This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    Thanks, everyone! It was the big 40 this year. Great time was had with family and friends!

And that sock monkey cake is awesome!
    Glad you enjoyed the cake. My penmanship leave something to be desired so the cake baker made the wrong cake the first time.
    Brain Monkey.png
    Still not sure how she got Brain from Sock but hey, it was delicious!

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
      Did you get any spoils this year?
      Nothing book-wise save for a $300 gift certificate for CD, which is VERY cool, but not "picture-worthy". My wife did let me go a little crazy during Barnes & Noble's recent 50% off Criterion Collection sale. With an MSRP of $39.99 for blu-rays, I usually have to wait until these types of sales to get caught up with their releases. Though I will NOT be waiting for a sale when they release their remastered blu of Night of the Living Dead in February. Romero was involved with the process prior to his passing, so it has the "official seal of approval".

IMG_0848.jpgIMG_0849.jpg

Nothing that would really appeal to the horror crowd but the list is:
      Safety Last! (1923) I picked this up on DVD instead of Blu due to budget restraints, but kinda wishing I had plopped down the extra five bucks...
      It Happened One Night (1934)
      His Girl Friday (1940)
      The Killing (1956)
      Anatomy of a Murder (1959)
      Seconds (1966)
      Dazed and Confused (1993) Yeah, there are cheaper Blu-rays of this, but nothing beats Criterion's quality and special features.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
        Glad you enjoyed the cake. My penmanship leave something to be desired so the cake baker made the wrong cake the first time.
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]20293[/ATTACH]
        Still not sure how she got Brain from Sock but hey, it was delicious!
        The monkey brain is awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
          Nothing book-wise save for a $300 gift certificate for CD, which is VERY cool, but not "picture-worthy". My wife did let me go a little crazy during Barnes & Noble's recent 50% off Criterion Collection sale. With an MSRP of $39.99 for blu-rays, I usually have to wait until these types of sales to get caught up with their releases. Though I will NOT be waiting for a sale when they release their remastered blu of Night of the Living Dead in February. Romero was involved with the process prior to his passing, so it has the "official seal of approval".

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20321[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]20322[/ATTACH]

Nothing that would really appeal to the horror crowd but the list is:
          Safety Last! (1923) I picked this up on DVD instead of Blu due to budget restraints, but kinda wishing I had plopped down the extra five bucks...
          It Happened One Night (1934)
          His Girl Friday (1940)
          The Killing (1956)
          Anatomy of a Murder (1959)
          Seconds (1966)
          Dazed and Confused (1993) Yeah, there are cheaper Blu-rays of this, but nothing beats Criterion's quality and special features.
          I must find a Blu Ray copy of Safety Last. I love Harold Lloyd!

Great pick ups!

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
            I must find a Blu Ray copy of Safety Last. I love Harold Lloyd!

Great pick ups!
            Thanks! Silent Cinema is one of my weak points, but I'd heard about Safety Last! on a podcast recently and had marked it down to check it out. I didn't know Criterion had put it out until I stumbled upon it during my browsing at the local B&N. I'm very much looking forward to watching it!

Comment

Another Harold Lloyd fan here...thrilled to see others here mention him.

Great, too, to see The Killing. As a big noir fan, the combination of Lionel White's source novel and Jim Thompson's screenplay is like catnip.
              Last edited by RonClinton; 12-07-2017, 07:05 PM.
              Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                Another Harold Lloyd fan here...thrilled to see others here mention him.
                Wow, us CD forum posters are well-rounded crew. I thought I'd post that and there would be crickets...

Comment

Fantastic Criterion haul!

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
                    Fantastic Criterion haul!
                    I can’t wait to dig into them! I’m debating on where to start...

Comment

Happy Birthday Jhanic!

Birthday cake 2.jpg

Comment

Happy B-Day, John!

Comment

Thanks, everyone!

John

Comment

Happy belated John! I hope it was a good one!

Comment

All the best John. Hope next year is booktastic for you!!

Comment

Happy Birthday Mr. Hocker!
                                LOR CAKE.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X