Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    Yea not surprising. These movies (despite how bad they are) make a ton of money. Especially over seas. Plus I think I remember seeing that they signed Mark Wahlberg for 3 movies.
    Last I heard, Wahlberg and Bay said this is the last one they're working on. Maybe without Bay it will be something more coherent.

Comment

Originally posted by subie09lega View Post
      Last I heard, Wahlberg and Bay said this is the last one they're working on. Maybe without Bay it will be something more coherent.
      I don't know about Wahlberg, but I think Bay had said that after every one since 3. I know he was only supposed to be a producer on 4 but something changed that (probably money).
      CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
      Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
        I don't know about Wahlberg, but I think Bay had said that after every one since 3. I know he was only supposed to be a producer on 4 but something changed that (probably money).
        Interesting he keeps going back to it after claiming he won't.

Comment

Finally watched A Cure For Wellness last night. Well......it was certainly different, but interesting. The ending was weird, and I am not really sure what it was about after watching it. LOL

Comment

Lake Bodum: I'm not a big slasher fan as I find most of them to formulaic for me and their reliance on "cool kills" to entertain, but I'd heard good things about this little Finnish film and since it was streaming on Shudder, I figured I'd check it out.

Inspired by the unsolved murders of three teenagers out on a camping trip, the movie follows two teen boys, Elias and Atta, who have tricked two girls from their school, Ida and Nora, to join them on a camping excursion to the site of the murders to do some kind of "reenactment" of that night. What that reenactment would be is never explored as things go from bad to worse for our quartet of teens.

As clichéd as the movie begins, it has a few twists and turns in store for the viewer that elevates this above the generic formula. Unfortunately, due to the spare runtime--only 85 minutes--we hardly have enough time to get to know our would-be victims which makes the film's revelations not hit as hard as they could have. To discuss any further would ruin some of the film's fun, so if you're in the mood for a cool little flick and slashers are more your thing, then I'd give it a shot.

Grade: B

Comment

Spent the last couple of days watching movies:

War for the Planet of the Apes: The best of the new Apes films. And it's about war--and so much more. This thing is brutal. Great CGI, great cinematography, terrific writing (paying homage to a myriad of great war films), masterful direction, a magnificent score that show influences of the classic war films of the 60s, 70s and 80s--but is its own...ape. Plus a truly memorable performance by Andy Serkis as the aging leader Caesar. This is the high point of what is THE example of how to reimagine and reboot a franchise. I wish more remakes were of this quality.

5/5

Spiderman: Homecoming: It's cute. That's the best thing I can say. Holland is an excellent Peter Parker/Spiderman, Michael Keaton is terrific as the villain, but Marisa Tomei is ridiculously miscast as Aunt May. The CGI is uneven, with some scenes looking like video game footage. Still, it's better than the two Amazing Spiderman films (which isn't really saying much.) Two game-changing superhero films, Logan and Wonder Woman, have made filler/fodder like Homecoming irrelevant. But the sequel to this film is supposed to start a new story arc in the MCU; maybe that one will have a different tone.

2/5

And finally

Squirm: This 1976 tongue-in-cheek horror pic about a Georgia community besieged by hordes of very hungry worms (regular sized) is pretty silly, but it does have some very good scenes of shock and gore.

It was only rated PG, but it is effective and was enjoyable late night fare. There's a new over-the-air movie channel in Kansas City called COMET that does a pretty good job of finding obscure sci-fi/horror films to show. Plus it shows reuns of Mystery Science Theater 3000 on Sunday nights.

3/5
              Last edited by srboone; 07-14-2017, 10:16 PM.
              "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                Spiderman: Homecoming: It's cute. That's the best thing I can say. Holland is an excellent Peter Parker/Spiderman, Michael Keaton is terrific as the villain, but Marisa Tomei is ridiculously miscast as Aunt May. The CGI is uneven, with some scenes looking like video game footage. Still, it's better than the two Amazing Spiderman films (which isn't really saying much.) Two game-changing superhero films, Logan and Wonder Woman, have made filler/fodder like Homecoming irrelevant. But the sequel to this film is supposed to start a new story arc in the MCU; maybe that one will have a different tone.

2/5
                I couldn't disagree with you more on this one. While I wouldn't put Spider-man on the same level as Logan or Wonder Woman, it's probably one of the most grounded super hero movies we've had in the MCU. The consequences weren't world ending or anything like that. It was refreshing for a Marvel movie. The humor was particularly on point. The plot was good, the acting was good, Tomei was miscast, but she played it well. I honestly saw no problems with the CGI (go back and look at Spider-Man 1 and 2 again and tell me the CGI in this isn't better). They both look like early 2000's CGI, which is to say it hasn't aged well.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think was a perfect movie either. I'd probably only give it a 3 or 3.5. It didn't feel "new". Probably just too many different spider-man movies at this point. But I don't think the problem was with this movie, just with over saturation.
                CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

There's a new over-the-air movie channel in Kansas City called COMET that does a pretty good job of finding obscure sci-fi/horror films to show. Plus it shows reuns of Mystery Science Theater 3000 on Sunday nights.
                  We have COMET here as well, I record/watch movies they broadcast all the time. A month or two ago there was a day COMET or another station like it (maybe MOVIES) broadcast Cujo, Grizzly, Day of the Animals and other animal related movies. Cheesy movies, great time.

Comment

A couple of Stephen King movies in currently in movie house:

The Dark Tower: The biggest problem with this movie is two fold: 1) it tried to condense King's mythology to a few lines here and there and it didn't work and 2) Hollywood decided that Roland Deschain as a character couldn't anchor a film--but it loves a troubled teen. Not horrible, but not very good, either.

2/5

It: Now here's an adaptation of a King book that scores a bullseye on all fronts (unlike another recent King remake that just felt irrelevant); it updates the story, but retains the best elements of King's book. The kids are great, Sophia Lillis gives a star-making performance as Beverly Marsh, Bill Skaarsgard is outstanding as Pennywise and the Apocalyptic Rock Fight is really...apocalyptic. The whole is utterly terrifying, but equally funny and touching. Sure, there are some things that are missing from the source material (like deadlights [briefly glimpsed, never explained], werewolves, slingshots, battery acid inhalers, and Richie Tozier's All-Dead Rock-N-Roll Show), but I couldn't help but be impressed with how several chapters of Mike Hanlon's past were summed up in a great scene outside a meat packing plant. It probably could have used a bit of tightening up here and there (but feeling the need to trim 5 minutes is pretty nitpicky.) I'll rank this up there with Stand By Me and The Shawshank Redemption.

A great horror film; a great Stephen King film.

5/5
                    Last edited by srboone; 09-10-2017, 08:42 AM.
                    "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

High praise indeed. I might actually go to the Movie House for this one!

Comment

A couple of Stephen King movies in currently in movie house:

The Dark Tower: The biggest problem with this movie is two fold: 1) it tried to condense King's mythology to a few lines here and there and it didn't work and 2) Hollywood decided that Roland Deschain as a character couldn't anchor a film--but it loves a troubled teen. Not horrible, but not very good, either.

2/5

It: Now here's an adaptation of a King book that scores a bullseye on all fronts (unlike another recent King remake that just felt irrelevant); it updates the story, but retains the best elements of King's book. The kids are great, Sophia Lillis gives a star-making performance as Beverly Marsh, Bill Skaarsgard is outstanding as Pennywise and the Apocalyptic Rock Fight is really...apocalyptic. The whole is utterly terrifying, equally funny and touching. Sure, there are some things that are missing from the source material (like deadlights, werewolves, slingshots, battery acid inhalers, and Richie Tozier's Dll-Dead Rock-N-Roll Show), but I couldn't help but be impressed with how several chapters of Mike Hanlon's past were summed up in a great scene outside a meat packing plant. It probably could have used a bit of tightening up here and there (but feeling the need to trim 5 minutes is pretty nitpicky.) I'll rank this up there with Stand By Me and The Shawshank Redemption.

A great horror film; a great Stephen King film.

5/5
                        I pretty much agree with both of these reviews. I went to IT with my buddy yesterday afternoon and was very pleased with the results. I'd read some people were disappointed with some of the changes they made but I thought it turned out to be a great adaptation.

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                          High praise indeed. I might actually go to the Movie House for this one!
                          Don't miss it on the big screen (that's what the buzz has been about all these years--getting it on the big screen). I paid $11 to see it and feel like I got my money's worth. I'd pay $11 to see it again.
                          Last edited by srboone; 09-10-2017, 08:56 AM.
                          "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I really want to check IT out but, alas, No one wants to go with me so it would be a solo journey. I asked my wife to go after she watched the trailer and she looked at me like I bumped my ever-lovin' head...

Comment

It's certainly not for the faint-hearted. It took in an impressive haul...

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4323&p=.htm

Comment

mother!: I'd heard a lot about this movie, both good and bad (but nothing in the middle) and decided I needed to see it before it left the theaters. HOLY SHINOLA!!!! Original, daring, bizarre, creepy, fascinating, frustrating, aggravating, annoying...I could go on and on; just about any adjective could apply. What is it about? I'm still working on that, but simply put it's about art: creation, inspiration, sacrifices made by the artist and the artist's loved ones, the role of the audience, the artist's need for acceptance, and the redemptive power of art. It's a film that doesn't bother to explain anything and it doesn't care whether you "get it" or not. Is it a horror film? Yes and no, it has it's horrific elements, but it's more social satire/psychological thriller dripping with symbolism and allegory than anything else. Still, count me in the crowd that liked the film. The only real critique I have of it would be that I thought Jennifer Lawrence was miscast. She was adequate for most of the film, but when the film descended into the chaos of the final act, she seemed out of her league; an actress of greater range and depth could have sold the action to me better. But she's the director's main squeeze these days, so she's what we get.

4/5
                                Last edited by srboone; 09-23-2017, 09:14 AM.
                                "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Working...
                                X