Page 101 of 101 FirstFirst ... 519199100101
Results 2,001 to 2,018 of 2018

Thread: Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Administrator Totally Insane Dan Hocker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by subie09lega View Post
    I think I just need to watch it again, wouldn't be the first time for me that a movie was better the second time.
    2049 is one of those movies that I think you either love or you're just "meh" on. I don't think I've seen anyone who hates it. For me it took me awhile to process my feelings on the movie. At the end of the day I think I fell on the "love" side of the line. Which is kinda surprising, because I don't particularly care one way or the other about the original. Mostly though it was just beautiful to look at and I honestly didn't see the twist coming.
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com
    Ebook Email: danhocker@dhdigitaleditions.com
    eBook Website: www.dhdigitaleditions.com

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Twitter - Facebook - Twitch.tv

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    2049 is one of those movies that I think you either love or you're just "meh" on. I don't think I've seen anyone who hates it. For me it took me awhile to process my feelings on the movie. At the end of the day I think I fell on the "love" side of the line. Which is kinda surprising, because I don't particularly care one way or the other about the original. Mostly though it was just beautiful to look at and I honestly didn't see the twist coming.
    I can see that. I was on the “love” side as well, but the more I reflect on it, the more I can see it just not being somebody’s jam. I definitely see myself revisiting it in the future. Gosling’s performance was wonderfully understated.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication subie09lega's Avatar
    Annihilation, ummmm, wow. This movie is not what I was expecting from the ads. I didn't even really want to go but my buddy suggested it and I'm glad he did. Looking forward to watching again.

Annihilation, ummmm, wow. This movie is not what I was expecting from the ads. I didn't even really want to go but my buddy suggested it and I'm glad he did. Looking forward to watching again.
    I keep seeing this a lot. What impresion did you get from the trailers / ads? I haven't seen the movie yet, but the way everyone is describing it, it's pretty much what I pictured from that first trailer.

I keep seeing this a lot. What impresion did you get from the trailers / ads? I haven't seen the movie yet, but the way everyone is describing it, it's pretty much what I pictured from that first trailer.
    I thought there would be more action but the action is rather minimal. When it was over, I felt it had a feel similar to Arrival, with more tenseness in it. There's a couple scenes that were pretty creepy.

I thought there would be more action but the action is rather minimal. When it was over, I felt it had a feel similar to Arrival, with more tenseness in it. There's a couple scenes that were pretty creepy.
    Hmm interesting. Like I said I only saw the first trailer, so maybe the other trailers / tv spots where what made people think it was an action / sci-fi movie. Then again I think Paramount did a terrible job of marketing the movie. Basically very few people even seemed to know it existed (as evidenced by the box office).

Senior Member Totally Insane Martin's Avatar
    Hmm interesting. Like I said I only saw the first trailer, so maybe the other trailers / tv spots where what made people think it was an action / sci-fi movie. Then again I think Paramount did a terrible job of marketing the movie. Basically very few people even seemed to know it existed (as evidenced by the box office).
    I fall in that category. I discovered it based on looking at the weekend box office take and having a movie in third place that I had not heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I fall in that category. I discovered it based on looking at the weekend box office take and having a movie in third place that I had not heard of.
    I think I saw two trailers and read one weekend earnings article about it before seeing the movie. The article stated the the advertising wasn't a good portrayal of what the movie actually is, which gave me a better idea what to expect though it still didn't prepare me for what it is. I see that it's not for everyone. I've tried to think of the people that I would recommend it to and there aren't many I know who would appreciate it because of a couple scenes that would be way too much for them. I have friends that freak out during scary movie trailers (Winchester for example) and this isn't something I'd even bring in conversation with them. While others I know who wouldn't be able to stay awake because it does move fairly slowly. I think you guys would like it. This really isn't a spoiler but in case you're afraid of any spoiler stop reading now......there's a scene with a bear that is jacked up and awesome. I was like, what the crap!

....and the CD announcement is how I found out that the movie is based on a book. I guess I missed that in the credits.

I'm positive I'll like it. Just need to find the time to actually go and see it. Maybe this weekend. I've heard it compared to Arrival, which I really loved, so I'm all about that.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Dazed and Confused: My wife had never seen this and it's been a good long time since I had so I picked up the Criterion Blu-Ray a little while back. I remember really liking the movie when I first saw it about twenty years ago, but now with some distance I can say that it moved from "like" to "love". What a great "hang-out" flick that even though it is set in the 70s, feels timeless. The cast is uniformly great and the movie is just plain fun. The Criterion Blu-Ray is chock full of extras I have yet to delve into, but the new transfer is amazing. Grade: A

A Ghost Story: This movie has been on my radar for a while, but I've been hesitant to sit down and watch it. I'd heard nothing but great things, but also knew that it was more "artsy" and I've been recently burned with that type of flick. I decided to finally push "play" and was rather worried during the first fifteen minutes or so as director David Lowery lingered a few beats too long on shots or let scenes play almost to point of disengaging the viewer. And then it clicked. And once the movie started moving, I was swept up in the beauty of the cinematography, the emotion pulsing through the movie's veins, and the amazing score. By the end, the movie had completely won me over. Some scenes are so simple, but hit a nerve that it can make one's heart ache. Grade: A

I saw Ready Player One tonight. Man I loved that movie. Honestly it might be better than the book, and I'm a fan of the book. I was pretty skeptical going in, but all the changes made really suited the shorter form narrative that a movie is. There's some things from the book I would've liked to see them do, but overall it mostly just worked.

Senior Member Hearing Voices Tommy's Avatar
    I saw Ready Player One tonight. Man I loved that movie. Honestly it might be better than the book, and I'm a fan of the book. I was pretty skeptical going in, but all the changes made really suited the shorter form narrative that a movie is. There's some things from the book I would've liked to see them do, but overall it mostly just worked.
    Good to hear. I loved the book as well and was worried but seems like everyone is having positive reactions to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Good to hear. I loved the book as well and was worried but seems like everyone is having positive reactions to it.
    Be warned, the plot is pretty drastically different than the book. That said I really think it needed to be, for the book to work as a movie.

I have not read the book but the previews for the movie intrigue me.

I have not read the book but the previews for the movie intrigue me.
    I think the book is good, as long as "referential" stuff doesn't annoy you.

I think the book is good, as long as "referential" stuff doesn't annoy you.
    I have come close to adding to my Audible library a couple of times. The referential stuff doe not bother me, though occasionally I think "I hope the author is getting paid for this advertising". At some point I will add it.

I have come close to adding to my Audible library a couple of times. The referential stuff doe not bother me, though occasionally I think "I hope the author is getting paid for this advertising". At some point I will add it.
    Yea I listened to the audio book as well. It's a fairly good narration.