Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
    I have read the short version of The Bottoms in 999 called Mad Dog Summer and thought it was an amazing piece of work.
    I believe THE BOTTOMS, the novel, to be -- all things considered -- Joe's masterpiece. Every author turns out a book over the span of a career that is the pinnacle of his/her ability, one that has the best chance of standing the test of time and changing public tastes...THE BOTTOMS is Joe's.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
      I believe THE BOTTOMS, the novel, to be -- all things considered -- Joe's masterpiece. Every author turns out a book over the span of a career that is the pinnacle of his/her ability, one that has the best chance of standing the test of time and changing public tastes...THE BOTTOMS is Joe's.
      Agreed. The Bottoms is a fantastic novel that transcends what Lansdale had done before and should rightfully go down as a classic both in the genre and out. Now if only I could find a lettered edition that wouldn’t cost a kidney...

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
        Agreed. The Bottoms is a fantastic novel that transcends what Lansdale had done before and should rightfully go down as a classic both in the genre and out. Now if only I could find a lettered edition that wouldn’t cost a kidney...
        Heck, the "regular" numbered copy is pretty pricey at times too. Just funny how books with even lower print runs are quite a bit cheaper (not just with Landale, but McCammon has this happen - especially The Border - why is that one so expensive? Or Wolf's Hour?)

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
          Heck, the "regular" numbered copy is pretty pricey at times too. Just funny how books with even lower print runs are quite a bit cheaper (not just with Landale, but McCammon has this happen - especially The Border - why is that one so expensive? Or Wolf's Hour?)
          My assumption is that like with all collectables it just has to do with supply and demand. The more popular titles for the fan/collector (and/or the more renowned for the speculator) will incite more demand so the resale prices stay high, whereas the less popular titles have less demand so are easier to snag at a reasonable price -- e.g. a much more popular novel with a 500-copy run will still outvalue in resale a less popular novel at 350 copies. There are always exceptions to the rule due to, for example(s), unsightly production qualities of an otherwise in-demand title, or it was overpriced to begin with (ala SUMMER OF NIGHT by Simmons (Sub Press)), or perhaps an in-demand title already had a signed/limited produced (ala SWAN SONG, which actually seems to be holding its value just fine), but I do think in general that, these variables and others aside, supply-and-demand rule tends to rule the aftermarket...and not all titles by a particular author have equal demand.
          Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

When I saw King in '98 during his Bag of Bones book tour, I received a "Limited Edition Collector's Magazine" that contained an interview with King as well as an excerpt from Bag of Bones and a few words about King's career. This was his first book with Scribner and they were making a lot of noise about it. Understandably so. Anyway, after misplacing this promotional magazine, I went on a mad search and found it and now it's reunited with my signed editions. I'd include a pic in this post, but the Forum says I don't have permission to post attachments.

I was wondering if anyone else had anything like this magazine. It's like a press kit and they gave it to everyone who came to see King in Chicago. I can't find any info about it or what its value might be.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
              When I saw King in '98 during his Bag of Bones book tour, I received a "Limited Edition Collector's Magazine" that contained an interview with King as well as an excerpt from Bag of Bones and a few words about King's career. This was his first book with Scribner and they were making a lot of noise about it. Understandably so. Anyway, after misplacing this promotional magazine, I went on a mad search and found it and now it's reunited with my signed editions. I'd include a pic in this post, but the Forum says I don't have permission to post attachments.

I was wondering if anyone else had anything like this magazine. It's like a press kit and they gave it to everyone who came to see King in Chicago. I can't find any info about it or what its value might be.
              Never heard of it and would love to see a picture. Hopefully Dan can assist with why you are unable photos.

PS. Was your NRB Unbury Carol signed?

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                Never heard of it and would love to see a picture. Hopefully Dan can assist with why you are unable photos.

PS. Was your NRB Unbury Carol signed?
                No. My Unbury Carol was unsigned. I was a little bummed but I have the signed ARC and a signed Goblin so I'm covered.

Here's an Instagram photo of the magazine cover together with my signed edition in a slipcase as well as the ticket that got me into the event.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bh2x36MB...-by=jeffingoff

Comment

No. My Unbury Carol was unsigned. I was a little bummed but I have the signed ARC and a signed Goblin so I'm covered.

Here's an Instagram photo of the magazine cover together with my signed edition in a slipcase as well as the ticket that got me into the event.

Sorry you did not score a signed edition. Since the signed weren't bagged I wasn't sure. That Bag of Bones magazine looks awesome. Now I must find one!

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                    I have yet to read it but I was lucky enough to stumble across an ARC copy for sale at used bookstore a while back and snatched it up. Even had some extra promo slip in it. I think it was a grand total of $8.

Comment

That is cool, Jeff. Send your book to me for the sig. You won't be able to tell the difference between mine and the author

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                        That is cool, Jeff. Send your book to me for the sig. You won't be able to tell the difference between mine and the author

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                          Sorry you did not score a signed edition. Since the signed weren't bagged I wasn't sure. That Bag of Bones magazine looks awesome. Now I must find one!
                          If you find that magazine, let me know. I haven't found anything online that indicates a value. I will say, it's really poorly designed. Whoever did the layout sure wasn't trying to make something that could be read. As a piece of King history it is pretty neat and I'm only thrilled to have it because it completes my Bag of Bones set (along with the signed book and the ticket to the event).

Comment

I think I still have both copies of the magazine/catalog/thingie from that Chicago signing, but I somehow didn't keep my ticket. Weird.

Comment

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
                              I think I still have both copies of the magazine/catalog/thingie from that Chicago signing, but I somehow didn't keep my ticket. Weird.
                              Maybe I was supposed to turn it in, but instead of doing that I didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
                                You have two copies? You interested in parting with one?

Comment

Working...
                                X