Page 164 of 169 FirstFirst ... 64114154162163164165166 ... LastLast
Results 3,261 to 3,280 of 3371

Thread: Post Your Latest Purchase

Senior Member Hearing Voices Brian861's Avatar
    Cool, Mike!

Senior Member 2nd Electroshock Session Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mhatchett View Post
    Just received the 2nd volume of the projected five book Seabury Quinn, The Complete Tales of Jules De Grandin series, by Night Shade Books. I haven't had a chance to read either book, Horror on the Links and The Devil's Rosary, but the production values look good, the cover art is really nice. My only complaint, and I know this doesn't or won't matter to some people, is that both volumes have the same introduction. I know lots of folks don't read intros, indeed, I read an article once that claimed intros are a waste of time for those that write them and those that take the time to read them. I disagree, but that's another forum entry LOL!! I think highlighting the career of Seabury Quin, WWI Vet and mainstay of Werid Tales for nearly 30 years, is a worthy project for Nightshade and I hope they fulfill the promise of the first two books. The second Volume does have a secondndary intro or maybe an Essay by Stefan Dziemianowicz, "Loved By Thousands of Readers: The Popularity of Jules de Grandin. If you haven't seen these books, I would recommend them.
    Attachment 19986
    Great pickup and I completely agree with you on introductions! I love introductions in books.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    I'm collecting this Quinn series as well, though I haven't yet picked up the second volume that just came out. But I will. :-) I agree with you regarding the production quality of the books...they are truly handsome volumes.

Senior Member Hearing Voices mhatchett's Avatar
    I have the paperbacks that came out in the 70's, but this set is going to be great. Did youever see the Manly Wade Wellman set they did? beautiful!

Oh yes, I have the slipcased, hardcover set they did of Wellman's fiction. A beautiful set.

I did, however, skip the set they did of Hodgson's fiction. I've always kind of regretted that, though.

I passed as well, only so much cash in the wallet LOL!!

Bernard Taylor S/#d (matching) HC set, Centipede Press. John Collier, Tartarus Press HC.

[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Great additions. I have all of those. I have not yet read Killing Ghost and The Dropper really did not work for me. Dreamlike States and Horror Drive-In are fantastic reads!
    I finally got the package in Wednesday's mail. It was sent Media Mail. All of the books are cool. I did my research first and somehow missed seeing the Horror Drive-In chapbook was signed so that was neat to notice that after opening the package. The seller added a novelette-Whisper by Keith Blenman. I definitely got a good deal!

Cap
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    Bernard Taylor S/#d (matching) HC set, Centipede Press. John Collier, Tartarus Press HC.

[/QUOTE]

I've been debating about the Bernard Taylor books. I really should just pull the trigger. I find that with Centipede Press, I wind up passing more than buying and almost always tend to regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post

I've been debating about the Bernard Taylor books. I really should just pull the trigger. I find that with Centipede Press, I wind up passing more than buying and almost always tend to regret it.
    I was unsure about these when they were first announced even though I did want to read them, but when they were offered at $33 each for the set, it was a no-brainer for me. No surprise, as per Centipede's typical output, they're quite nice. That said, they are the "no frills" end of the Centipede spectrum -- that is to say, no interior artwork...just the book proper and illustrated endpapers on the two reprints, featuring the old covers of previous editions in full color (and, of course, the sig/limitation pages). The short-story collection has no such illustrated endpapers. But let's face it, with even minimal bells-and-whistles, they're still more handsome than 95% of what else is being published out there, and at $100 for the set, they're a steal.

I'm very much looking forward to reading them...this'll actually be my first time reading Taylor, as he was one of those authors that I never read back in the day, even though I saw his paperbacks at the used bookstores all the time. If he's half as good as Charles L. Grant, et al make him out to be, these books should be overdue treats.

Senior Member Hearing Voices bugen's Avatar
    this'll actually be my first time reading Taylor
    The Godsend knocked me over. I think you're going to love it.
    “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
    -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Jonathan Carroll's The Crows Dinner came in today, read a few pieces already, Jack's Last Christmas Tree, Saved by the Invisibles, The Beauty of Long Conversations, I think I'm going to really like the book, great writing in short, powerful bursts. Makes you think.
    IMG_0799.jpg

Senior Member Inmate TacomaDiver's Avatar
    Like Ron, I couldn't pass the set up for $99. Admittedly, I don't know who Bernard Taylor is, but CP does such a good job, and the price was beyond right. The books sounded interesting (a few recent-ish CP releases have sounded interesting so I've picked them up.)

I've been debating about the Bernard Taylor books. I really should just pull the trigger. I find that with Centipede Press, I wind up passing more than buying and almost always tend to regret it.[/QUOTE]

Senior Member 2nd Electroshock Session Martin's Avatar
    My latest purchase is the magazine Birth, Movies, Death put out by Mondotees.com. The current issue is all Stephen King movies. I can't recommend this publication enough. I will get some pictures posted this weekend.

https://mondotees.com/collections/bi...ephen-king-bmd
    Last edited by Martin; 09-15-2017 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mhatchett View Post
    Jonathan Carroll's The Crows Dinner came in today, read a few pieces already, Jack's Last Christmas Tree, Saved by the Invisibles, The Beauty of Long Conversations, I think I'm going to really like the book, great writing in short, powerful bursts. Makes you think.
    IMG_0799.jpg
    I've been giving this one some serious thought...you might have pushed me over the edge.

It's a good book, reasonably priced, I don't think you'll be disappointed. After reading Land of Laughs and now, some of this, I hope someone reprints his other titles.

" I’m really enjoying Jonathan Carroll’s, The Crow’s Dinner. A few months ago, I read Carroll’s Land of Laughs and it was fantastic. Carroll often writes what’s called magical realism, so right up my alley. However, Crow’s Dinner is just, I don’t know, magical. It’s a collection of autobiographical snippets about Carroll and his observations on life. Some entries are only a paragraph long, so far, nothing longer than a couple pages. And it’s a meandering book, one I can pick up and read wherever I want, table of contents be damned LOL. It’s a book full of hors devours that are so good, that you forget about the entrée!!"
    Last edited by mhatchett; 09-17-2017 at 01:34 AM.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Quote Originally Posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    Like Ron, I couldn't pass the set up for $99. Admittedly, I don't know who Bernard Taylor is, but CP does such a good job, and the price was beyond right. The books sounded interesting (a few recent-ish CP releases have sounded interesting so I've picked them up.)

[/QUOTE]

God, I should just pull the trigger...

Senior Member Inmate TacomaDiver's Avatar
    Do it.

God, I should just pull the trigger...[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Just received my Bernard Taylor set. Looking forward to reading them, but noticed that even the mighty Centipede Press that everyone seems to drool over (rightly so) can screw up - or maybe their printer. According to the shrink-wrapping, my set is #233. Oh, but not so. My copy of Sweetheart, Sweetheart within the shrink-wrap is actually #239. I mention this only if you are supposed to be the proud owner of the #239 set and find that is not so. I will happily trade copies with you if that is the case so your set can be reunited.

Hi,
    Did you contact Jerad? He will usually make arrangements to get the books to the proper owner in these rare cases. I know he had sent an email out about this issue.