Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tommy View Post
    I love that movie! if you like del Toro's other movies you should like that one too, I think I've lost the ability to feel genuinely scared by a movie at this point because I've seen too many of them, and real life is always scarier, but that one does have a nice scary feel to it
    I know what you mean. I can't remember the last time I've been spooked or scared at all by any movie. I would love to find one that does that for me. Stuff like Insidious was kind of cool, but didn't really affect me much. There are movies like The Collector which are neat too, but again not much affect on me. The new Texas Chainsaw was OK. I even recently watched Rob Zombie's Halloween and Devil's Rejects - those are not really "scary" horror, but more slasher flicks right..... Oh well, hopefully one day I will find something that "disturbs" me. I do want something to freak me out. Even my 14yr old daughter isn't phased much and she's seen the Saw movies, The Collector, Haunting in Connecticut.

Or is it the adult in me (us). I think a movie like Poltergeist (for example) probably scared me a bit as a child (I was 9 when it came out I think - born in '73). Love that movie by the way.... I know the guy (Cain I think?) in the 2nd one creeped me out back in the day. I am seriously waiting for a movie that I sit down and watch (likely by myself - wife is not into this genre one bit) and it will make me jump.

To add to this - this goes for books for me as well. Haven't really been creeped out. Grossed out - yes (Teratologist was kind of gross, and The Resurrectionist was quite gorey, and Off Season falls into this category too), but genuinely scared - no, not really. And yes - I want to be!!!!
    Last edited by TJCams; 05-29-2013, 08:27 PM.

Comment

I feel the same way, I love scary movies but I don't really feel scared anymore....they're just good.
      After listening to SK's interview on Fresh Air yesterday I felt like he was talking about me - the supernatural and horror don't scare me, the things like losing my mind and being incapable of caring for myself does. Like being trapped in Annie Wilkes house and dependent upon a psycho for my needs. That is an horrific thought.

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
      I know what you mean. I can't remember the last time I've been spooked or scared at all by any movie. I would love to find one that does that for me. Stuff like Insidious was kind of cool, but didn't really affect me much. There are movies like The Collector which are neat too, but again not much affect on me. The new Texas Chainsaw was OK. I even recently watched Rob Zombie's Halloween and Devil's Rejects - those are not really "scary" horror, but more slasher flicks right..... Oh well, hopefully one day I will find something that "disturbs" me. I do want something to freak me out. Even my 14yr old daughter isn't phased much and she's seen the Saw movies, The Collector, Haunting in Connecticut.

Or is it the adult in me (us). I think a movie like Poltergeist (for example) probably scared me a bit as a child (I was 9 when it came out I think - born in '73). Love that movie by the way.... I know the guy (Cain I think?) in the 2nd one creeped me out back in the day. I am seriously waiting for a movie that I sit down and watch (likely by myself - wife is not into this genre one bit) and it will make me jump.

Comment

I think it has a lot to do with what we experience in our lives too. The everyday stresses of life can be pretty darn scary. I think in my case, I am un-phased by a lot of things, and I think my wife wonders why I don't react like she expected to certain things. I take into consideration that I lived through hell as a 12-13yr old - not only do I move, and switch schools (didn't move out of town per se, just to the outskirts...) at the same time I was dealing with childhood cancer - going out of town for treatment very often (Thank you London, Ontario Victoria Hospital) - which until you experience it firsthand is scarier than any book or movie could ever be.

But....back to the topic - I really want to watch/read something that will scare me.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your childhood troubles, I'm glad you made it through all that.
          While most movies do not scare me, some out there are quite disturbing, if you don't mind french subtitles, I suggest Inside, Martyrs, a german film called Cannibal, which is based on a real life event, A really good survivor horror film is Eden Lake, A film called Taxidermia, A Serbian Film is quite shocking, and then there is the murky depths of low-budget horror with movies like the August Underground series, not really good films but what they choose to show is so audacious, they can't be ignored, I will try to post more when I go through my records and look for some more disturbing flicks

Edit: Some of these films have edited versions like Inside and A Serbian Film just FYI
          Last edited by Tommy; 05-29-2013, 11:46 PM.

Comment

I am also waiting to see a movie or read a book and actually be scared. Don't remember being scared in the past though, so won't be surprised if I don't find a movie or book that has that effect on me. I have been surprised enough to jump in the past, but never jumped due to fear.

I don't know if I can see anything in a movie that would gross me out though because of some of the stuff I saw when I was in the Army and even since then that were real things and not fake. If I saw some stuff right in front of me then some of the things may be able to gross me out though
            WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
            Spoiler!

Comment

The movie Juon: The Grudge (not the crap American remake) freaks me out every time I see it.

Then there's this little gem!

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=0z6xGU2_g9s
              "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Star Trek Into Darkness: Solid, silly actioner that is given an unspectacular treatment by JJ Abrams. Felt less like a Star Trek film and more like Abrams got his hands on a dictionary of everything Star Trek and he started throwing stuff into a trunk script he dusted off. Simon Pegg as Scotty still feels like comic relief stunt casting and Karl Urban's Dr. McCoy seems out of place in this future; but Zachary Quinto emerges as a great Spock and deserves to be the hero of the new ST films. It was good to see that Abrams removed the white flash as his camera moved and the sight of the Enterprise moving to warp speed in 3D IMAX was worth the price of admission. And Benedict Cumberbatch has an awesome voice! Hopefully, the new ST films will become more original now that the preliminaries are out of the way.

3/5
                Last edited by srboone; 05-31-2013, 09:44 PM.
                "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Dark Skies: I had wanted to see this at the theatre, but missed out on it. Movies are too damned expensive these days!!!! Anyhow - this was a pretty good one. Yes, a lot of the scenes shown in the trailers were some of the best scenes, yet overall it was a good story. This is pretty much a different take on the whole close encounters concept but with more updated "goings on" based on the many reports and "evidence" of alien encounters, of course depending on what you believe or not. I think it is obvious what the movie is about, so I don't want to spoil anything for those who have not seen it. It is pretty obvious where the storyline is going, and for me, the ending was pretty good, and at least for me - unexpected.

3.5/5 - There was nothing groundbreaking or spectacular about it, but with an overall good story, good action, and a few interesting twists, it was worth watching, and would watch it again.

Comment

The Purge: I was really looking forward to this little horror film, but in the end it was so generic to be uninteresting. The premise is solid and promising: In a future America, the problems of overpopulation, unemployment, poverty, and violent crime have been solved by making ALL crime legal for 1 12-hour period one day per year. Unfortunately, the execution of the film is clichéd and unimaginative. We don't get to know the motivations of the characters or the world they live in; the film doesn't really create any genuine shocks or suspense; and all situations are resolved in the same manner. It's quite disappointing because this one held a lot of promise.

2/5
                    "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

That's a bummer, I thought it looked like it might be good. Kind of like the other recent Ethan Hawke flick, Sinister. Didn't think it was as scary as I had heard.
                      Originally posted by srboone View Post
                      The Purge: I was really looking forward to this little horror film, but in the end it was so generic to be uninteresting. The premise is solid and promising: In a future America, the problems of overpopulation, unemployment, poverty, and violent crime have been solved by making ALL crime legal for 1 12-hour period one day per year. Unfortunately, the execution of the film is clichéd and unimaginative. We don't get to know the motivations of the characters or the world they live in; the film doesn't really create any genuine shocks or suspense; and all situations are resolved in the same manner. It's quite disappointing because this one held a lot of promise.

2/5

Comment

Has anyone watched Room 237?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJr7TEVvjqw

Comment

I think Tommy has. He posted a review for it a while ago.
                          "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                            I think Tommy has. He posted a review for it a while ago.
                            Yup, it is quite a wacky "thing" some people will hate it but only if you go into thinking you might learn some secrets about The Shining, really you just learn how people's imaginations can get carried away over a stellar piece of art, I did like it but only just

Comment

I just watched the Burning (1981). It was a damn fun slasher movie. With just the right amount of teen nostalgia and bloody violence.

Comment

Well, I watched The Girl Next Door on Saturday morning on Netflix. Haven't read the book yet, but couldn't resist. It was actually a pretty good movie, but the entire premise/story of it was sad. To think that stuff like this could (and likely does) happen is just a head shaker. I wonder how much of the movie is comparable to the actual events Ketchum based them upon.

Comment

Working...
                                X