Page 99 of 99 FirstFirst ... 4989979899
Results 1,961 to 1,975 of 1975

Thread: Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Administrator Totally Insane Dan Hocker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by subie09lega View Post
    I'm hoping someone goes to see BR 2049 and posts their thoughts. My buddy wants to go next week but I'm hesitant. I've only seen BR once which was a few years ago and I guess it didn't fall into the cult classic category for me but I think I'll try watching it again to see if I can glean more from it than during the first screening. I heard a review for BR 2049 last night and the reviewer was rather neutral about it but the Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes scores are pretty high.
    I'm planning on seeing it this weekend. I fall pretty much in line with you on BR. It was fine, but it wasn't what the "hype" made it out to be (for me at least). That said I'd probably have seen this one based on the director alone.
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com
    Ebook Email: danhocker@dhdigitaleditions.com
    eBook Website: www.dhdigitaleditions.com

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Twitter - Facebook - Twitch.tv

Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Theli's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by srboone View Post
    mother! was a difficult film to process, but once I tarted looking at every character as a stand in for someone/thing else, I enjoyed it. (Ed Harris and Michelle Pfieffer as Adam and Eve, their children as Cain and Abel, Jennifer Lawrence as Mother Earth, and--I think--Javier Bardem as God, or at least Man striving to be God. Even the octagonal home as the Garden of Eden).

But like you, I won't be watching it again anytime soon.
    I think you nailed it there (not to mention the baby...), and I think it was relatively obvious upon watching it. But I think there is more too it as well. I think the obvious allegory is almost allegory for something else; the creative process primarily, the pressure of celebrity and the constant bombardment of social media/always being available and online (rise of technology like smartphones etc.) as well as it's relation to celebrity and creativity. The movie has a lot and it's really chaotic, yet also controlled.

I know the writing process for this film was quite different from Aronofsky's usual. Short and frantic as opposed to long and composed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    I'm planning on seeing it this weekend. I fall pretty much in line with you on BR. It was fine, but it wasn't what the "hype" made it out to be (for me at least). That said I'd probably have seen this one based on the director alone.
    I'm just gonna copy and paste something I posted elsewhere for this.

Just got out of Blade Runner 2049. I really couldn't say if it was good or not. It was very Blade Runner. It was stunning looking. It was certainly art. I think if you're into Blade Runner you will probably like it, maybe love it. If, like me, you are in-different towards Blade Runner, you probably won't know what to think about it.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    I'm just gonna copy and paste something I posted elsewhere for this.

Just got out of Blade Runner 2049. I really couldn't say if it was good or not. It was very Blade Runner. It was stunning looking. It was certainly art. I think if you're into Blade Runner you will probably like it, maybe love it. If, like me, you are in-different towards Blade Runner, you probably won't know what to think about it.
    I'm not the biggest Blade Runner fan, but I'll be seeing this solely on the strength of director, Denis Villeneuve. I've loved all of his movies so far (Sicario!) so I'm in. We're really getting some great directors of "dark" movies right now: the aforementioned Villanueve, Michael Flanagan, Jeremy Saulnier, and S. Craig Zahler.

Quote Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    I'm not the biggest Blade Runner fan, but I'll be seeing this solely on the strength of director, Denis Villeneuve. I've loved all of his movies so far (Sicario!) so I'm in. We're really getting some great directors of "dark" movies right now: the aforementioned Villanueve, Michael Flanagan, Jeremy Saulnier, and S. Craig Zahler.
    That and the trailers / shorts they've released are what drove me to see it as well. I'm glad I did, though I still don't know what I think about it really.

Senior Member Hearing Voices mhatchett's Avatar
    I loved the original. I saw when it first came out and I wasn't sure what I would think of it, but it clicked for me. My first experience Edward James Olmos. All of the replicants are great. I'll go and watch the new release and hope that I'm as pleasantly surprised as I was with the first one.

Member Part-timer
    I was also a big fan of the original and have remained a fan of it ever since. I look forward to seeing it soon. My daughter saw it and tells me it's "Amazing", but many things are described thus by her, so I'll wait and see.

Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Theli's Avatar
    Watched Boys in the Trees on Netflix yesterday. Wasn't sure what to expect. It started a bit rocky, made me think it was going to be a simple teen horror with irritating characters and bad 90's music. Glad I stuck it out though, it was actually quite an insightful piece of Halloween melancholia. Dark, eerie and dreamlike; it's a coming of age story with a message about individuality, bullying and pack mentality. It may fall into some clichés here and there, but overall it was a well made movie with an original idea and execution.

Senior Member Hearing Voices Brian861's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Theli View Post
    Watched Boys in the Trees on Netflix yesterday. Wasn't sure what to expect. It started a bit rocky, made me think it was going to be a simple teen horror with irritating characters and bad 90's music. Glad I stuck it out though, it was actually quite an insightful piece of Halloween melancholia. Dark, eerie and dreamlike; it's a coming of age story with a message about individuality, bullying and pack mentality. It may fall into some clichés here and there, but overall it was a well made movie with an original idea and execution.
    Might have to check that out. Thanks, Dan!

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session TJCams's Avatar
    Caught a couple this weekend (Cdn Thanksgiving holiday weekend).... as well as seeing "It" at the show. I really enjoyed It. It was updated for sure, but considering the material they had to jam into 1 movie, I thought they did it quite well. Didn't really like hearing this guy complaining to his wife how they missed this and that and this and that.....

The Crucifixion - saw a trailer on YouTube - checked it out yesterday. Not bad, you could really see how it was influenced by The Exorcist and other exorcism type movies. Wasn't great, wasn't terrible.

little evil - it's written this way on the cover. Funny, kind of corny, has some kind of scary parts too - good a goofy, off the wall fun Halloween type movie.

Gerald's Game - A Netflix movie, and one that was quite good. I have NOT read the book. With a minimal cast of characters, this was one where I didn't know how it would be pulled off, or how good it would be. There were more than a couple scenes where my wife had to look away. Well done Mike Flanagan!

Member Part-timer
    I knew Gerald's Game was coming up but I didn't realise it was a Netflix movie. I feel a bit uneasy about the idea of watching that.
    When I read the book, the climactic scene was so gruesome, I have never wanted to read it again, and is the first thing I think of when I think if that book. Strange really - I can't think of any other specific incident in an SK (or any other writer's) book that affected me that way.
    But having said all that, I'll be watching it soon, I guess.

Senior Member 2nd Electroshock Session Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HumphreyBear View Post
    I knew Gerald's Game was coming up but I didn't realise it was a Netflix movie. I feel a bit uneasy about the idea of watching that.
    When I read the book, the climactic scene was so gruesome, I have never wanted to read it again, and is the first thing I think of when I think if that book. Strange really - I can't think of any other specific incident in an SK (or any other writer's) book that affected me that way.
    But having said all that, I'll be watching it soon, I guess.
    I read Gerald's Game out loud to my wife. We both really enjoyed the story. After finishing it my mom borrowed the book to read. She could not believe I could read that story out loud to anyone. Wife and I both enjoyed the movie but not as much as the book.

Anyone else see Justice League? I enjoyed it, though I can understand why critics wouldn't like it. It did suffer from "generic superhero villain" syndrome, but they pretty much all do, unless that villain is named Loki, Magneto, or Hydra. It's unfortunate that it's not making a ton of money as I was looking forward to the other movies they were planning, but who knows how many of those will happen going forward. I'm sure we'll still get Aquaman, because I'm pretty sure that's currently filming or already wrapped filming.

Senior Member Hearing Voices Brian861's Avatar
    Anyone else see Justice League? I enjoyed it, though I can understand why critics wouldn't like it. It did suffer from "generic superhero villain" syndrome, but they pretty much all do, unless that villain is named Loki, Magneto, or Hydra. It's unfortunate that it's not making a ton of money as I was looking forward to the other movies they were planning, but who knows how many of those will happen going forward. I'm sure we'll still get Aquaman, because I'm pretty sure that's currently filming or already wrapped filming.
    These are all pretty much rentals for me these days outside of GOTU.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    I finally checked Justice League out and it fell somewhere in the middle for me. It was better than Batman Vs Superman, but not as good as Wonder Woman. I agree that Steppenwolf wasn't a great villain, but really wasn't horrible either. I think that the movie suffered from the same issues as BvS, which was too much heavy lifting was trying to be done: set up villain, resolve plot threads from BvS, introduce three new characters... it was just too much for the movie to handle well. I liked that they tried to add some lightheartedness to the story, but most just fell flat for me.

The good part was I thought that everyone was well-cast. Affleck as Batman works for me, Gadot as Wonder Woman is perfect, Momoa's Aquaman is SO much better--and more fun--than expected, Ray Fisher as Cyborg is solid, but just not given enough time to establish a lot. The only one that just did not work for me was Ezra Miller as The Flash. I don't know if it was the script or Miller's performance, but it just didn't work for me.

Overall, I think that Justice League works fine as a capstone to the trilogy begun by Man of Steel and BvS. I'm hoping they can course-correct a little more in the future movies, though I'm afraid that Flashpoint--if it still happens--will try to retcon some of the issues from these movies, which would be a mistake. Just move forward and don't look back.