one go back to normal after that? ;)

My rapacious appetite for literary horror is mostly fueled by a determination to find the "next" Stephen King. Of course, this is an impossible task, but along the way I've discovered some truly awesome writers and even some one-off gems. I'm not a collector of special editions, but I have certainly kept a LOT of books - visit my librarything bookshelf to see what I've kept (creeping up on 2,000 books, yikes).

By day I look after my kids, squeeze in as much reading time as I can, and try to stay off forums such as these. By night I've pretty much given up trying to accomplish anything useful and seek refuge in books, trawl forums, and generally waste time better spent sleeping.

I used to participate once in a blue moon on the Leisure Horror forum, and I am a fan of Delirium Books. Two of the items on my bucket list are: 1) Learn to play the piano passably well, and 2) Read everything by Greg Gifune.

Have I mentioned that I'm thrilled CD has a forum now?

ozmosis7
07-22-2011, 12:42 PM
Welcome, Maya!

peteOcha
07-22-2011, 01:17 PM
Welcome Maya! Hopefully you'll share some of that collection you have in the Collector's sub forum.:)

Tito_Villa
07-22-2011, 01:45 PM
Welcome!!!

mhatchett
07-22-2011, 03:40 PM
Hi,
Welcome aboard. Lots of nice people on here.
Mike

Randy D. Rubin
07-22-2011, 05:48 PM
Look no further Maya. You are in good company here. Oh yeah... and one of us, (I'm not mentioning any names, mind you) actually IS the next Stephen King. It's up to you to figure out which one of us it is. So guess... come on... guess who it is. Come on... somebody play with me!

frik51
07-23-2011, 02:02 AM
Welcome, Maya!
Great to have you here.

sk

portrait in flesh
07-23-2011, 06:42 PM
Look no further Maya. You are in good company here. Oh yeah... and one of us, (I'm not mentioning any names, mind you) actually IS the next Stephen King. It's up to you to figure out which one of us it is. So guess... come on... guess who it is. Come on... somebody play with me!

Well, my eyesight's as bad as King's...

srboone
07-23-2011, 07:29 PM
And in college, I named some goldfish I had "Karl"and "Freddy" after Marx and Engels......

mhatchett
07-24-2011, 01:25 PM
Stephen who?? I have missed something....

Mac Campbell
08-19-2011, 03:22 AM
Hello Cemetery Dance! Good Morning Vietnam!

I've been posting at the Horror Drive-in and the Keenedom. But the Keenedom is shutting down, and like a piece of detritus from a shipwreck I have washed up here.

I'm a horror writer but you've never heard of me. "Is he any good?" you ask. Well, I have five short stories on my blog. You can have a look. They're pretty good if I do say so myself.

First horror novel ever read? The Dark, by James Herbert. First book ever? Same book. Horror taught me that reading can take you everywhere, and up until I read The Dark I was a slow and reluctant reader. I was hooked from then on. I got into King later. Is it true the next Steve King is on this thread? Is that what I read a page ago? Cool. Although when I think of it, the reviews on every horror novel book jacket say that.

Best horror novel ever? Blood Meridian, by Cormac McCarthy. Worst? That book by Snookie.

Anyhoo, I thought I'd de-lurk and say hello. In case my signature doesn't work, I'll give my literary home address: http://iwritehorror.blogspot.com

Have a good evening, everyone!

- Mac Campbell

hamount
08-20-2011, 01:24 AM

Actually Forever Odd wasn't the best of the series, but to get to understand the rest of the books you need to know what happens in Forever Odd, though many disagree with me on that point.

Carcinogen
08-20-2011, 04:52 AM
Hello, Hello...

Brand new here and I guess the S.O.P. is to introduce myself...

Old man, love horror, what else is there to say?

My favorite genre authors are: Brian Keene, Jeff Strand, Wrath James White, Edward Lee, Richard Laymon, John Everson, J.F. Gonzalez, Kelli Owen, Carlton Mellick III, Bryan Smith, James Newman, Steve Alten, Robert R. McCammon, Andy Deane, Nate Southard, Ronald Malfi, William Ollie, and I could probably go on for a little longer but I think that will suffice for now.

I had some art pieces used for Endsheets in Maelstrom 2 from Thunderstorm books, and pre-reading for an up and coming author.

That's me.

C.W. LaSart
08-20-2011, 07:34 PM
Hello to Mac and Carcinogen. I'm sure you will enjoy the forum!

Nicole Cushing
08-20-2011, 08:11 PM
Nicole Cushing here...I'm a contributor to the CD anthology In Laymon's Terms and also contributed to last year's John Skipp anthology Werewolves & Shape Shifters: Encounters with the Beast Within. Eraserhead Press published my short story collection, How to Eat Fried Furries.

Currently writing short stories and revising my first novel.

Glad to meet y'all.

ozmosis7
08-20-2011, 08:18 PM
Welcome Nicole!

ozmosis7
08-20-2011, 08:19 PM
Also a belated hello to Mac and Carcinogen as well.

peteOcha
08-20-2011, 09:10 PM
Welcome Nicole, Mac, and Carcinogen! Good to have you! :)

Mac Campbell
08-21-2011, 12:09 AM
Hey, Nicole! We've exchanged the odd word over on shocklines.
I can see the Keene migration has begun.

mhatchett
08-21-2011, 02:10 PM
Welcome, Welcome!!! I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay.
MDH

C.W. LaSart
08-21-2011, 04:22 PM
Welcome to all the new members-Keene or otherwise

Nicole Cushing
08-21-2011, 08:06 PM
Hey, Nicole! We've exchanged the odd word over on shocklines.
I can see the Keene migration has begun.

I hung out at the Keenedom in it's earlier days -- but migrated away as social networking got going. I didn't even know about the CD forum until it was mentioned on Brian's blog, though (glad to be here, now).

Nicole

Pennywise
08-21-2011, 08:21 PM
Hello, my name is Pennywise and I'm an evil clown born from the twisted mind of one Stephen King.

No, fooled you, I'm not actually Pennywise. My name is Marc, I'm 30 years old and I'm Dutch. I've posted on this forum before (not much) but I thought I'd introduce myself properly. To be fair, I'm more of a forum lurker than a poster - there's quite a few forums that I read daily, one of which is thedarktower.org - so I don't know if I'll write here much. I know there are CD discounts that you get if you post often, so I might have to change from lurker to poster :). Anyway, I found out about CD after having read about Blockade Billy on King's website (as did many people, apparently) and after that I ordered quite a few CD books. Currently, I'm expecting nine CD titles (The Mailman, Lucifer's Lottery, It, King Blood, Undead, Kin, So Cold The River, The Cypress House and The Ridge) and they probably won't be the last nine. It's quite addictive, isn't it? I'm especially looking forward to It. Even though I could only afford the gift edition it's still going to be an awesome book, I reckon. I read It for the first (and last) time about 18 years ago and it was my first "grown up" book. As a result it is still my favorite book of all time.

One day I'd like to be able to go to work on Monday, arrange a meeting with my boss and tell him that I've had a great time working there but I'm going to have to hand in my resignation because a famous publisher wants to publish my first book and it's going to earn me a lot of money so I'm going to be a full time writer from now on. Ahhh.... dreams, sweet dreams.

Well, that's it for now. Going to continue reading Simon Clark's King Blood (yes, also a CD title...). Will undoubtedly continue lurking, if not writing.

Greetings,

Pennywise.

Steveo
08-22-2011, 12:36 AM
Hi My name is Steve, my friends call me Steveo. (NO relation to the Jackass Steve-O, thank you..) I'm 36 and I'm a transplant from the now defunct Keenedom. I like all types of horror: Books, Movies, TV. I collect Comic Books and comic related toys. I'm just your average Horror/Comic Fanboy and I'm hoping to reconnect with some of my old pals from the Keene forum and hopefully meet some new friends. I love Zombies. I do not have a Facebook/Myspace/Twitter account....I prefer forums. I guess I'm old fashioned, but oh well. Thanks for having me!!

ozmosis7
08-22-2011, 12:59 AM
Hola Marc!

Mac Campbell
08-22-2011, 03:51 AM
Howdy, Marc and Steve!

Carcinogen
08-22-2011, 06:42 AM
Hi My name is Steve, my friends call me Steveo. (NO relation to the Jackass Steve-O, thank you..) I'm 36 and I'm a transplant from the now defunct Keenedom. I like all types of horror: Books, Movies, TV. I collect Comic Books and comic related toys. I'm just your average Horror/Comic Fanboy and I'm hoping to reconnect with some of my old pals from the Keene forum and hopefully meet some new friends. I love Zombies. I do not have a Facebook/Myspace/Twitter account....I prefer forums. I guess I'm old fashioned, but oh well. Thanks for having me!!

I'm with you Steveo. I left out that I too was a Keenedom transplant. thewalls over there, but that name had to go for what it represented to me. This one fits me better. lol. I do have the F.B. and Twitter accounts, but neither mean a damn thing to me. I am a forum person deep down. It seems like just the right way to get all the info and updates that you need. So here we go...

Tito_Villa
08-22-2011, 10:44 AM
Welcome everyone and Mac its good to see a fellow Herbert fan on here, i love 'The Dark'!

Endless Horror Tale
08-22-2011, 12:06 PM
Good morning all!

As per usual, it seems that I didn't do things the standard way here. So, here is my belated introduction. My name is Jon, I'm 36 and live in Austin, Texas. I work full-time as an instructional & graphic designer for a major telecommunications company, and like many here, harbor a dream of being able to one day use my writing skills for good rather than for corporate evil. :p

I'm a little late to the CD party, having only discovered this haven for horror hounds in July when searching the internet for something I'd heard about an anniversary edition of IT. Needless to say, since then I've developed a bit of a problem - you might even say a compulsion. Dan and Mindy have helped feed my addiction, so I guess I owe them a debt of gratitude. ;)

My horror tastes tend to skew towards Stephen King, George Romero, older Clive Barker, Neil Gaiman, Jack Ketchum, and the like. I've recently finished and enjoyed books by Thomas Tessier, Ray Garton, Ronald Kelly, Brian James Freeman, and Joe Hill. My to-read pile includes some stuff I'm really anxious to dive into - Kealan Patrick Burke, Simon Clark, Edward Lee, and Norman Partridge, to name just a few.

I'm not always the most prolific participant in message boards, but I lurk and read, and pipe up when I have something to say. And yes, I frequently start to play the game before I bother reading the directions...

So Hello! CD Forums!

ozmosis7
08-22-2011, 12:51 PM
An overdue welcome to you then Jon.

C.W. LaSart
08-22-2011, 08:14 PM
Welcome Jon

srboone
08-23-2011, 01:55 AM
Join the party, Jon!!!

peteOcha
08-23-2011, 07:21 AM
Welcome Jon!

PaulB
08-23-2011, 09:49 AM
Welcome Jon. I discovered Kealan Patrick Burke through this forum and am now making my way through as many of his books as I can.

Endless Horror Tale
08-23-2011, 12:35 PM
Thanks everyone! I'm digging the forums (and every CD book I've been able to get my grubby little hands on) so far!

gsconquest
08-25-2011, 11:14 PM
Hello all, my name is Guy and I live in Murfreesboro Tennessee. I started reading Koontz and King around the fourth grade when my mother wasn't looking. I recently had to seriously cull my paperback horror collection becasue it was getting way out of hand. After selling around three hundred books I began rebuilding by buying limiteds. So far my collection is pretty small and mostly anything James A Moore, who is fantastic. I used to lurk on the Keenedom and have learned about many great writers from there.

ozmosis7
08-25-2011, 11:21 PM
Welcome guy!

Randy D. Rubin
08-26-2011, 08:14 AM
Welcome Jon and Guy, it's a great forum you're falling into here. There's some really talented peeps here.

Tito_Villa
08-26-2011, 11:02 AM
Hey Guy!

Endless Horror Tale
08-26-2011, 11:32 AM
Welcome aboard, Guy!

C.W. LaSart
08-26-2011, 01:39 PM
Welcome to the forum Guy! I feel your pain about the book collection. You will like it here!

mhatchett
08-27-2011, 01:19 PM
Hey,
Welcome. Just like a good garden, collections have to be weeded from time to time. You have to make room for new growth!

gsconquest
08-29-2011, 04:24 AM
Thanks all for the warm welcome. As for the collection, well it seems to have bounced back nicely already. Somehow, I can always justify buying a book or two.

Menace
09-05-2011, 03:05 PM
Hello everyone. I was sure that I had already introduced myself on this forum but I guess I only dreamed I did. That being the case My Name is Steve and I'm from Moncton New Brunswick Canada. My forum name Menace has been a nick name I've used for the past 20 years I got this nickname by playing practical jokes at work ...well actually it was that F**king C***sucker but I shortened it to Menace. The book that got me reading was Stephen King's The Stand. It was 1981, I was eightteen at the time, I was sitting home alone. All my friends were working. I was out of beer and smoked my last joint the day before and the cable tv was on the fritz. So I decided to read this book my sister loaned me a month ago. I was hooked from the first page, I couldn't put it down. After I read the stand I went out and found every other Stephen King book out there at the time. Shortly after I discovered Dean Koontz, Robert McCammon, Orson Scott Card, Alan Dean Foster and so many more great authors that I was reading up to 5 novels a week depending of the page count. I don't read as much as I'd like to now. I started collecting Limited editions 2 years ago most of them CD books I picked up on ebay. What I love about Cemetery Dance Publications is that I can buy a limited edition book for pretty much the same price I would pay for the regular hard cover edition here. Sometimes cheaper. I do like to write. I'm not very good at it but I don't care. I do a monthly newsletter at work and every once in a while I'll throw in a short story and the staff seems to like them. And that's what counts as long as one person can enjoy something I've written I am happy.

Steve

ozmosis7
09-05-2011, 03:13 PM
Welcome, Steve!

Tito_Villa
09-05-2011, 03:26 PM
Hellooooooo Steve!

Ben Staad
09-05-2011, 03:30 PM
Welcome to the forum Steve! I'm glad to hear your a writer as well. Keep writing for the joy of writing as that is what it's all about.

C.W. LaSart
09-05-2011, 04:19 PM
A warm welcome Steve!

theenormityofitall
09-05-2011, 06:49 PM
Hi STEVE!:)

Mr. Rice
09-15-2011, 08:58 PM
My name is Gerald. I discovered CD wayyyyy back in 1990-something when my mother's husband gave me a copy. I remember it had a short story by Stephen King called "Chattery Teeth". But I've been a horror fan ever since I was little (I saw The Howling and Creepshow when I was five or somewhere around there). But when I started writing, CD was the first place where I submitted. My short story "Night of the Loving Dead" was terrible- completely unoriginal and a plot you could see coming a mile off. Needless to say, I had a lot to learn. I've been published since then. I wrote a novel called "The Ghost Toucher" and I'm working on the follow-up now. I even just published my own novella last month.

Looking forward to getting to know you all.

peteOcha
09-21-2011, 11:36 AM
Welcome Steve and Gerald!

Tito_Villa
09-21-2011, 11:46 AM
Hellooooooooooooooooo

frik51
09-21-2011, 01:21 PM
Welcome, guys!

sk

mhatchett
09-22-2011, 12:13 AM
Welcome aboard all newish folk! You'll enjoy it!

theenormityofitall
09-24-2011, 06:57 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Ron K
10-07-2011, 01:13 AM
Hi, my name is Ron. I've been lurking here for awhile now and decided it was time to say hello. I have been married 15 years to the best woman I know and have three outstanding kids ranging from 10 years old to 6 months old. I read all the time. I started reading Stephen King, Dean Koontz and Robert McCammon when I was 12 via the books my Dad left laying around the house. I am a big time comic book / graphic novel reader since for as long as I can remember. Comics are really my "thing", the area where I feel most confident in my knowledge, know the most industry folks etc. I have thousands of comics and hundreds of hardbacks ... God help my wife. Frik 51 cracks me up because at times our reading runs very similar ... who else reads Disney collections, Creepy archives etc along with horror and classics? Apparently, I'm not the only one. I've only recenlty started buying Cemetery Dance and honestly it has everything to do with my perception of the company and it's web presence ... well, plus I love horror fiction and collectibles. Anyway, thanks for all the content here - I always enjoy it. Hopefully I can get in on the fun.

theenormityofitall
10-08-2011, 05:59 PM
Hi Ron, if you like comics, you have to visit The Overlook Connection, they have just about everything King related you can think of (if you're interested in King). Cosmic Therapy is another good place.
Anyway, welcome aboard and I hope you have some fun on here!

srboone
10-08-2011, 06:13 PM
Good to have you on board, Ron.

frik51
10-09-2011, 04:38 AM
Love your good taste, Ron! :)

And welcome!

sk

Ron K
10-11-2011, 02:38 AM
Thanks all, appreciate the warm welcome ... and frik51, I saw you mention a Robert E Howard collectors edition. I am a BIG Howard fan, seeing you mention it made me grin.

ozmosis7
10-11-2011, 11:37 AM
Welcome Ron!

TerryE
10-11-2011, 04:19 PM
Ron, it might be you, Siep, and myself. Siep and I were reading the Donald collections at the same time. And my DC Absolute editions are some of the pride of my collection, but won't stay pristine due to reading them. It keeps me from handling the originals, not that they are convenient to dig out of the boxes anyway.

frik51
10-11-2011, 07:27 PM
Ron, it might be you, Siep, and myself.

The three Mousketeers....:o

sk

TerryE
10-11-2011, 08:26 PM
I'd much rather be a Junior Woodchuck. They have that great guidebook.

Ron K
10-12-2011, 12:33 AM
Ron, it might be you, Siep, and myself. Siep and I were reading the Donald collections at the same time. And my DC Absolute editions are some of the pride of my collection, but won't stay pristine due to reading them. It keeps me from handling the originals, not that they are convenient to dig out of the boxes anyway.

This must be someone playing a practical joke on me ... ha ha, real funny!

On a serious note though, those Absolutes make me very happy. :)

TerryE
10-12-2011, 02:34 PM
Ron, what makes you think it's a joke? Back in college I worked at a comic book store, so my collection is quite large (mostly DCs & independents from the 80s), and all stacked in long boxes on a couple skids in the basement. My wife keeps asking when I plan on getting rid of them. I tell her never!

And I've been a huge King fan since soon after the 'Salem's Lot miniseries originally aired, so... 1979 (had to look it up).

RJK1981
10-12-2011, 03:49 PM
My wife keeps asking when I plan on getting rid of them. I tell her never!

You could just keep telling her you'll get to it tomorrow. When tomorrow comes it becomes today, so tomorrow actually doesn't ever happen ;) I tend to be a smartass, so I like giving this answer, don't think my wife likes it though, lol

Grant Wootton
10-13-2011, 03:34 AM
Sigh ... I finally pulled my head out of the Members Collection forum (as one, two, maybe three of you guys would know :p) and see there are other threads I can stick my two bob's worth into ... I'm lucky, he's lucky, you're lucky ... we're all luuucky ;) Okay, Valium's kicked in, nerves settled ... So, I'm Grant, middle aged grumpy old fart from Parramatta, Sydney (Australia), have been reading since about 4 or 5 (my first collection of books was at age 7, when my father brought home an orange crate full of ex-library books, including complete sets of Enid Blyton's "Famous Five" and "Secret Seven" - loved them, although, if read today, they're so politically incorrect it'd bring tears - of laughter - to your eyes). Have been a King fan since I wasn't old enough to see the original "Carrie" in the cinema cos of the rating, so went out and purchased the paperback - and haven't looked back. My goal, mission, passion - nah, obsession, is to collect everything, I mean EVERYTHING King related, with a couple of other bibs and bobs added for good measure (Koontz, Lee, Ketchum, Slaughter, et al) .... I work as an office manager for a wholesale meat company, which is ironic cos I don't like meat so much, work strange hours (my day kicks off at 2am - which works well for jumping online with some of my American cohorts, forum wise). Found CD (like a couple of others) through Blockade Billy, and have been driving Mindy and Kate nuts ever since. Hmm, what else ... Oh yeah, I have a very understanding (in terms of work hours and SK obsession) partner in Connie (who's an artist in her spare time) ... And, finally, I fess up to reading Clive Cussler (bad) and Jackie Collins (worse, much, much worse) when I want reading that I don't have to think about. Good to meet you all (including those, such as Squire, Siep, Tom, Mr Elk, that have already become forum buddies) :cool:

srboone
10-13-2011, 04:38 AM
... I'm lucky, he's lucky, you're lucky ... we're all luuucky ;) .

But the bannister's the luckiest of all!:o

An official welcome then, Grant! Just don't forget about the Member's Collections section! And be careful when you're jumping to the left and stepping to the right (we middle-agers aren't as agile as we used to be.)

Grant Wootton
10-13-2011, 04:49 AM
But the bannister's the luckiest of all!:o

An official welcome then, Grant! Just don't forget about the Member's Collections section! And be careful when you're jumping to the left and stepping to the right (we middle-agers aren't as agile as we used to be.)

Tell me about it Squire, have my work cut out just dusting off the grandfather clock in the hallway nowadays ;) Forget about the Members Collection section ??? Not on your nelly mate, I've still got heaps of stuff to post, but have to restrict myself to one a day otherwise Connie starts making those funny little growling sounds that should be cute but are just plain scary :p

Ron K
10-13-2011, 11:45 PM
Ron, what makes you think it's a joke? Back in college I worked at a comic book store, so my collection is quite large (mostly DCs & independents from the 80s), and all stacked in long boxes on a couple skids in the basement. My wife keeps asking when I plan on getting rid of them. I tell her never!

And I've been a huge King fan since soon after the 'Salem's Lot miniseries originally aired, so... 1979 (had to look it up).

We need to exchange notes on comics .... I want to fire up a conversation. maybe I will start something in the general thread. Is that kosher?

srboone
10-14-2011, 12:14 AM
Start a new thread, Ron. I've been out of the comic book scene since the early 90's, but it'd be interesting to read and chime in if I have anything to add.

theenormityofitall
10-16-2011, 01:42 AM
Sigh ... I finally pulled my head out of the Members Collection forum (as one, two, maybe three of you guys would know :p) and see there are other threads I can stick my two bob's worth into ... I'm lucky, he's lucky, you're lucky ... we're all luuucky ;) Okay, Valium's kicked in, nerves settled ... So, I'm Grant, middle aged grumpy old fart from Parramatta, Sydney (Australia), have been reading since about 4 or 5 (my first collection of books was at age 7, when my father brought home an orange crate full of ex-library books, including complete sets of Enid Blyton's "Famous Five" and "Secret Seven" - loved them, although, if read today, they're so politically incorrect it'd bring tears - of laughter - to your eyes). Have been a King fan since I wasn't old enough to see the original "Carrie" in the cinema cos of the rating, so went out and purchased the paperback - and haven't looked back. My goal, mission, passion - nah, obsession, is to collect everything, I mean EVERYTHING King related, with a couple of other bibs and bobs added for good measure (Koontz, Lee, Ketchum, Slaughter, et al) .... I work as an office manager for a wholesale meat company, which is ironic cos I don't like meat so much, work strange hours (my day kicks off at 2am - which works well for jumping online with some of my American cohorts, forum wise). Found CD (like a couple of others) through Blockade Billy, and have been driving Mindy and Kate nuts ever since. Hmm, what else ... Oh yeah, I have a very understanding (in terms of work hours and SK obsession) partner in Connie (who's an artist in her spare time) ... And, finally, I fess up to reading Clive Cussler (bad) and Jackie Collins (worse, much, much worse) when I want reading that I don't have to think about. Good to meet you all (including those, such as Squire, Siep, Tom, Mr Elk, that have already become forum buddies) :cool:

LOL everything?? TV Guide articles, comics, magazines King wrote in, etc, etc??? Damn the comics alone drive me nuts. I forget what I have then buy the same ones over again. Like I posted elsewhere here, I finally decided on the HC editions when the comic series is over. It's just too much.
BTW, anyone here have any Boneyard Press comics? In the early or mid 90's, I bought some really odd ones like Jeffrey Dahmer vs. Jesus Christ and an even more sick comic on Richard Speck (sp?). I guess I have around 2 dozen or so. They went defunct a long time ago but I have some signed issues. Wonder if they're worth anything? Those titles don't exactly fit with my conservative political views, but I've never been a prude :)

Grant Wootton
10-16-2011, 04:59 AM
LOL everything?? TV Guide articles, comics, magazines King wrote in, etc, etc??? Damn the comics alone drive me nuts. I forget what I have then buy the same ones over again. Like I posted elsewhere here, I finally decided on the HC editions when the comic series is over. It's just too much.
BTW, anyone here have any Boneyard Press comics? In the early or mid 90's, I bought some really odd ones like Jeffrey Dahmer vs. Jesus Christ and an even more sick comic on Richard Speck (sp?). I guess I have around 2 dozen or so. They went defunct a long time ago but I have some signed issues. Wonder if they're worth anything? Those titles don't exactly fit with my conservative political views, but I've never been a prude :)

Yep, pretty much everything (short stories, interviews, etc) - the "project" I'm currently working on is putting together the Castle Rock magazine from the 80's - have all bar five issues of it :)

frik51
10-16-2011, 06:16 AM
the "project" I'm currently working on is putting together the Castle Rock magazine from the 80's - have all bar five issues of it :)

I was lucky to be a subscriber, practically from day one. Those were the days..

sk

Grant Wootton
10-16-2011, 05:27 PM
I was lucky to be a subscriber, practically from day one. Those were the days..

sk

Cool - wish I'd even been aware of subscribing and so forth a lot earlier than I did, although, putting together collections is an enjoyable passtime, thrill of the hunt and all :cool:

theenormityofitall
10-17-2011, 12:54 AM
Yep, pretty much everything (short stories, interviews, etc) - the "project" I'm currently working on is putting together the Castle Rock magazine from the 80's - have all bar five issues of it :)

Man. That'd be too much for me to try and collect everything, whether it be from an author or stuff from horror movies or whatever. It used to be enough for me just to get all of King's books through the Stephen King Library (almost all of them)...I don't worry about first editions unless it's a signed trade or limited...then I got caught up in comics but I'm over that phase and just get the HCs. I remember Castle Rock and could of subscribed, but I'm not a King fanatic as Frik knows lol. And I don't mean "fanatic" in a bad way. I'm fanatical about certain things too.

Grant Wootton
10-17-2011, 06:51 PM
Man. That'd be too much for me to try and collect everything, whether it be from an author or stuff from horror movies or whatever. It used to be enough for me just to get all of King's books through the Stephen King Library (almost all of them)...I don't worry about first editions unless it's a signed trade or limited...then I got caught up in comics but I'm over that phase and just get the HCs. I remember Castle Rock and could of subscribed, but I'm not a King fanatic as Frik knows lol. And I don't mean "fanatic" in a bad way. I'm fanatical about certain things too.

There was a time, seems so long ago now, where I had set a target for myself of owning a hardcover copy of all SK and Koontz books, nothing fancy, nothing complicated. Then, when trying to source some of the older ones (Australia is serviced, SK wise, by Hodder & Stoughton, and all we have here nowadays are the large soft cover versions of books imported) I found a whole new world of SK books - I'd never heard of SoD, Blockade Billy (neither of which have, or will ever be, released here in Australia). So, one thing led to another, and now I'm book rich and money poor ;) Would I change that if I could ?? Nope, not at all !!!!

theenormityofitall
10-17-2011, 07:13 PM
There was a time, seems so long ago now, where I had set a target for myself of owning a hardcover copy of all SK and Koontz books, nothing fancy, nothing complicated. Then, when trying to source some of the older ones (Australia is serviced, SK wise, by Hodder & Stoughton, and all we have here nowadays are the large soft cover versions of books imported) I found a whole new world of SK books - I'd never heard of SoD, Blockade Billy (neither of which have, or will ever be, released here in Australia). So, one thing led to another, and now I'm book rich and money poor ;) Would I change that if I could ?? Nope, not at all !!!!

You can't get Blockade Billy in Australia??? That amazes me. Or do you just mean the edition with the baseball card? I bought that one here on CD I think, along with the slipcase then I got the "regular" one from the SKL....can't you just buy it on Amazon or the other places online that have it? As for SOD, I was lucky and able to buy both limiteds but I don't even know if they were also released by another publisher at a later date than when CD published them or what (I just don't keep up with that stuff; as long as I have the first edition, I'm satisfied).
And like I said on here previously, I was fanatical about trying to get every single comic based on King's work when they started with that, but it was driving me nuts so I had to quit. Just too damn many and no room to put them all. Just the HCs is all I try to remember nowadays to get.

Grant Wootton
10-17-2011, 08:04 PM
You can't get Blockade Billy in Australia??? That amazes me. Or do you just mean the edition with the baseball card? I bought that one here on CD I think, along with the slipcase then I got the "regular" one from the SKL....can't you just buy it on Amazon or the other places online that have it? As for SOD, I was lucky and able to buy both limiteds but I don't even know if they were also released by another publisher at a later date than when CD published them or what (I just don't keep up with that stuff; as long as I have the first edition, I'm satisfied).
And like I said on here previously, I was fanatical about trying to get every single comic based on King's work when they started with that, but it was driving me nuts so I had to quit. Just too damn many and no room to put them all. Just the HCs is all I try to remember nowadays to get.

Nope, no Blockade Billy in any form Down Under - and it's getting more difficult to simply walk into a bookstore nowadays and find anything other than soft covers (speciality stores cater for some, but not all, of the hardcovers such as I collect) and it's worse now cos Borders and Angus & Robertson (an Australian chain) went under earlier this year. Having said that, now I use a combination of eBay, Abebooks, Amazon and CD for my collectible requirements now, so it's all good (although it's a shame that this doesn't support local businesses). SoD, I think you'll find, "belongs" to CD, so you won't see them published by anyone else anytime soon. As regards the comics, I'm still collecting the arcs as they're published (Dark Tower, The Stand, American Vampire) which I keep intact, then order the hardcover when it's released - like you say, it takes up a fair bit of space, but for now I'll continue to run with both ;)

theenormityofitall
10-18-2011, 12:38 AM
Nope, no Blockade Billy in any form Down Under - and it's getting more difficult to simply walk into a bookstore nowadays and find anything other than soft covers (speciality stores cater for some, but not all, of the hardcovers such as I collect) and it's worse now cos Borders and Angus & Robertson (an Australian chain) went under earlier this year. Having said that, now I use a combination of eBay, Abebooks, Amazon and CD for my collectible requirements now, so it's all good (although it's a shame that this doesn't support local businesses). SoD, I think you'll find, "belongs" to CD, so you won't see them published by anyone else anytime soon. As regards the comics, I'm still collecting the arcs as they're published (Dark Tower, The Stand, American Vampire) which I keep intact, then order the hardcover when it's released - like you say, it takes up a fair bit of space, but for now I'll continue to run with both ;)

I still can't get over that. It's not like Australia is a third world country or somethin' lol. It would seem you could just walk into a bookstore and pick it up. But like both of us said, you can always get it from Amazon and the other places online. I don't know if they'll ship overseas, but I think both Betts and the Overlook Coonection have both SOD books. But Betts would have the price you'd want...a lot lower. But as for the comics...I did buy the first full ARC of the DT one, but that was it. I then reserved the 2 HC set by Marvel. But then like a dope, I ended up buying the American Vampire comic thinking it was only a few issues long and now it's like up to 12 or something? Anyway, I just forgot about that set and wasted money on it. Like I said, just the HCs nowadays. Do you know if that series will be published in HC??

Dan Hocker
10-18-2011, 12:49 AM
But then like a dope, I ended up buying the American Vampire comic thinking it was only a few issues long and now it's like up to 12 or something?

I think King was only involved in the first hardcover of American Vampire. He's not listed as an author on the 2nd Hardcover.

Grant Wootton
10-18-2011, 04:15 AM
I think King was only involved in the first hardcover of American Vampire. He's not listed as an author on the 2nd Hardcover.

100% Mr Hocker, everything after Volume 1 is without King (I have all of them up to the end of the last full arc - # 18). It's one of those that I started because of King's involvement and continued cos the stories are pretty darn good :)

Grant Wootton
10-18-2011, 04:21 AM
I still can't get over that. It's not like Australia is a third world country or somethin' lol. It would seem you could just walk into a bookstore and pick it up. But like both of us said, you can always get it from Amazon and the other places online. I don't know if they'll ship overseas, but I think both Betts and the Overlook Coonection have both SOD books. But Betts would have the price you'd want...a lot lower. But as for the comics...I did buy the first full ARC of the DT one, but that was it. I then reserved the 2 HC set by Marvel. But then like a dope, I ended up buying the American Vampire comic thinking it was only a few issues long and now it's like up to 12 or something? Anyway, I just forgot about that set and wasted money on it. Like I said, just the HCs nowadays. Do you know if that series will be published in HC??

David from Betts is almost an old friend now, I found him early on in the piece and order the odd item here and there from him :D As regards SoD's, I'm covered there, just waiting on my SoD V 1 Lettered which I found thanks to Mindy - when I have this in my hot little hands, I'll have five states of each book (ARC, Gift, Remarqued Gift, Signed Number and Lettered) .. As to American Vampire, I've the 2nd arc in HC, and the comics up to # 18 - there are more, but I tend to wait until a complete arc has been released then grab it.

frik51
10-18-2011, 08:28 AM
I'll have five states of each book

Now what did I tell you?! :)

sk

Grant Wootton
10-18-2011, 03:28 PM
Now what did I tell you?! :)

sk

Sigh ... you're right, Siep - absolutely no self control whatsoever :D

theenormityofitall
10-19-2011, 01:33 AM
I'll have five states of each book (ARC, Gift, Remarqued Gift, Signed Number and Lettered)

LOL. I think the only two states of a book I have is the limited of Little Sisters...and the Gift/Artist version whatever it's called.
Well, I do have the trade of FDNS signed by King and I think the remarqued Gift version from here at CD? It's some Gift version. My memory's getting bad but I know I bought it here whatever it is.

jester05jk
10-19-2011, 02:16 AM
I own 5 copies of only one title, "Dragon Tears" by Koontz. I have ARC, US first hb, UK first hb, pb for everyday reading, and Dark Harvest numbered. Maybe one day I'll get the lettered. I do own 2 copies of many Ketchum books and 3 of like 2.

Grant Wootton
10-19-2011, 05:26 AM
LOL. I think the only two states of a book I have is the limited of Little Sisters...and the Gift/Artist version whatever it's called.
Well, I do have the trade of FDNS signed by King and I think the remarqued Gift version from here at CD? It's some Gift version. My memory's getting bad but I know I bought it here whatever it is.

Uummm ..... Mr Enormity (or may I call you All ?? ;)) I'm highly embarrassed (but as Siep so clearly elucidates, on the odd occasion - I have no, absolutely no, self control) .. I cannot lay claim to five states of FDNS (the CD version) ... cos I don't have an ARC ------ yet :D ... Having said that, I don't have the flat signed Scribner version :(

Grant Wootton
10-19-2011, 05:29 AM
I own 5 copies of only one title, "Dragon Tears" by Koontz. I have ARC, US first hb, UK first hb, pb for everyday reading, and Dark Harvest numbered. Maybe one day I'll get the lettered. I do own 2 copies of many Ketchum books and 3 of like 2.

Cool, a fellow multi-copy man :cool: Particularly having the everyday copy to read (although, truth to tell, I'm a recent Kindle convert, so I'm getting a lot of "reading" copies that way nowadays) .... Jester, love the Dark Harvest "Leigh Nicholls" numbered copies - the artwork is freaking awesome !!!!! :cool:

Grant Wootton
10-19-2011, 05:30 AM
Sigh ... you're right, Siep - absolutely no self control whatsoever :D

Damn It !!! I hate it when you're right !!!!! :D

frik51
10-19-2011, 05:34 AM
(although, truth to tell, I'm a recent Kindle convert, so I'm getting a lot of "reading" copies that way nowadays)

Are you telling me, Grant, that you don't actually read your limiteds??
I like Kindle -got one myself- but nothing beats reading a lettered edition. Who care about the occasional spilled cup of coffee...:)

sk

Grant Wootton
10-19-2011, 05:58 AM
Are you telling me, Grant, that you don't actually read your limiteds??
I like Kindle -got one myself- but nothing beats reading a lettered edition. Who care about the occasional spilled cup of coffee...:)

sk

;) Siep, I don't so much read my S/L and L/E's as I do .... have a close relationship with them .... fondle them, stroke them .... Oh dear, wrong thread on the wrong website ... oops ... :p ... Let's just say that I take great delight in my "prizes" but shelter them from any ... mishaps ?????

RJK1981
10-19-2011, 06:02 AM
I own multiple versions of only a few books myself so far. Have the CD Limited, a trade 1st/1st and a signed 1st/1st of The Passage and have the CD 1st/1st and 1st/2nd of Blockade Billy.

Also have 2 copies of the gift edition of Full Dark, No Stars as well as a trade 1st/1st.

Have the gift and signed limited edition of It on order as well

Grant Wootton
10-19-2011, 06:10 AM
I own multiple versions of only a few books myself so far. Have the CD Limited, a trade 1st/1st and a signed 1st/1st of The Passage and have the CD 1st/1st and 1st/2nd of Blockade Billy.

Also have 2 copies of the gift edition of Full Dark, No Stars as well as a trade 1st/1st.

Have the gift and signed limited edition of It on order as well

There's nothing as fulfilling (as a completist) to be able to parade 3, 4 or 5 of a particular item :cool: The more, the merrier, I reckon :cool:

RJK1981
10-19-2011, 07:25 AM
There's nothing as fulfilling (as a completist) to be able to parade 3, 4 or 5 of a particular item :cool: The more, the merrier, I reckon :cool:

I would have to agree with that. If it would have been something I could manage buying I would have attempted to get the lettered edition of It as well, but buying the gift and signed limited took all my money at the time pretty much. Still need to get myself a lettered edition of a book someday. Also wish I could afford to purchase more of the art (especially the one of a kind Glenn Chadbourne paintings). Not that I have room to display it right now anyway though, lol

peteOcha
10-19-2011, 08:21 AM
I would have to agree with that. If it would have been something I could manage buying I would have attempted to get the lettered edition of It as well, but buying the gift and signed limited took all my money at the time pretty much. Still need to get myself a lettered edition of a book someday. Also wish I could afford to purchase more of the art (especially the one of a kind Glenn Chadbourne paintings). Not that I have room to display it right now anyway though, lol

Ahh yes, I too dream of a lettered edition.... Some day....

srboone
10-19-2011, 08:56 AM
Ahh yes, I too dream of a lettered edition.... Some day....

Same here, Pete. I'm already planning out which one and when...;)

peteOcha
10-19-2011, 08:57 AM
Same here, Pete. I'm already planning out which one and when...;)

Ooo, anything good? And affordable? :)

srboone
10-19-2011, 08:58 AM
I hope so. The key is to get it when it is first announced....

peteOcha
10-19-2011, 09:07 AM
I was hoping for some details. :)

srboone
10-19-2011, 10:09 AM
I figured...;)

peteOcha
10-19-2011, 10:36 AM
:mad: So thats how we're playing now?

:D

srboone
10-19-2011, 11:01 AM
I'm looking at A Dark & Bloody Ground by Ronald Kelly published by CD hopefully next year...:o

peteOcha
10-19-2011, 11:31 AM
This I want!! Thanks Squire, good info! Now to be fast enough to pick up a copy... And fingers crossed for it to be reasonably priced!

I'm working on rebuilding my Kelly collection, thankfully theres the essential collection for that!

Grant Wootton
10-19-2011, 05:18 PM

Yep, room can be an issue for sure - don't know about you, but I have to have all my stuff in one room so I can look at it as a total package - my partner, Connie, reckons I should spread it out into the adjacent hallway, which I'm deadset against because (to my warped way of thinking) this "splits" up the collection. Anyways, re Glenn Chadbourne, I have two "one off's" coming (purchased them from a fellow CD'er) which should be pretty cool (one's from The Stand, the other from Buick 8). I'll be posting them on my collection thread as soon as Australian Customs releases them :)

RJK1981
10-19-2011, 06:34 PM
Space is more of an issue for me, as I live in a 1 BR apartment, lol. Have some books in the bedroom, others in the living room. Hoping to get into a 2 or 3 BR place in the next year or two so I can use 1 bedroom as my little library

Grant Wootton
10-19-2011, 07:38 PM
Space is more of an issue for me, as I live in a 1 BR apartment, lol. Have some books in the bedroom, others in the living room. Hoping to get into a 2 or 3 BR place in the next year or two so I can use 1 bedroom as my little library

Same here, two years again we were in a pokey little 1 bedroom unit in the city, with the books and other stuff stored in the garage in the basement - now we have three bedrooms, one for the library, the other for my partners art stuff :cool: