No announcement yet.

Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I loved the original. I saw when it first came out and I wasn't sure what I would think of it, but it clicked for me. My first experience Edward James Olmos. All of the replicants are great. I'll go and watch the new release and hope that I'm as pleasantly surprised as I was with the first one.

Comment

I was also a big fan of the original and have remained a fan of it ever since. I look forward to seeing it soon. My daughter saw it and tells me it's "Amazing", but many things are described thus by her, so I'll wait and see.

Comment

Watched Boys in the Trees on Netflix yesterday. Wasn't sure what to expect. It started a bit rocky, made me think it was going to be a simple teen horror with irritating characters and bad 90's music. Glad I stuck it out though, it was actually quite an insightful piece of Halloween melancholia. Dark, eerie and dreamlike; it's a coming of age story with a message about individuality, bullying and pack mentality. It may fall into some clichés here and there, but overall it was a well made movie with an original idea and execution.

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
          Watched Boys in the Trees on Netflix yesterday. Wasn't sure what to expect. It started a bit rocky, made me think it was going to be a simple teen horror with irritating characters and bad 90's music. Glad I stuck it out though, it was actually quite an insightful piece of Halloween melancholia. Dark, eerie and dreamlike; it's a coming of age story with a message about individuality, bullying and pack mentality. It may fall into some clichés here and there, but overall it was a well made movie with an original idea and execution.
          Might have to check that out. Thanks, Dan!

Comment

Caught a couple this weekend (Cdn Thanksgiving holiday weekend).... as well as seeing "It" at the show. I really enjoyed It. It was updated for sure, but considering the material they had to jam into 1 movie, I thought they did it quite well. Didn't really like hearing this guy complaining to his wife how they missed this and that and this and that.....

The Crucifixion - saw a trailer on YouTube - checked it out yesterday. Not bad, you could really see how it was influenced by The Exorcist and other exorcism type movies. Wasn't great, wasn't terrible.

little evil - it's written this way on the cover. Funny, kind of corny, has some kind of scary parts too - good a goofy, off the wall fun Halloween type movie.

Gerald's Game - A Netflix movie, and one that was quite good. I have NOT read the book. With a minimal cast of characters, this was one where I didn't know how it would be pulled off, or how good it would be. There were more than a couple scenes where my wife had to look away. Well done Mike Flanagan!

Comment

I knew Gerald's Game was coming up but I didn't realise it was a Netflix movie. I feel a bit uneasy about the idea of watching that.
              When I read the book, the climactic scene was so gruesome, I have never wanted to read it again, and is the first thing I think of when I think if that book. Strange really - I can't think of any other specific incident in an SK (or any other writer's) book that affected me that way.
              But having said all that, I'll be watching it soon, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by HumphreyBear View Post
                I knew Gerald's Game was coming up but I didn't realise it was a Netflix movie. I feel a bit uneasy about the idea of watching that.
                When I read the book, the climactic scene was so gruesome, I have never wanted to read it again, and is the first thing I think of when I think if that book. Strange really - I can't think of any other specific incident in an SK (or any other writer's) book that affected me that way.
                But having said all that, I'll be watching it soon, I guess.
                I read Gerald's Game out loud to my wife. We both really enjoyed the story. After finishing it my mom borrowed the book to read. She could not believe I could read that story out loud to anyone. Wife and I both enjoyed the movie but not as much as the book.

Comment

Anyone else see Justice League? I enjoyed it, though I can understand why critics wouldn't like it. It did suffer from "generic superhero villain" syndrome, but they pretty much all do, unless that villain is named Loki, Magneto, or Hydra. It's unfortunate that it's not making a ton of money as I was looking forward to the other movies they were planning, but who knows how many of those will happen going forward. I'm sure we'll still get Aquaman, because I'm pretty sure that's currently filming or already wrapped filming.
                  CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                  Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                    Anyone else see Justice League? I enjoyed it, though I can understand why critics wouldn't like it. It did suffer from "generic superhero villain" syndrome, but they pretty much all do, unless that villain is named Loki, Magneto, or Hydra. It's unfortunate that it's not making a ton of money as I was looking forward to the other movies they were planning, but who knows how many of those will happen going forward. I'm sure we'll still get Aquaman, because I'm pretty sure that's currently filming or already wrapped filming.
                    These are all pretty much rentals for me these days outside of GOTU.

Comment

I finally checked Justice League out and it fell somewhere in the middle for me. It was better than Batman Vs Superman, but not as good as Wonder Woman. I agree that Steppenwolf wasn't a great villain, but really wasn't horrible either. I think that the movie suffered from the same issues as BvS, which was too much heavy lifting was trying to be done: set up villain, resolve plot threads from BvS, introduce three new characters... it was just too much for the movie to handle well. I liked that they tried to add some lightheartedness to the story, but most just fell flat for me.

The good part was I thought that everyone was well-cast. Affleck as Batman works for me, Gadot as Wonder Woman is perfect, Momoa's Aquaman is SO much better--and more fun--than expected, Ray Fisher as Cyborg is solid, but just not given enough time to establish a lot. The only one that just did not work for me was Ezra Miller as The Flash. I don't know if it was the script or Miller's performance, but it just didn't work for me.

Overall, I think that Justice League works fine as a capstone to the trilogy begun by Man of Steel and BvS. I'm hoping they can course-correct a little more in the future movies, though I'm afraid that Flashpoint--if it still happens--will try to retcon some of the issues from these movies, which would be a mistake. Just move forward and don't look back.

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                        mother!: I'd heard a lot about this movie, both good and bad (but nothing in the middle) and decided I needed to see it before it left the theaters. HOLY SHINOLA!!!! Original, daring, bizarre, creepy, fascinating, frustrating, aggravating, annoying...I could go on and on; just about any adjective could apply. What is it about? I'm still working on that, but simply put it's about art: creation, inspiration, sacrifices made by the artist and the artist's loved ones, the role of the audience, the artist's need for acceptance, and the redemptive power of art. It's a film that doesn't bother to explain anything and it doesn't care whether you "get it" or not. Is it a horror film? Yes and no, it has it's horrific elements, but it's more social satire/psychological thriller dripping with symbolism and allegory than anything else. Still, count me in the crowd that liked the film. The only real critique I have of it would be that I thought Jennifer Lawrence was miscast. She was adequate for most of the film, but when the film descended into the chaos of the final act, she seemed out of her league; an actress of greater range and depth could have sold the action to me better. But she's the director's main squeeze these days, so she's what we get.

4/5
                        I'm right there with you on this. I think we might be a minority of people who liked it. Odd, surreal --all a bit wibbly wobbly timey wimey. Just the amount of work that went into the growing chaos and changing feel of the movie was brilliant.
                        "What shall I say when my lord comes a calling? What shall I say when he knocks on my door? What shall I say when his feet enter softly? Leaving the marks of his grave on my floor."

Comment

I'm not gonna post any spoilers, but I really enjoyed Star Wars: The Last Jedi. It's probably either my 2nd or 3rd favorite of the Star Wars movies.

Instagram

Comment

I'm not gonna post any spoilers, but I really enjoyed Star Wars: The Last Jedi. It's probably either my 2nd or 3rd favorite of the Star Wars movies.
                            I bet your 1st is Empire.

Comment

I rank them 1,2,3. I'll never forget how amazed I was with the opening sequence of the star destroyer that seemed to go on forever. We'd never seen special effects like that before. The whole movie was just fantastic. Plus my wife and I saw it on our honeymoon in a foreign language theater in Munich Germany. There were only 5 people watching the movie besides us. Always a special place in our hearts. Coming up on 40 years of movie going next year LOl!!
                              Last edited by mhatchett; 12-19-2017, 11:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                                I bet your 1st is Empire.
                                You would be correct. 2 and 3 are The Last Jedi and Rouge One. I still can't decide which I like better.

Instagram

Comment

Working...
                                X