Effort go get SK to Sussex Regional High in New Brunswick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Effort go get SK to Sussex Regional High in New Brunswick

Students at Sussex Regional have been sending letters and artwork to Stephen King for a while now and I was glad to see that BettsBooks is showing support. The school started this initiative to encourage their students to read more and is having success in doing just that. I wish my school had given encouragement to read books we were interested in instead of forcing the usual Shakespeare and To Kill a Mockingbird on everyone. Even a book a year of your choosing on top of the stuff they force you to read would have been a great step forward in helping kids learn to like reading. Thought i'd share this story. This is what appeared on BettsBooks along with some art...

Dear Loyal Customers, Stephen King fans and Constant Readers-

I was recently contacted for some information about Stephen King by administrative staff at the Sussex Regional High School in New Brunswick Canada. To my delight, I discovered that as part of an art and literacy project, the school was engaged in several ventures aimed at trying to get Mr. King to visit their school. I was quite taken with the efforts of both the students and staff, so much so that I thought of a wonderful way of acknowledging and supporting their effort....by posting for display some of the creative artwork done by the students. If I put myself in their shoes, I thought to myself what a thrill it would be to see my artwork posted not only on the Internet, but specifically on the Betts Books website. So this is my way of supporting their effort.

I offer my congratulations to all those at Sussex Regional High School...WELL DONE!

Dear Mr. King, Hello, I am a tenth grade student at Sussex Regional High School, population of 900, and I am writing to ask you to take time from your busy schedule to visit our little town of Sussex, New Brunswick. Our school took on the initiative to try to bring you here around Halloween of 2011. We are asking you that one year from then, Halloween 2012; you visit our School. We would be honored to host you, and would make you feel right at home, which is easy in a town where everybody knows your name. I understand that you taught in our province many years ago, and we are asking you to return to New Brunswick. Coming to our school would be a great opportunity for you to expose our students to your style of literature, and to promote your novels. Our school has already had a Stephen King book sale, which heightened the interest of your potential visit. Our town is so unique. With over 25, we are the mural capital of Atlantic Canada, and also that of covered bridges. The second largest deposit of potash in the world is located about 4km outside of Sussex. Oh, and the cows. We probably have the largest deposit of those in the world. But in all seriousness, perhaps visiting Sussex will inspire you to write a novel about a killer calf named Cowjo. Yes, if you were to speak at our school, it would be the biggest thing to happen to Sussex since the Queen's visit in 2002. I was lucky enough to be in the same room as her, and Stephen King would be a notable addition to my list. If we were fortunate to have you, you would be speaking in our newly renovated theater. We raised hundreds of thousands of dollars to refurbish our old theater, and now that it's finished, it's beautiful. Thanks for your consideration, and I hope to see you next year. Sincerely, John

Pretty neat! How far is this from you, Teri?
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Not far. Its the next province over. About a 10hr drive I think.

Comment

And that's a drive you would make if given the oppotunity, right? (I drove 8 hours to see him in Dallas in November.)
        "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I flew 8 hours to see him, a couple of years ago.

sk

Comment

I did that last year

Comment

You guys have me beat, I only drove 2.5 hours to see him when he toured in support of Lisey's Story.

Comment

One of my trips was 15 minutes from home. It was at a local Wal-mart (for Under the Dome). I stopped on my way to work to get the ticket and book. Then left work about 1/2 hour early to go back to the store (which is about halfway between work and home and right next to the highway I travel each day) and waited in line for the reading and signing. I really lucked out on that one!
                "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

I certainly would if I had the money. Keep in mind that's a tank of gas each way($75) plus gas while there. And at least a night in a hotel, food and time off work. But I'd try my damn best, borrow money er use cc's. Save up if I knew in advance for sure. But I doubt they'd open to the public. Prob just the school.

Comment

I'd go to maine for the hell of it too...not much father.if I had a passport. Dumbest law ever!

Comment

Originally posted by Teriw View Post
                      Dumbest law ever!
                      Actually, there even dumber ones here in the US. Here in Minnesota is illegal to sleep naked, A person may not cross state lines with a duck atop his head, Citizens may not enter Wisconsin with a chicken on their head. Gotta love having a website like dumblaws.com, lol
                      WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                      Spoiler!

Comment

Originally posted by RJK1981 View Post
                        Actually, there even dumber ones here in the US. Here in Minnesota is illegal to sleep naked, A person may not cross state lines with a duck atop his head, Citizens may not enter Wisconsin with a chicken on their head. Gotta love having a website like dumblaws.com, lol
                        What kinda freaks wear poultry as headwear? You people in Minnesota are...strange. Frightening almost!
                        "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Hey, they need to think of things to do in the usual years where they have 8 months of winter.
                          "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Its still dumb though. Because some dude from the desert on the other side of the world blows up some buildings; Canadian's are not allowed in without a passport? Tell me where the sense in that is? Pretty sure I didn't blow anything up. Passports are not cheap

Comment

I once a crazy woman I didn't know break out the windows in my car because it looked like someone else's. Better safe than sorry!
                              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Working...
                              X