No announcement yet.

Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lights Out: I liked this one. It doesn't really add anything new to the genre, but it plays really well within the established rules. Mostly gotcha shocks, but they are well-done. I was pretty freaked out the whole way. Outstanding performances by everyone involved (something you don't see much in these types of films) add to the atmosphere and put this movie over the top for me; and, it tackles the question of why nobody calls the police when shit like this hits the fan (Answer: because they are useless in these scenarios!) Though most people would disagree with me on this, I'll give it

5/5

Star Trek: Beyond: I'm not a fan of the new Star Wars version of Star Trek, but it is what it is I guess. And what it is a big mess of a sci-fi spectacle that lacks anything close to coherency in context or narrative arc. All these actors do their best and give inspired performances (although Idris Elba and the late Anton Yelchin are horrifyingly wasted in their roles) to no effect. Let the fanboys and critics blow smoke up your arses about how it ties in with the original Star Trek, but it really doesn't--it's just embarrassing. Maybe ST4 will get it right.

2/5
    Last edited by srboone; 07-24-2016, 11:48 AM.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Been watching more movies lately and revisiting some favorites:

I loved The Witch and thought it was very creepy, unsettling movie. I don't understand the lack of love this movie has received with people feeling that it "really isn't a horror movie". I can't say that I'd rewatch it all the time but I really enjoyed it. Grade: A

The Hateful Eight was enjoyable--I'm a huge Kurt Russell fan so I might be biased--but I do think it will go down as one of Tarantino's lesser films. I agree with the general complaints that the first half drags, but the second half really makes up for it. Grade: B-

The Revenant was a disappointment. I wanted to be engaged and I wanted to care, but at the end, the movie felt pretty yet empty. DiCaprio does a great job and Hardy is amazing as always, but director Inarritu seemed intent on draining any excitement out of the story. I didn't expect--nor want--Bruckheimer-levels of blockbuster action, but given the basic premise of the movie, I was hoping for a little more pulse-pounding moments. The movie is beautifully shot, but I also believe that if all the long shots of landscapes and trees and running water were excised, the movie would have only been like 75 minutes long. Okay, that's an exaggeration, but still... Grade: C

The Conjuring 2 was a solid follow-up to the first movie, even tying up some loose threads along the way. The movie meandered a bit in the middle as it tried to further various subplots and some of the CGI felt more inline with Wan's Insidious movies. By no means a bad movie and probably one of the better horror sequels, but not the grand slam that I had been hoping for. Grade: B-

I also rewatched Green Room and loved it as much the second time around as I did the first. Anton Yelchin is one of my favorites and I'm still pretty depressed about his passing.

And finally Back to the Future Part I and II. My wife had never seen these so I couldn't pass up the opportunity to revisit them, especially with the 30th Anniversary Blu-Ray set available. These movies are pure entertainment through and through and so much fun, even if it seems that everybody is constantly yelling their lines at each other. The movies have never looked better either. Can't wait to watch the third! Grade: B+

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
        Lights Out: I liked this one. It doesn't really add anything new to the genre, but it plays really well within the established rules. Mostly gotcha shocks, but they are well-done. I was pretty freaked out the whole way. Outstanding performances by everyone involved (something you don't see much in these types of films) add to the atmosphere and put this movie over the top for me; and, it tackles the question of why nobody calls the police when shit like this hits the fan (Answer: because they are useless in these scenarios!) Though most people would disagree with me on this, I'll give it

5/5

Star Trek: Beyond: I'm not a fan of the new Star Wars version of Star Trek, but it is what it is I guess. And what it is a big mess of a sci-fi spectacle that lacks anything close to coherency in context or narrative arc. All these actors do their best and give inspired performances (although Idris Elba and the late Anton Yelchin are horrifyingly wasted in their roles) to no effect. Let the fanboys and critics blow smoke up your arses about how it ties in with the original Star Trek, but it really doesn't--it's just embarrassing. Maybe ST4 will get it right.

2/5
        I plan on seeing Lights Out next week. Your review only supports all the good things I've been hearing about it.

Comment

Caught the theatrical release of

Batman: The Killing Joke: Well done when it sticks to the source material; a lengthy introduction detailing Barbara Gordon's motivations is less successful. I understand why it was put in (in the graphic novel, Barbara is used only as a sexually-exploited plot device for torturing Commissioner Gordon), but it doesn't really work; it was made simply to extend [I]B:TKJ[/I ]to feature length. I never have liked Kevin Conroy as Batman, but Mark Hamill as The Joker is outstanding.

Some great moments but, overall, nothing to really rave about.

3/5

The theatrical run is only July 25-26 only--check http://www.fathomevents.com/event/se...e-killing-joke for tickets/showtimes; on DVD/BD Aug 2)
          Last edited by srboone; 07-26-2016, 05:10 AM.
          "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Thanks for the review!

I considered checking this out, and I really like a lot of the DC Universe animated titles, but after a few minutes of The Dark Knight Returns I ended up choosing to leave the reinterpreted towering classics alone.

There's a kind of implied rape with the comic, sort of (and arguably). Does the movie deal with this or leave it ambiguous like the book?
            “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
            -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

5/5
              I saw the preview for this ahead of The Conjuring 2 (which I thought was really good). It did look good. Hopefully I'll have time to catch it before it leaves the theatre.

Pretty much fell asleep watching The Revenant.

I've heard good things about The Witch also. Still need to get to that one.

Comment

Well, it's kind of ambiguous or not even in there, though Batgirl and Batman have hot Batsex beneath a leering gargoyle in the prologue!
                "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

OK, that's funny! I'm sure I'll check it out at some point when it's convenient, but for now I'm happy with my take from the original. The comic really was a hell of a work and one of my favorites. For my money Alan Moore just rocks it. I'm still always referencing What Ever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow--even though it's one of his less popular it comes up in conversation all the time.
                  “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
                  -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Great comic. Moore is a genius.

Comment

After looking back at the graphic novel, I realize that the movie did mention that Barbara was found in a state of undress, but the she wasn't naked in the pictures of on the walls of the haunted ride.
                      "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Now, apparently, Dawn of Justice was not an official sequel to Man of Steel because MOS is getting a sequel. And with Suicide Squad not even worth the words to Review here (though at least it had attempts at humor in it), the DCEU movies are making me appreciate the campy fun of Batman: The Movie. I watched it the other day and it really is in a (higher) class by itself. Knowingly campy and brilliantly trashy, I'm starting to think Adam West really did make the best Bruce Wayne/Batman.

Suicide Squad: 1/5

Batman: The Movie: 4/5

But check out The Lobster, a terrifically unemotional black comedy/satire about a dystopian future that values being partnered with someone above all else. 4.5/5
                        "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I liked Suicide Squad well enough. Probably give 3/5, entertaining but little depth. That said Batman: The Movie would probably get 3.5. Damn fun movie really.

Comment

Now, apparently, Dawn of Justice was not an official sequel to Man of Steel because MOS is getting a sequel. And with Suicide Squad not even worth the words to Review here (though at least it had attempts at humor in it), the DCEU movies are making me appreciate the campy fun of Batman: The Movie. I watched it the other day and it really is in a (higher) class by itself. Knowingly campy and brilliantly trashy, I'm starting to think Adam West really did make the best Bruce Wayne/Batman.

Suicide Squad: 1/5

Batman: The Movie: 4/5

But check out The Lobster, a terrifically unemotional black comedy/satire about a dystopian future that values being partnered with someone above all else. 4.5/5
                            Just watched The Lobster last night and thought it was great. Colin Farrell has been on a roll with these offbeat films. Kinda glad he didn't stay on the Hollywood blockbuster/action flick route.

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
                              I liked Suicide Squad well enough. Probably give 3/5, entertaining but little depth. That said Batman: The Movie would probably get 3.5. Damn fun movie really.
                              I'm with you on Suicide Squad. I really don't think it and BvS are as bad as people make them out to be. I actually think most of Suicide Squad's attempts at humor are what made it not work as well. Most of the jokes (except Harley's) just felt like they didn't belong.
                              CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                              Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

I didn't actually notice as many jokes or humour as I thought there would be. Even the dynamic of the group and the lack of team deaths was a bit off, but I did like Harley and Leto's Joker was good (not Ledger or Nicholson good, but good) and Smith wasn't bad either.

Comment

Working...
                                X