Page 142 of 142 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142
Results 2,821 to 2,839 of 2839

Thread: Random thoughts...

Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Theli's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by saginawhorror View Post
    The 50 inscribed books are just ones that have my name on them. 3 of them have my last name as well. I also have inscribed bookmarks and other swag. One of them by author WH Pugmire came with a full 4 page letter from him. If I could figure out how, I probably would have framed it. Have a few more just generally inscribed with no name.
    That's really cool! I quite like the shorts that I have read of his.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    It wouldn’t be my first rec to someone new/newish to Lansdale, no...too much other good stuff one should read first.
    Here is my Top Ten Lansdale (in loose order of preference);

THE MAGIC WAGON
    BY BIZARRE HANDS
    THE BOTTOMS
    FREEZER BURN
    THE DRIVE-IN 1 (first volume)
    ALL THE EARTH, THROWN TO THE SKY
    FENDER LIZARDS
    THE NIGHTRUNNERS
    COLD IN JULY
    ...and perhaps THE BIG BLOW.

Here is my Top Ten Lansdale (in loose order of preference);

THE MAGIC WAGON
    BY BIZARRE HANDS
    THE BOTTOMS
    FREEZER BURN
    THE DRIVE-IN 1 (first volume)
    ALL THE EARTH, THROWN TO THE SKY
    FENDER LIZARDS
    THE NIGHTRUNNERS
    COLD IN JULY
    ...and perhaps THE BIG BLOW.
    Have you read THE THICKET? I thought that book was fantastic.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication TacomaDiver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    I loved that one!

I thought the first half was fantastic; the second half was fairly good. All in all, not one of my favorites.

I thought the first half was fantastic; the second half was fairly good. All in all, not one of my favorites.
    Interesting. Of Lansdale's I think I might read Paradise Sky or Cold in July next. Though Hell Hound is next up in the TBR pile.

Oh, I love HELL HOUND by Greenhall...Maybe this will finally be the one we’ll agree on! ;-)

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Brian861's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by saginawhorror View Post
    The 50 inscribed books are just ones that have my name on them. 3 of them have my last name as well. I also have inscribed bookmarks and other swag. One of them by author WH Pugmire came with a full 4 page letter from him. If I could figure out how, I probably would have framed it. Have a few more just generally inscribed with no name.
    Agree with Dan. The letter is pretty cool.

Oh, I love HELL HOUND by Greenhall...Maybe this will finally be the one we’ll agree on! ;-)
    I've heard only great things. I got the Valancourt edition through the Nocturnal Reader's Box and I've been moving it up the TBR pile with every cheering endorsement. But then I saw that Centipede Press is going to do an edition and I wanted to see if I thought it was worth getting it again from CP. Since I have Jerad's The Dogs and Hell Hound would be the next in that vintage horror series.

And this raises an interesting question. Is Jerad involved with Valancourt? I noticed that Valancourt is doing a lot of the books that Centipede later releases as limiteds. Notably the Blackburn novels as well as Hell Hound. Maybe it's just random overlap.

Senior Member Totally Insane Martin's Avatar
    Hell Hound is a very fun and creative story. I really enjoyed it! An author I will seek out more from who was introduced to me through The Nocturnal Reader's Box.

And this raises an interesting question. Is Jerad involved with Valancourt? I noticed that Valancourt is doing a lot of the books that Centipede later releases as limiteds. Notably the Blackburn novels as well as Hell Hound. Maybe it's just random overlap.
    I can't say for sure, but my impression is that there is no direct involvement...at least, I haven't seen any suggestion that there's any collaboration or merging of company's resources/efforts/etc. I suspect it's more random and coincidental than planned. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if they were at least in some sort of basic communication so that their presses could -- when appropriate, like in the instances you mention -- be complementary or helpful to one another with title selection, estate contacts, text scans, etc...but of course I've no idea.

EDIT: By the way, glad to see others enjoy the Vintage Horrors series from Centipede. I have the 1st ed. HC of Greenhall's BAXTER (aka HELL HOUND) that was released under his Jessica Hamilton pseudonym, but also plan to get the Centipede edition...got to keep that Vintage series intact and going!
    Last edited by RonClinton; 04-18-2018 at 03:47 PM.

In other Lansdale news, I just bought The Long Ones on eBay. :/

In other Lansdale news, I just bought The Long Ones on eBay. :/
    Congrats — that’s a good one! Lansdale really shines in the short and novella form.

Congrats — that’s a good one! Lansdale really shines in the short and novella form.
    I've wanted to get Bubba Ho Tep since I have Bubba and the Cosmic Bloodsuckers and it looked like this edition is kinda rare.

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? bookworm 1's Avatar
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    Interesting. Of Lansdale's I think I might read Paradise Sky or Cold in July next. Though Hell Hound is next up in the TBR pile.
    I loved The Thicket and I loved Hell Hound . I was also introduced to it through Nocternal Readers.
    My Favorite Joe R. Lansdale books so far are
    Cold in July
    The Drive In
    Savage Season
    Edge of Dark Water
    Bleeding Shadows a short story collection
    Black Hat Jack
    High Cotton another short story collection
    I have quite a few more Lansdale books in my tbr pile including Act of Love and The Bottoms. I have read the short version of The Bottoms in 999 called Mad Dog Summer and thought it was an amazing piece of work.

Quote Originally Posted by bookworm 1 View Post
    I have read the short version of The Bottoms in 999 called Mad Dog Summer and thought it was an amazing piece of work.
    I believe THE BOTTOMS, the novel, to be -- all things considered -- Joe's masterpiece. Every author turns out a book over the span of a career that is the pinnacle of his/her ability, one that has the best chance of standing the test of time and changing public tastes...THE BOTTOMS is Joe's.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    I believe THE BOTTOMS, the novel, to be -- all things considered -- Joe's masterpiece. Every author turns out a book over the span of a career that is the pinnacle of his/her ability, one that has the best chance of standing the test of time and changing public tastes...THE BOTTOMS is Joe's.
    Agreed. The Bottoms is a fantastic novel that transcends what Lansdale had done before and should rightfully go down as a classic both in the genre and out. Now if only I could find a lettered edition that wouldn’t cost a kidney...

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication TacomaDiver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    Agreed. The Bottoms is a fantastic novel that transcends what Lansdale had done before and should rightfully go down as a classic both in the genre and out. Now if only I could find a lettered edition that wouldn’t cost a kidney...
    Heck, the "regular" numbered copy is pretty pricey at times too. Just funny how books with even lower print runs are quite a bit cheaper (not just with Landale, but McCammon has this happen - especially The Border - why is that one so expensive? Or Wolf's Hour?)

Quote Originally Posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    Heck, the "regular" numbered copy is pretty pricey at times too. Just funny how books with even lower print runs are quite a bit cheaper (not just with Landale, but McCammon has this happen - especially The Border - why is that one so expensive? Or Wolf's Hour?)
    My assumption is that like with all collectables it just has to do with supply and demand. The more popular titles for the fan/collector (and/or the more renowned for the speculator) will incite more demand so the resale prices stay high, whereas the less popular titles have less demand so are easier to snag at a reasonable price -- e.g. a much more popular novel with a 500-copy run will still outvalue in resale a less popular novel at 350 copies. There are always exceptions to the rule due to, for example(s), unsightly production qualities of an otherwise in-demand title, or it was overpriced to begin with (ala SUMMER OF NIGHT by Simmons (Sub Press)), or perhaps an in-demand title already had a signed/limited produced (ala SWAN SONG, which actually seems to be holding its value just fine), but I do think in general that, these variables and others aside, supply-and-demand rule tends to rule the aftermarket...and not all titles by a particular author have equal demand.