No announcement yet.

Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As long as I watch Ghost Story without considering the book I really like it. The book has so much more depth that it is hard to compare the two. I had the opportunity to ask Mr. Straub once if he thought The Hellfire Club would be made into a movie. He explained that he did not think so due to the complexities in the story and then went on to tell me how much he hated the adaptation of Ghost Story.
    Originally posted by cdfan View Post
    I didn't know until somewhat recently that there was a movie based on Straub's Ghost Story and as luck would have it I was able to catch it for free on cable. It was okay as a movie but there was something off that I can't put my finger on. I do know that there were a few musical choices that bothered me, light hearted almost comical notes that pulled me a bit out of the movie.
    2/5, not bad but I'll stick with the book.

Comment

Having read the book first, the Ghost Story movie was a let down to me, too. Like Martin said, it stands up pretty well on it's own and the casting of the Chowder Society was brilliant.
      "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

The Rapture: Here's a movie that would not be of much interest expcept for two things: 1) It builds up expectation of the coming Rapture (when the true God-fearing people ascend into heaven) and then has it take place! and 2) it contains one of the great screen performances of the 80s. Mimi Rodgers stars as a bored telephone switchboard operator who encounters a group of people experiencing an apocalyptic dream of the coming Rapture and becomes involved with them. When she becomes convinced the Rapture is imminent, she takes her daughter and heads out into the wilderness of California. I'd always liked Rodgers (ever since I saw here in a harmless baseball comedy called Blue Skies Again) and this is her crowning glory as an actress--a full-throttle, four-barrel performance that ranks among the best ever. It also has swinging sex with David Duchovny; a straight-faced cameo by one of the four horsemen of the Apocalypse; a quiet, stunningly beatuiful Rapture sequence; and a shocking act of maternal instinct that left me speechless long after the final fade-to-black. It's not entirely successful, but Rodgers' performance holds it all together.

4/5
        "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Wrath of the Titans: This one is better than the first "Titans" movie. I think. The CGI is better here, anyway. Not that the first one set a very high bar. Full of unrecognizable mythology and an incomprehensible storyline--it was 30 minutes before I realized that the warrior queen joining Perseus on his journey was Andromeda from Titans 1 (played by a different actress); coupled with some really inane dialogue, this actually works as a comedy at times. Still, the Tarturas CGI set piece is pretty good--an underworld prison/labyrinth of shifting boulders and sliding floors and walls. The whole silly mess ends with around 50 too many fireballs and the promise of a sequel when Perseus is an old man. The trio of Gods: Zeus, Hades and Hepheastus (Liam Neeson, Ralph Fiennes, and Bill Nighy) come off best in this outing.

2/5
          Last edited by srboone; 03-30-2012, 02:30 PM.
          "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Titanic 3D

Cameron's masterpiece. However much I love The Abyss and Aliens -and to a certain extent, Avatar, Titanic is my favorite. The final hour is the most gut-wrenching, awe-inspiring sixty minutes -or so- I ever spent in a movie theatre. The 3D is icing on the cake.

*****/*****

Comment

"The Lincoln Laywer". 4.5/5

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                Wrath of the Titans: This one is better than the first "Titans" movie. I think. The CGI is better here, anyway. Not that the first one set a very high bar. Full of unrecognizable mythology and an incomprehensible storyline--it was 30 minutes before I realized that the warrior queen joining Perseus on his journey was Andromeda from Titans 1 (played by a different actress); coupled with some really inane dialogue, this actually works as a comedy at times. Still, the Tarturas CGI set piece is pretty good--an underworld prison/labyrinth of shifting boulders and sliding floors and walls. The whole silly mess ends with around 50 too many fireballs and the promise of a sequel when Perseus is an old man. The trio of Gods: Zeus, Hades and Hepheastus (Liam Neeson, Ralph Fiennes, and Bill Nighy) come off best in this outing.

2/5
                I actually really liked this movie, but then again I don't really need much in the way of plot / quality actors in a good action movie. I can take or leave the re-worked Greek Mythology, although after playing God of War it makes this movie look accurate.... lol.
                CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

I don't mind re-worked mythology, but the story got lost in the exlosions and whinings of the whole thing. But like I said, I did like the Tartutus sequence. And the attack of the Cyclops was exciting. Forgot to mention that.
                  "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I don't mind re-worked mythology, but the story got lost in the exlosions and whinings of the whole thing. But like I said, I did like the Tartutus sequence. And the attack of the Cyclops was exciting. Forgot to mention that.
                    I enjoyed this for what it was, enjoyable, nonsensical fluff - Sam Worthington's Aussie brogue cutting through the (mostly) cultured accents he's mixed with like a chainsaw through butter is just freaking awesome !!!!

Comment

Casa de mi Padre. A Mexican rancher seeks revenge on the drug lord who slaughtered his family. This movie was more intriguing than interesting: Wil Ferrell in a Spanish-language film, filmed in Mexico, with a terrific cast of Mexican acotrs. I'm sure there's a lot more going on than I picked up on and I'm sure someone more familiar with Telemundo than I will be in on a lot the jokes; as it is, it's not horrible, but never engrossing. I liked the continuity errors throughout the film and the bad effects; also, Diego Luna, Gael Garcia Bernal, Genesis Rodriguez, and the late Pedro Armendáriz Jr. (to whom the film is dedicated) are fun to watch. But the lightweight story and the hasitily concocted screenplay don't make for the movie they all had hoped it would be. Still I can't help but think there's something going on here that a more astute viewer will pick up on. Unless you're looking for giggles instead of belly laughs, tho, you probably should stay away from this one.

My initial rating would be 2.5/5, but because I'm sure there's something more that a person of Spanish/Latin heritage would get from this move, Ill give it a

3/5
                      "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Drive 3/5. Nice looking movie however the lack of dialogue made the movie seem very slow. The main character reminded me off someone with aspergers or autism.A little too artsy for me I guess...
                        Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Cabin in the Woods: Five college students off to spend a weekend at a cousin's wilderness cabin: a whore, an athelete, a scholar, a fool, and a virgin. Hmmmm....to reveal anything more would spoil the fun. The movie isn't particularly scary, but it is rather ingenius, funny and very, very gory. Hours will be spent (and pints consumed) on identifying all of the horrorscifi movie references and allusions in this movie. It's a gorehound's and fanboy's dream movie. And for those of you who are neither, it's just plain fun...and strange.

And at the end...a psychotic, knife wielding clown!

4/5
                          Last edited by srboone; 04-13-2012, 12:26 PM.
                          "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

You had me at knife wielding clown Mr Boone, psychotic is just an extra added bonus !!!!

Comment

Cabin in the Woods: Five college students off to spend a weekend at a cousin's wilderness cabin: a whore, an athelete, a scholar, a fool, and a virgin. Hmmmm....to tell anything more would be unfair. The movie isn't particularly scary, but it is rather ingenius, funny and very, very gory. Hours will be spent (and pints consumed) on identifying all of the horror references and allusions in this movie. It's a gorehound's and fanboy's dream movie. And for those of you who are neither, it's just plain fun...and strange.

And at the end...a psychotic, knife wielding clown!

4/5
                              Glad that you rated this well Squire. This is one I've been tempted to see.

Comment

Brian Keene's Ghoul: TV production values sunk this movie, but the important thing is that it got made. And I could tell what BK was going for with his story and his allegory of exposing the monster underneath the surface to the light of day and that it'd be worth checking out. Still the movie wasn't that good. 2/5.
                                "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Working...
                                X