Page 123 of 126 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123124125 ... LastLast
Results 2,441 to 2,460 of 2514

Thread: Random thoughts...

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Great cause, I donated as well. Thanks for posting the link.
    On the contrary, Martin, thank *you* for supporting my daughter and her worthy cause.

Senior Member Hearing Voices mhatchett's Avatar
    I know we were talking about carnivals and fairs the other day and I think I mentioned a pamphlet that Virginia puts out that lists all the fairs. Since fair season is about to start, it showed up yesterday. This is sort of a cut rate version, not even a pamphlet. The old publication used to list all the Amusement/Ride companies that would be at each venue. Anyway, thought I'd share. Have a great weekend all!

VA Fairs04212017083802.jpgVA Fairs04212017083800.jpg

Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Theli's Avatar
    There are so many! Wish we had that many here!

Before I could afford to buy books from Cemetery Dance and Centipede Press, etc, I was an avid, actually I still am, paperback collector. I was was shifting some things around and found these. They were published by Black Lizard Books back in the mid 1980s. As you can see, Black Lizard made a great effort to reprint vintage/Gold Medal Classics. They came in trade and mass market size. I have quite a few of these and i really enjoy thumbing through and re-reading these titles. Of course, the artwork is quite fetching lol!
    IMG_0740.jpg

They've done a lot to keep vintage crime in circulation, even now. My first taste of Dashiell Hammett, Raymond Chandler and Jim Thompson came in the form a Black Lizard paperback.

Wow! Very interesting. I'd never heard of Black Lizard books. Those covers are striking.

Cap
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Black Lizard was my gateway drug to all things noir, as well.

Book Scouting today. Thought I'd post a few pictures. Started with breakfast. Hit a few thrift stores and Mckay Brothers bookstore.20170512_092942.jpg
    20170512_082223.jpg20170512_093234.jpg20170512_094844.jpg20170512_095735.jpg20170512_104733.jpg

And this is what I found not much, but I was home by lunch. Had a nice day.
    20170512_132829.jpg

If you're anything like me and bookstores are your drug, I'm pretty sure you would've had a nice day even if you came back empty-handed. It's always exciting and satisfying to find something, but for me the destination, the hunt, is what makes any book scouting day a good day indeed.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session bsaenz24's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mhatchett View Post
    And this is what I found not much, but I was home by lunch. Had a nice day.
    20170512_132829.jpg
    I've read the first three Erikson book. Great writing, amazing ideas, but a tough read. He drops you in there and never really explains some stuff. He said he wrote it as if the reader already knew the world. A tough read of a series so far, but well worth it.

The spoils may have been smaller than hoped, but even a bad day spent book shopping is better than a good day spent at work!

Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    If you're anything like me and bookstores are your drug, I'm pretty sure you would've had a nice day even if you came back empty-handed. It's always exciting and satisfying to find something, but for me the destination, the hunt, is what makes any book scouting day a good day indeed.
    It's true. I love spending time in book stores and perusing used book shelves at thrift shops. I like to have the time set aside for it and not feel rushed.

Quote Originally Posted by bsaenz24 View Post
    I've read the first three Erikson book. Great writing, amazing ideas, but a tough read. He drops you in there and never really explains some stuff. He said he wrote it as if the reader already knew the world. A tough read of a series so far, but well worth it.
    I've read his first two, and I would agree about him having amazing ideas, not sure I would say they had great writing. Actually they came across a bit amateurish to me, and not just because he drops you in the plot with little explanation. I actually liked that. His philosophy is that there's no real beginning to history, you're always jumping in halfway, and essentially that's what his series was meant to be, in a way, a history of Malazan. I've also heard his writing becomes more honed in later books.

I would love to see Centipede do a nice copy of Watership Down. Sometimes I pick up my copy and just flip to the end......

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    I would love to see Centipede do a nice copy of Watership Down. Sometimes I pick up my copy and just flip to the end......
    I've had that in my TBR pile for years but I keep passing over it. I just keep thinking about the cartoon and that thing messed me up as a kid. The Plague Dogs also look like a good read.

Senior Member Inmate TacomaDiver's Avatar
    Yes please. This would be spectacular. I keep thinking about picking up one of the illustrated versions.

I just finished reading this for the second time. The first part felt really off to me (I don't remember it feeling like that the first time I read it,) but it picked up later and I found more to love. Now I need to rewatch the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    Yes please. This would be spectacular. I keep thinking about picking up one of the illustrated versions.

I just finished reading this for the second time. The first part felt really off to me (I don't remember it feeling like that the first time I read it,) but it picked up later and I found more to love. Now I need to rewatch the movie.
    I could recommend the Penguin Books/Kestrel Books 1976 edition, Illustrated by John Lawrence. Beautiful book and as an added bonus it comes with a slipcase and it's not too pricey, you can find it on ABE for about $20.00.
    Last edited by mhatchett; 06-05-2017 at 11:51 AM.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session TJCams's Avatar
    I could recommend the Penguin Books/Kestrel Books 1976 edition, Illustrated by John Lawrence. Beautiful book and as an added bonus it comes with a slipcase and it's not too pricey, you can find it on ABE for about $20.00.
    I did have an illustrated copy of this book way way back. If I recall, it was wider than it was tall. My sister and me looked at it quite a bit if I remember correctly. I remember it being very dark (lots of black) and the pages were glossy.....?

Upon consulting with our best friend google.ca, I have confirmed that the one I had as a child was the film picture book - hardcover.
    Last edited by TJCams; 06-05-2017 at 01:35 PM.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session TJCams's Avatar
    Here is a cool article about horror fiction, focusing on Stephen King:
    http://www.tor.com/2017/06/05/someti...derstands-you/

Quote Originally Posted by TJCams View Post
    Here is a cool article about horror fiction, focusing on Stephen King:
    http://www.tor.com/2017/06/05/someti...derstands-you/
    That was a great article! Thanks for sharing.

Happy 4th all and Sundry!!