No announcement yet.

Swan Song by Robert McCammon--Subterranean Press

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like Camelot, I buy a lot of books from them. The fact remains that they marked up The Border by something like $50 before it had even sold out through SubPress, let alone been released and had time for secondary market pricing to come into play. You'll notice they still haven't sold out of their copies yet (of any edition).

And in Camelot's defense, this is the only time I've seen them do that. They've got some really dumb pricing going on with some older limited editions, but they're usually great about not gouging with preorders even when something is selling out super-fast. I guess they just had a brain fart with that one.

It's also the only time I've seen DRP do it, for what it's worth.

Comment

Yeah I think you're right. Though some of DRP pricing is ridiculous on older books they get in stock from time to time. They're not a bad company either. Though I've lost a bit of interest with them since the crowdfunding phase began.

Comment

Yeah, they've really gone whole-hog on the crowdfunding. I'm not sure if it's still the case, but for a while (at least), part of their submission guidelines stated that, unless you were going to bring a huge audience (think Clive Barker or Ramsey Campbell), you had to be willing to have your work go through a crowdfunding campaign.

The most ridiculous pricing I've seen, though, is what Camelot is asking for Scott Thomas's Cobwebs and Whispers: $800. That's 20x what the book usually goes for on eBay, and while it's rare, one or two copies still come up for sale each year.

Comment

For those who missed out, PS Publishing is selling copies of the Limited Edition.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
            For those who missed out, PS Publishing is selling copies of the Limited Edition.
            Aaaaaaand it's gone.

Comment

Got my shipping notice today!!!

Comment

Dark Regions Press has four copies availability if anyone is interested. Do not expect them to last long:

https://darkregions.com/products/swa...cover-preorder

Comment

That's a hell of of a markup...

Comment

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
                    Yes, DRP appears to jack up the price when they can get it.

Comment

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
                      Yeah, I didn't think they'd sell any at that price...so imagine my surprise when I check this morning and all four copies are sold out. Glad I got mine at cover price. I don't really have a problem with them jacking up the price, though admittedly I wouldn't pay 3x the cover price...it's not as though they're a bookseller per se (e.g. Camelot Books, et al), so I tend to relax my expectations of such things when they're not.
                      Last edited by RonClinton; 10-06-2017, 03:53 PM.
                      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                        Yeah, I didn't think they'd sell any at that price...so imagine my surprise when I check this morning and all four copies are sold out. Glad I got mine at cover price. I don't really have a problem with them jacking up the price, though admittedly I wouldn't pay 3x the cover price...it's not as though they're a bookseller per se (e.g. Camelot Books, et al), so I tend to relax my expectations of such things when they're not.
                        They started with five available. I have no issue with a retailer marking the item. I can choose to buy or not, they sold there copies in 24 hours so clearly the price was appropriate. Camelot has marked things up as well but I have not seen it to that extreme.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                          They started with five available. I have no issue with a retailer marking the item. I can choose to buy or not, they sold there copies in 24 hours so clearly the price was appropriate. Camelot has marked things up as well but I have not seen it to that extreme.
                          I think the price was dictated by the going rate on eBay. $300-$350 for Limited. $800 and up for Lettered. That's what I've been seeing. I'm kicking myself for not buying a copy to sell.

Comment

They sold all five... I don't know if I would have gone that high for the limited considering that the lettered was offered at $400 from Subterranean. The question is how well will these editions retain their value. There's heat right now as it has just been published but I'm curious where prices will settle down at. I can't wait to get my copy. Camelot just shipped it last week!

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                              They sold all five... I don't know if I would have gone that high for the limited considering that the lettered was offered at $400 from Subterranean. The question is how well will these editions retain their value. There's heat right now as it has just been published but I'm curious where prices will settle down at. I can't wait to get my copy. Camelot just shipped it last week!
                              IT IS A GORGEOUS BOOK! But yeah, I wonder where the price will level off at. I think what we're seeing is the FOMO price. Who knows how long people will hunt down copies. I know mine will stay right where it's at until I'm no longer around.

Comment

Had to google FOMO. My shame knows no bounds.

Comment

Working...
                                X