Page 98 of 98 FirstFirst ... 4888969798
Results 1,941 to 1,942 of 1942

Thread: Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar
    Spent the last couple of days watching movies:

War for the Planet of the Apes: The best of the new Apes films. And it's about war--and so much more. This thing is brutal. Great CGI, great cinematography, terrific writing (paying homage to a myriad of great war films), masterful direction, a magnificent score that show influences of the classic war films of the 60s, 70s and 80s--but is its own...ape. Plus a truly memorable performance by Andy Serkis as the aging leader Caesar. This is the high point of what is THE example of how to reimagine and reboot a franchise. I wish more remakes were of this quality.

5/5

Spiderman: Homecoming: It's cute. That's the best thing I can say. Holland is an excellent Peter Parker/Spiderman, Michael Keaton is terrific as the villain, but Marisa Tomei is ridiculously miscast as Aunt May. The CGI is uneven, with some scenes looking like video game footage. Still, it's better than the two Amazing Spiderman films (which isn't really saying much.) Two game-changing superhero films, Logan and Wonder Woman, have made filler/fodder like Homecoming irrelevant. But the sequel to this film is supposed to start a new story arc in the MCU; maybe that one will have a different tone.

2/5

And finally

Squirm: This 1976 tongue-in-cheek horror pic about a Georgia community besieged by hordes of very hungry worms (regular sized) is pretty silly, but it does have some very good scenes of shock and gore.

It was only rated PG, but it is effective and was enjoyable late night fare. There's a new over-the-air movie channel in Kansas City called COMET that does a pretty good job of finding obscure sci-fi/horror films to show. Plus it shows reuns of Mystery Science Theater 3000 on Sunday nights.

3/5
    Last edited by srboone; 07-14-2017 at 10:16 PM.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Administrator Totally Insane Dan Hocker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by srboone View Post
    Spiderman: Homecoming: It's cute. That's the best thing I can say. Holland is an excellent Peter Parker/Spiderman, Michael Keaton is terrific as the villain, but Marisa Tomei is ridiculously miscast as Aunt May. The CGI is uneven, with some scenes looking like video game footage. Still, it's better than the two Amazing Spiderman films (which isn't really saying much.) Two game-changing superhero films, Logan and Wonder Woman, have made filler/fodder like Homecoming irrelevant. But the sequel to this film is supposed to start a new story arc in the MCU; maybe that one will have a different tone.

2/5
    I couldn't disagree with you more on this one. While I wouldn't put Spider-man on the same level as Logan or Wonder Woman, it's probably one of the most grounded super hero movies we've had in the MCU. The consequences weren't world ending or anything like that. It was refreshing for a Marvel movie. The humor was particularly on point. The plot was good, the acting was good, Tomei was miscast, but she played it well. I honestly saw no problems with the CGI (go back and look at Spider-Man 1 and 2 again and tell me the CGI in this isn't better). They both look like early 2000's CGI, which is to say it hasn't aged well.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think was a perfect movie either. I'd probably only give it a 3 or 3.5. It didn't feel "new". Probably just too many different spider-man movies at this point. But I don't think the problem was with this movie, just with over saturation.
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com
    Ebook Email: danhocker@dhdigitaleditions.com
    eBook Website: www.dhdigitaleditions.com

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Twitter - Facebook - Twitch.tv