Page 1 of 125 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Random thoughts...

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar

Random thoughts...

But isn't the world going to end in 2012?

Or maybe just the Mayan view of the world...
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Administrator Totally Insane Dan Hocker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by srboone View Post

Technically it doesn't end until the end of 2012 (aka the Mayan calendar doesn't go to 2013). However, we think that our copies of Dracula are on their way to us. I forgot to track the labels we sent for them to be shipped to us. So we'll hopefully have them soon.
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com
    Ebook Email: danhocker@dhdigitaleditions.com
    eBook Website: www.dhdigitaleditions.com

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Twitter - Facebook - Twitch.tv

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session

Not even that, lol. People just like to make stuff up and scare people into thinking the end is near. All it means is that it is the end of Mayan's long count calender, not the end of the world as we know. They also had several other calenders before the one ending next year that ended, so they kept making new ones. If the Mayans were around in the way they were back then, they most likely would be creating an even longer calender now.

So have no fear, you will get your copy from CD!

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session bsaenz24's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    Technically it doesn't end until the end of 2012 (aka the Mayan calendar doesn't go to 2013). However, we think that our copies of Dracula are on their way to us. I forgot to track the labels we sent for them to be shipped to us. So we'll hopefully have them soon.
    Do we even have any real "Mayans" anymore??

Quote Originally Posted by bsaenz24 View Post
    Do we even have any real "Mayans" anymore??
    Not like we have native american's in that sense. Any "Mayans" that where left have been intermingled with the Euro settlers and converted to some form of Christianity. The one's that weren't converted where pretty much "put down" so to speak. To this day no one really knows what happened to the "Mayan" empire, as it fell before the Spanish arrived in South America. In fact if I remember correctly there are only like 3 books left from all of the vast Mayan libraries, as most where either lost in the fall of the empire or burnt by the missionaries coming to South America to convert the indigenous people.

Thus ends todays "Pre / Post Columbian" history lesson.

Most of the Mayans left today are also pretty poor from what I understand

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar
    Are you sure? How boring. A secret society working to usher in a new world order on 22Dec2012 would be much more interesting. Oh, well....
    "I'm a vegan. "

Are you sure? How boring. A secret society working to usher in a new world order on 22Dec2012 would be much more interesting. Oh, well....
    Lol, no it's not that complicated (although it'd be awesome if it was). No, basically the only reason people think the Mayan's predicted the world will end then is because their calendar doesn't go any further. I don't understand why people don't understand that the Mayan calendar had to end somewhere, the book couldn't go on for ever. Or maybe there was a "vol 2" to the Mayan calendar, one that the missionaries burnt when they came over. It's so dumb.

Random thoughts...

Since the "Mayan end of the world" discussion was kinda invading the Dracula thread I thought I'd move those posts over here. This thread is for anything that doesn't really have a place.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session bsaenz24's Avatar
    Good idea. Of course, I for one NEVER thought Dracula was a Mayan. Just want to make that clear!!!

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session TerryE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    Lol, no it's not that complicated (although it'd be awesome if it was). No, basically the only reason people think the Mayan's predicted the world will end then is because their calendar doesn't go any further. I don't understand why people don't understand that the Mayan calendar had to end somewhere, the book couldn't go on for ever. Or maybe there was a "vol 2" to the Mayan calendar, one that the missionaries burnt when they came over. It's so dumb.
    And the way I understand it, the calendar ending is like looking at our calendar and saying the world ends on Dec. 31st because that's the last day listed. That's only the last day on this cycle.
    "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryE View Post
    And the way I understand it, the calendar ending is like looking at our calendar and saying the world ends on Dec. 31st because that's the last day listed. That's only the last day on this cycle.
    You most likely understand it correctly. What people don't really realize is that they made many other calenders that were shorter in length so kept increasing the size. Basically what the end of this calender means is that it is the end of an age in their calender

Quote Originally Posted by bsaenz24 View Post
    Good idea. Of course, I for one NEVER thought Dracula was a Mayan. Just want to make that clear!!!
    I thought he might have been a Mayan. Maybe he was a Nazi!

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour Ron K's Avatar
    Great thread ...

Quote Originally Posted by TerryE View Post
    The only other thing is that they think the "image" on the last page depicts the end of the world. That and the end of the calendar happens to coincide with some sort of eclipse that only happens once ever 100 years or eclipse that doesn't happen very often. I can't remember exactly (thank you history channel).

I was always of the understanding that the Mayans made many calenders and the one that ended in 2012 was simply the last one of the ones that have survived; and that lead people to belive they were predicting the end of the world by this. A silly notion, but one that has been exploited in recent decades.

Of course, now, Dracula as the first Nazi, has merit...

I wasalso pretty shocked to wake up and find out that I had started a new thread...
    "I'm a vegan. "

I was always of the understanding that the Mayans made many calenders and the one that ended in 2012 was simply the last one of the ones that have survived; and that lead people to belive they were predicting the end of the world by this. A silly notion, but one that has been exploited in recent decades.

Of course, now, Dracula as the first Nazi, has merit...

I wasalso pretty shocked to wake up and find out that I had started a new thread...
    I think that most likely the one ending in 2012 is the last one they even made because of it's length (and because they all but disappeared before needing to make a new one). I think the actual end-date is something like December 22. I believe Dan is right about what that date coincides with as well, which was probably what the Mayans were using for the end of their ages.

If I thought I could actually write a story of Dracula being the first Nazi I would definitely do it, but I doubt I'd do a very good job, lol

You must have drank a lot last night if you don't remember starting a new thread!

Senior Member Hearing Voices Tito_Villa's Avatar
    Now firstly i'm not sure if i believe in ghosts or not. The cottage is an old one, 300+ i think, and there is no-one on one side of the cottage and number 2 is currently empty. There was only me and Annabel the dog in last night so why (for the second time) could i hear someone walking around upstairs? Annabel was barking her head off too!

Every house/cottage has "Occupants", Tom. Other than the ones that actually live there. I met the one that lived in my childhood home, back in '71. Of course, being a kid of only 5, I simply called her "the lady who lives in the basement." Turned out, it was my grandmother who died in that house before I was born, she just wanted to say "hi!" Afterwards, I never saw her again; but the noises in the basement continued.

True story.
    Last edited by srboone; 12-09-2011 at 03:40 PM.
    "I'm a vegan. "

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour divemaster's Avatar
    I, for one, would read a book about Dracula being a Mayan Nazi.