Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Must read Koontz books...

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar
    Jesus Christ, Mr. Checkov, and the chubby guy from Young Adult. In a film directed by the guy responsible for Van Helsing. Hmmmmm.....
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session TerryE's Avatar
    Wasn't Dafoe brilliant as Jesus?? I love that movie.
    "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar
    Another great movie! He was brilliant. Dafoe may not have won any awards that year, but he was definitely the actor of the year for two brilliant turns in The Last Temptation of Christ and Mississippi Burning.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session TJCams's Avatar
    I am a recent Koontz fan - I was never much of a reader, especially fiction. How stupid of me!!!!!

Because I enjoy sci-fi, horror, etc. And love the Stephen King movies, and have started knocking off some of his books now too.

Anyways.........

First Koontz book for me was Voice of The Night - found it very interesting, hard to put down
    Next in line was Phantoms - again, great book, story, characters - loved it!
    Popped a SK book in after that
    Went back to Koontz with a 3 story book that had Shattered - thought this was short, but very good! After Shattered was Whispers - again, thought it was a very good storyline, with good characters (not great I would say), and left you wanting to know what happened next. The 3rd story in this book is Watchers. I did NOT continue on to that one, as I had a co-worker dump 5 of his novels on me (no complaints!), and figured I'd read them in order of when they were released. Well Strangers came before Watchers, so that is what I am reading now. Thoroughly enjoying Strangers, mind you, I am not that far into it yet. Just finished Chapter 1 - still introducing characters.

I will follow up on my last post here, since nobody else has....

Strangers was a great read! It took me longer than I wanted, but I finished it. I was so glad I got my hands on this. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone.

I am now reading TickTock. I was given this paperback for free. Mind you, this was a book that once I read what it was about, that I wanted to read it. So far, so good. I am about 1/2 way through, and there is quite a lot of action in it. The story is flowing well, which is of course good. Again, I have enjoyed it, and find it hard to put down.

Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Martin's Avatar
    I have not read a lot of Koontz but of the few I have read I would say that Intensity was my favorite.

I head that, that was a good one. Unless I get one given to me, I probably won't be buying a few for a while. I have 3 more after TickTock that I have to jump into that were given to me a few months back. Plus I have at least 3 CD books that have arrived recently too.

His new one 77 Shadow Street looks like it could be a good read too - flipped through it at a store in town, and as I said, looks to be pretty good. I have not heard any reviews on it though.

Senior Member Inmate Neiaushie79's Avatar
    The Dark Place is a definite!

Quote Originally Posted by bsaenz24 View Post
    Ok, while Koontz has been of my reading list for a few years now, since his stories stopped holding my interest, I think he has a good list of must read titles. Here's a few:

Watchers
    Whispers
    Lightning
    Strangers
    Midnight
    Bad Place
    Phantoms
    Dark Rivers of the Heart
    Love, love all his books! Loved the Watchers, Your Heart Belongs to Me, Tick Tock, Hideway, Midnight, Twilight Eyes.

Basically everything his written I loved. He is one of my favorite authors for sure. Someone I read when I need inspiration.

I will be finishing The Key to Midnight tonight. It is one of those that I always skipped over for some reason, and my daughter got it for me at Xmas. I finally felt I needed to slip a Koontz into my reads, and was pleasantly surprised at this one. It's quite an exciting story, and virtually no supernatural stuff going on. It's a story involving real people, experiencing some potentially real events. A little mystery, a little political intrigue, and of course a little love story thrown in as well.

If you like Koontz, I would say add this to your must read list.

Junior Member Lurker
    Dean Koontz was really the first author i really fell in love with when I was younger, or Dean R Koontz back than. I really didn't start reading until I was in high school and read a few books by Stephen King and liked them but one day I saw Lightning by Koontz at a grocery store and read the first paragraph and was hooked. I really went wild with his books and I think i read most of what he had out at the time but I might be wrong. The only one i didn't finish was about a small mountain town where everyone had dissappeared and I think some people were found dead. I can't recall the name though. I lost the book and for whatever reason never replaced it. But of those early works, four stand out to me; Lightning, The Bad Place, Strangers and Twilight Eyes. Since then though I had kids and reading came to a complete stop. I have now started reading again and one of the first ones I got was 77 Shadow Street and was really dissappointed with it. So unless something he does just jumps out at me, I might just leave him alone unless I go through his list and find something from "the good ol days" that I missed.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication subie09lega's Avatar
    I read Wilderness a couple days ago. Interesting, short story intro to his next novel, Innocence.

I've heard some not so good reviews on 77 Shadow Street - never bothered to grab that. Innocence looks like it might be good though.

kingkrazy - I think Strangers is the best of his works that I have read so far. I did like Whispers a lot too, and Phantoms. TikTok was good, but not great.

I've heard some not so good reviews on 77 Shadow Street - never bothered to grab that. Innocence looks like it might be good though.

kingkrazy - I think Strangers is the best of his works that I have read so far. I did like Whispers a lot too, and Phantoms. TikTok was good, but not great.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication subie09lega's Avatar
    I noticed there's another Koontz novel on the horizon....

http://www.amazon.com/The-City-Novel...mm_hrd_title_0

Senior Member Hearing Voices
    SCRIPHmmm...might be interesting. The description is a little vague, though. I find Koontz to be a little hit or miss, but I'll probably keep an eye out for it. What's one more book on the old TBR pile

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Theli's Avatar
    To be honest it doesn't sound like my cup of tea, but who knows it might be damn good.

Junior Member Part-timer
    I liked 77 Shadow Street a lot. A must-read Dean Koontz series is the Odd Thomas books. The last one St. Odd will be released Dec. 14th.

Senior Member Hearing Voices
    I haven't read anything by Koontz in a while. I might need to change that soon.