No announcement yet.

Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was always of the understanding that the Mayans made many calenders and the one that ended in 2012 was simply the last one of the ones that have survived; and that lead people to belive they were predicting the end of the world by this. A silly notion, but one that has been exploited in recent decades.

Of course, now, Dracula as the first Nazi, has merit...

I wasalso pretty shocked to wake up and find out that I had started a new thread...
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
      I was always of the understanding that the Mayans made many calenders and the one that ended in 2012 was simply the last one of the ones that have survived; and that lead people to belive they were predicting the end of the world by this. A silly notion, but one that has been exploited in recent decades.

Of course, now, Dracula as the first Nazi, has merit...

I wasalso pretty shocked to wake up and find out that I had started a new thread...
      I think that most likely the one ending in 2012 is the last one they even made because of it's length (and because they all but disappeared before needing to make a new one). I think the actual end-date is something like December 22. I believe Dan is right about what that date coincides with as well, which was probably what the Mayans were using for the end of their ages.

If I thought I could actually write a story of Dracula being the first Nazi I would definitely do it, but I doubt I'd do a very good job, lol

You must have drank a lot last night if you don't remember starting a new thread!
      WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
      Spoiler!

Comment

Now firstly i'm not sure if i believe in ghosts or not. The cottage is an old one, 300+ i think, and there is no-one on one side of the cottage and number 2 is currently empty. There was only me and Annabel the dog in last night so why (for the second time) could i hear someone walking around upstairs? Annabel was barking her head off too!

Comment

Every house/cottage has "Occupants", Tom. Other than the ones that actually live there. I met the one that lived in my childhood home, back in '71. Of course, being a kid of only 5, I simply called her "the lady who lives in the basement." Turned out, it was my grandmother who died in that house before I was born, she just wanted to say "hi!" Afterwards, I never saw her again; but the noises in the basement continued.

True story.
          Last edited by srboone; 12-09-2011, 04:40 PM.
          "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I, for one, would read a book about Dracula being a Mayan Nazi.

Comment

I think my favorite character with a long lifespan has been Robert Heinlein's Lazarus Long, but I'm a sucker (bad pun intended) for vampire novels and anything to do with time travel.

On the subject of weird beliefs, I recently read Michael Shermer's The Believing Brain: From Ghosts and Gods to Politics and Conspiracies---How We Construct Beliefs and Reinforce Them as Truths. This was a very interesting book for me, as I've often wondered why people believe things that fly in the face of logic. Shermer investigates what actually happens at the neuron level when people are confronted with data that negates their beliefs, and it makes a lot of sense.

Another great read was Carl Sagan's The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark, which I plan on giving to my daughter as part of a reading list when she's a little older.

I really don't care that people believe things I don't, but what scares me is when the people running the world make decisions based on erroneous beliefs. We need to appoint Mr. Spock as vice president in just about every country

Comment

The only thought going through my mind right now is.......

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.movies.com/movie-news/did...d=news&_r=true
                "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

The only thought going through my mind right now is.......

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.movies.com/movie-news/did...d=news&_r=true
                  Oh, but that would have been interesting.
                  "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

I like Stanley Kubrick, but I can't help but think he made the right decision by saying "no".
                    "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I like Stanley Kubrick, but I can't help but think he made the right decision by saying "no".
                      I agree. And I did say interesting, not necessarily good.
                      "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Have a Rockin' Merry Christmas everybody!

This really needs sound....
                        "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Every time I think I'm spending too much money on books, ABE remeinds me that I'm not!

http://www.abebooks.com/books/RareBo...01cta&abersp=1
                          "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I've never heard of Abe books but a quick browse left me interested ... this is on my list of sites to give a more thorough digging at some point in the future. Looks a little collectors hard core for me personally, but people's interests are always interesting ... interestingly enough :P

Comment

Give ABE a try Ron, you can find some pretty good deals on there.
                              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Yeah, Abe Books and Alibris are two of my favorites when I want to price check books. I've bought quite a few from both sites, although I had to resist the combination of the asbestos-covered Firestarter along with the asbestos-covered Fahrenheit 451 at (I think) $28,000.

Comment

Working...
                                X