Page 78 of 85 FirstFirst ... 28687677787980 ... LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,560 of 1681

Thread: Martin's Collection

  1. #1541
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication TacomaDiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    611
    Rep Power
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I went into it thinking 'It's a magazine started on Kickstarter, how good could it be?'. It wildly exceeded my expectations!
    Exactly. Not that Kickstarter hasn't given us some good things, but like you said, it's a magazine . . . and what you've shown off looks great!

  2. #1542
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    727
    Rep Power
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Well you win some, you lose some. Received my ARC grab bag today and received 100% duplicates.
    AH! That's the danger of grab bags. Especially from publisher you buy frequently. I gambled as well and I got lucky. Though the value of the books in their finished state (considering trade editions) didn't cover the price I paid.

    Had I gotten On This, the Day of the Pig it would have been an absolute win.

  3. #1543
    Senior Member Totally Insane Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    4,515
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    AH! That's the danger of grab bags. Especially from publisher you buy frequently. I gambled as well and I got lucky. Though the value of the books in their finished state (considering trade editions) didn't cover the price I paid.

    Had I gotten On This, the Day of the Pig it would have been an absolute win.
    I have done pretty good in general. That is probably only the second time I have received a grab bag with nothing of use in it from Cemetery Dance. I saw you unboxing and you received one that I do not have, The Listener. That one is also on order. Grab bags are always a gamble, just struck out this time.

  4. #1544
    Junior Member Visitor Marmaduke Grigsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    SE Illinois
    Posts
    24
    Rep Power
    0
    I ordered a copy of Full Bleed because of your recommendation and it arrived today. I can't wait to dig into it!

    Full Bleed.jpg

  5. #1545
    Senior Member Totally Insane Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    4,515
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmaduke Grigsby View Post
    I ordered a copy of Full Bleed because of your recommendation and it arrived today. I can't wait to dig into it!

    Full Bleed.jpg
    I believe you will be impressed! Glad you were able to grab a copy while they are still available.

  6. #1546
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    727
    Rep Power
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I believe you will be impressed! Glad you were able to grab a copy while they are still available.
    Mine arrived yesterday. It's beautiful. And I didn't realize all that it contained. A Lansdale story. A Tremblay story. Of course, the interview with King. I'm so glad I got a copy. Thank you for posting.

  7. #1547
    Senior Member Totally Insane Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    4,515
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    Mine arrived yesterday. It's beautiful. And I didn't realize all that it contained. A Lansdale story. A Tremblay story. Of course, the interview with King. I'm so glad I got a copy. Thank you for posting.
    There is a ton of content. I have only read the introduction and the King interview so far. I am unsure how they will keep this thing coming out every three months with the amount that went into it. Glad you liked it.

    Jeff on a side note. I like the Ruins glass but have to admit it was not a good read. I loved A Simple Plan and had high hopes for The Ruins, but it left me feeling like Bentley Little leaves you.

  8. #1548
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    727
    Rep Power
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    There is a ton of content. I have only read the introduction and the King interview so far. I am unsure how they will keep this thing coming out every three months with the amount that went into it. Glad you liked it.

    Jeff on a side note. I like the Ruins glass but have to admit it was not a good read. I loved A Simple Plan and had high hopes for The Ruins, but it left me feeling like Bentley Little leaves you.
    Yeah, so far I'm 0 for 2 on the pint glasses. The first one I got was a reference to American Gods I believe. I got a paperback of that book and I might actually read it someday. I didn't really have any plans to read The Ruins. When CD did the limited edition I was intrigued, but not enough to dive in. Both pint glasses are really nicely made and they will see plenty of use.

    I HATE that I missed out on their Overlook pint glass. That would have been absolutely perfect. Oh well.

    I looked on IDW's site to see if they were taking subscriptions for Full Bleed but I didn't see anything. Nothing on the Kickstarter page either. I would definitely be interested in getting a subscription if they put out this level of quality and content every quarter!

  9. #1549
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    727
    Rep Power
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    There is a ton of content. I have only read the introduction and the King interview so far. I am unsure how they will keep this thing coming out every three months with the amount that went into it. Glad you liked it.

    Jeff on a side note. I like the Ruins glass but have to admit it was not a good read. I loved A Simple Plan and had high hopes for The Ruins, but it left me feeling like Bentley Little leaves you.
    Thanks for the heads up on The Ruins, BTW. I meant to mention that, but my brain was on pint glasses and that's where it stayed.

  10. #1550
    Senior Member Totally Insane Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    4,515
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    There is a ton of content. I have only read the introduction and the King interview so far. I am unsure how they will keep this thing coming out every three months with the amount that went into it. Glad you liked it.

    Jeff on a side note. I like the Ruins glass but have to admit it was not a good read. I loved A Simple Plan and had high hopes for The Ruins, but it left me feeling like Bentley Little leaves you.
    We jumped into The Nocturnal Reader's Box at the same time and I share your pain with the glasses. I would love to get my hands on the Overlook glass.

  11. #1551
    Senior Member Totally Insane Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    4,515
    Rep Power
    18
    Received my Nocturnal Reader's box for February. For the second straight month I was underwhelmed.

    The Art is from Nick Cutters 'The Deep'. I have not read and maybe that would have helped but my kind of thing:
    P1370514.jpg

    A pint glass featuring Scott Smith's 'The Ruins'. You can't really go wrong with a high quality pint glass. But 'The Ruins' is one of the more disappointing books I have ever read. Scott Smith's first book 'A Simple Plan' was excellent but 'The Ruins' did not work for me:
    P1370515.jpg
    It is a nice glass though.

    The pin is inspired by Dan Simmons 'Summer of Night'. Another I have not read and I do not care for the pin.
    P1370516.jpg

    The book mark is actually fantastic!
    P1370518.jpg

    The T-Shirt is also a fantastic item:
    P1370519.jpg

    The bandana is another miss for me:
    P1370520.jpg
    Last edited by Martin; 02-18-2018 at 06:23 PM.

  12. #1552
    Senior Member Totally Insane Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    4,515
    Rep Power
    18
    The Nocturnal Reader's boxes have done a really good job of putting books in my hands that are either items I wanted but did not have or items I was unfamiliar with but interested in.

    This month was a complete miss for me:
    The new release is 'S: Es' by Koji Suzuki. This is related to The Ring series. Honestly I have never had much interest in them. I may read this and learn I was wrong but not excited to read it.

    The prior release is 'Cast A Cold Eye' by Alan Ryan. The description intrigues me but I have been less that thrilled what what I have read from him in the past.
    P1370521.jpg

    Family photo and spoiler cards:
    P1370513.jpgP1370522.jpgP1370523.jpg

    With the delivery issue of the last couple of months The Nocturnal Reader's Box now allows you to upgrade to priority shipping. I have taken that option so next month I look forward to getting my March box before they bill me for April. I also hope changing the shipping has the added luck of getting more items that interest me.

  13. #1553
    Senior Member Totally Insane Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    4,515
    Rep Power
    18
    Received my Limited Edition of 'Widow's Point' by Richard and Billy Chizmar:
    The detail on the cover art is fantastic. I have founding myself studying the art and finding things.
    P1370524.jpg
    P1370525.jpgP1370526.jpgP1370528.jpgP1370529.jpg

  14. #1554
    Senior Member Totally Insane Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    4,515
    Rep Power
    18
    There is interior from Glenn Chadbourne scattered throughout the book:
    P1370530.jpgP1370531.jpgP1370532.jpgP1370535.jpgP1370536.jpg

    And because no self respecting horror novel should be without one, the centerfold:
    P1370534.jpg

    I am actually about half way through this one and must say it is a great read!

  15. #1555
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    727
    Rep Power
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    The Nocturnal Reader's boxes have done a really good job of putting books in my hands that are either items I wanted but did not have or items I was unfamiliar with but interested in.

    This month was a complete miss for me:
    The new release is 'S: Es' by Koji Suzuki. This is related to The Ring series. Honestly I have never had much interest in them. I may read this and learn I was wrong but not excited to read it.

    The prior release is 'Cast A Cold Eye' by Alan Ryan. The description intrigues me but I have been less that thrilled what what I have read from him in the past.
    P1370521.jpg

    Family photo and spoiler cards:
    P1370513.jpgP1370522.jpgP1370523.jpg

    With the delivery issue of the last couple of months The Nocturnal Reader's Box now allows you to upgrade to priority shipping. I have taken that option so next month I look forward to getting my March box before they bill me for April. I also hope changing the shipping has the added luck of getting more items that interest me.
    I HAD A VERY INTERESTING chat with Vincent from Nocturnal Reader's Box yesterday and while I can't share what he told me, I will say that now is a great time to keep that active subscription. And for those who haven't subscribed, you might want to consider jumping in. I think there will be some interesting things in the box going forward and other perks outside the box. I don't even have all the details, but I'm not going anywhere.

  16. #1556
    Senior Member Totally Insane Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    4,515
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    I HAD A VERY INTERESTING chat with Vincent from Nocturnal Reader's Box yesterday and while I can't share what he told me, I will say that now is a great time to keep that active subscription. And for those who haven't subscribed, you might want to consider jumping in. I think there will be some interesting things in the box going forward and other perks outside the box. I don't even have all the details, but I'm not going anywhere.
    I am intrigued!

  17. #1557
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    727
    Rep Power
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I am intrigued!
    I wish I could say more. Secrets are heavy. And I have no one to "geek out with" as the youngsters say.

  18. #1558
    Senior Member Totally Insane Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    4,515
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    I wish I could say more. Secrets are heavy. And I have no one to "geek out with" as the youngsters say.
    You can tell me, I wont tell.

  19. #1559
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication TacomaDiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    611
    Rep Power
    6
    This is safe place - all of our secrets stay secret . . .

  20. #1560
    Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Theli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Posts
    3,121
    Rep Power
    13
    Love the art in Widow's Point!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •