PDA

View Full Version : Hunger Games

peteOcha
03-02-2012, 01:02 PM
I think this was discussed here somewhere, but I just can't find it...

What are your feelings about The Hunger Games? King spoke warmly of it, giving it a B plus... I know it's quite similar to Battle Royale, but...

Debating on whether or not I should pick this up, theres a 3 book hc box set available for less than $50, including shipping to europe. :)

MrRoland
03-02-2012, 02:04 PM
I really enjoyed it. I don't yet know whether it's worth a purchase. I got them from the library. I haven't gotten the urge to read them again yet.

peteOcha
03-02-2012, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the reply. :)

The library is a no go for me unfortunately, so buying is the only option.

srboone
03-02-2012, 02:50 PM
I'm gonna pass on them, I think. It seems likea young adult version of a lot of other books I really likedsuch as Battle Royale and even The Long Walk; Not that young adult is bad, per se, but that's not me anymore.

peteOcha
03-02-2012, 02:56 PM
Squire, I'm sure you're young at heart and spirit! :)

TerryE
03-02-2012, 03:30 PM
Squire, I'm sure you're young at heart and spirit! :)

I am too. But I'd much rather read Donald Duck than something like this or the Twilight books. I kinda hate to compare Hunger Games to Twilight, since I think I've heard that the Hunger Games books are much better, but I'm sure they're aimed at the same crowd.

srboone
03-02-2012, 03:31 PM
Flibbityfloo!

(maybe some of you SNL addicts will recognize this!)

srboone
03-02-2012, 05:12 PM
I may see the movies (undecided at the moment), though.

bookworm 1
03-02-2012, 07:02 PM
They are a serise for YA.My 14 almost 15 year old loved this series.I believe it is the anti twilight.Yes Squire it is like the long walk from what my son has said about this series.At least the way he discribes it it sounds alot like The Long Walk.

srboone
03-02-2012, 07:56 PM
I don't have anything against YA literature, it's just that YA books were time fillers for me when I was growing up. I was reading Hardy Boys books by the time I got out of Kindergarten, and tackled Lovecraft in the 3rd grade; Taylor Caldwell in the 4th, Arthur Conan Doyle in the 5th, James Michener in the 6th & 7th, Shakespeare in 8th and 9th, then King's books came along. The YA reading I did was at the level of my classmates and usually something I got as an assignment from school. (I also caught up on YA classic literature in college during my YA Literature class.) I can read them today, but I don't get as much enjoyment out of them as I do more challenging literature. An example is the upcoming Pure: a book I would have loved in the early elementary grades, just not so much as a 46-year old man.

bookworm 1
03-02-2012, 08:02 PM
Did you read encyclopedia brown.I loved him.Those books were cool.I was fortunate to read most of the Hardy boy books.I even read a few Nancy Drew books.

srboone
03-02-2012, 08:06 PM
Of course! Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective, Solves Them All, Tracks Them Down, Takes the Case. Don't know how manty there were, but those are the titles I remember.

bookworm 1
03-03-2012, 03:19 PM
I just got my son the YA Repairman Jack books.I can't wait till he finishes them so I can read them.The adult books are great.One of my favorite series ever.

Dave1442397
03-07-2012, 11:50 AM
The Hunger Games books are worth a read, but for anyone who's read a lot over the years, there's nothing new here. The books are a rehash of many older SF novels mixed with Survivor. Why don't you get them on Amazon as e-books and read them on a Kindle?

I actually have the books in my Kindle library, so I may even be able to share them with you. If you don't have a kindle just download the Kindle app to your PC from Amazon or use the Kindle Cloud Reader.

srboone
03-07-2012, 01:15 PM
I have the Kindle PC app, but I can't read a book that way, tty as i might. If there were a way to print form the kindle....I'm sure some enterprising hacker has figured that out by now.

Dave1442397
03-07-2012, 04:41 PM
I have the Kindle PC app, but I can't read a book that way, tty as i might. If there were a way to print form the kindle....I'm sure some enterprising hacker has figured that out by now.

That's actually a simple thing to do. I'm pretty sure (can't test it at work) that you can use Calibre to convert from e-book formats to PDF, then print and read.

I love e-books. Having access to a library on my phone means I'm never stuck for something to read. I got through half a book on my phone during the most boring training session ever attended a few months ago.

peteOcha
03-07-2012, 07:15 PM
The Hunger Games books are worth a read, but for anyone who's read a lot over the years, there's nothing new here. The books are a rehash of many older SF novels mixed with Survivor. Why don't you get them on Amazon as e-books and read them on a Kindle?

I actually have the books in my Kindle library, so I may even be able to share them with you. If you don't have a kindle just download the Kindle app to your PC from Amazon or use the Kindle Cloud Reader.

Thanks for the reply Dave. I have the app on my phone and on my ipad... Just can't seem to get into reading ebooks. I prefer paper and I always have a paperback with me.:) Although I do sometimes use the app, when I have nothing to read and I'm out and about. Although I must say that I don't think I've even read an entire ebook... Except for Brian's short story collection that he was giving out. ;) And when KPB was giving something out in his newsletter...

Dave1442397
03-08-2012, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the reply Dave. I have the app on my phone and on my ipad... Just can't seem to get into reading ebooks. I prefer paper and I always have a paperback with me.:) Although I do sometimes use the app, when I have nothing to read and I'm out and about. Although I must say that I don't think I've even read an entire ebook... Except for Brian's short story collection that he was giving out. ;) And when KPB was giving something out in his newsletter...

e-books have probably saved my house from collapse :) There are well over 5,000 books in the house already, so the ability to have another 10,000 in e-book format is important to me. I still buy my collectibles in hardback, but for most books I'm quite happy with the electronic version.