Page 177 of 177 FirstFirst ... 77127167175176177
Results 3,521 to 3,540 of 3540

Thread: Post Your Latest Purchase

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    OK. I bought the CD trade edition of THE MAILMAN on January 3rd and when it arrived I moved it near the top of my TBR pile and then I read it. And I read it all. And I finished it yesterday. And I really really really did not like it. In fact, the more I reflect on it the more I hate it.

I read it with an open mind. I pushed through even though I wasn't enjoying it. It kind of had an upswing somewhere toward the end, but that crashed. I really did hope that the book would win me over. I want to like Little. So many people seem to enjoy him and get what he''s doing and I hate missing out on the fun. I hate being the stick in the mud. But this. I just couldn't do it.

So I think I can close a chapter on my life regarding Little. I wanted to. I tried. I can't.
    Wow, sorry to hear of your experience and reaction, Jeff, especially given that I was one of those touting him and this work, in particular, as representative of his style. But the silver lining, I suppose, is that you arguably gave him the best shot possible w/ THE MAILMAN, so you don't need to give away any more $$ and time in trying to determine conclusively if he's for you (since I would have suggested THE STORE or one or two others if you were lukewarm)...sounds like that decision has been made.

I'd ask what you found so disagreeable, but in the end it's all moot...you didn't like him, you move on, plenty of other fish in the biblio-sea. There are authors that others swear by but whose appeal totally escapes me...so I get it.

I think you're wrong, but I get it.

Senior Member Inmate
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    Wow, sorry to hear of your experience and reaction, Jeff, especially given that I was one of those touting him and this work, in particular, as representative of his style. But the silver lining, I suppose, is that you arguably gave him the best shot possible w/ THE MAILMAN, so you don't need to give away any more $$ and time in trying to determine conclusively if he's for you (since I would have suggested THE STORE or one or two others if you were lukewarm)...sounds like that decision has been made.

I'd ask what you found so disagreeable, but in the end it's all moot...you didn't like him, you move on, plenty of other fish in the biblio-sea. There are authors that others swear by but whose appeal totally escapes me...so I get it.

I think you're wrong, but I get it.
    Yeah, reading a book is such a deeply personal experience and there's no accounting for the chemistry between author and reader. It's either there or it isn't. I really wanted to like him because I liked how people described Little's writing. Based on those descriptions (way out there, darkly humorous, scary, creepy, original) I should have loved it.

Maybe after I chew through some of the titles on my TBR list I'll give him another shot. I know I'm getting a couple of his short stories in Turn Down the Lights and Shivers 8. Who knows?

If you want to know my unfiltered thoughts on The Mailman, I posted a review on Goodreads. It's kinda over the top. I didn't want to be as vocal here, because people can take it personally when you don't like their recommendations. And I don't want anyone here who likes Little to feel insulted. It's all good. I actually feel good that I read the book and gave it an honest shot. I plan on keeping the book, too.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post

If you want to know my unfiltered thoughts on The Mailman, I posted a review on Goodreads. It's kinda over the top. I didn't want to be as vocal here, because people can take it personally when you don't like their recommendations. And I don't want anyone here who likes Little to feel insulted. It's all good. I actually feel good that I read the book and gave it an honest shot. I plan on keeping the book, too.
    I'm about as thick-skinned as it comes to getting offended on matters like that...it's unfortunate you didn't like Little and the work in question, but I don't at all see it as a reflection of me or my tastes...tastes vary, and, quite honestly, your like or dislike of something doesn't have any impact at all on my like or dislikes (e.g. Malerman's GOBLIN). So I'd be curious to read your view just on an objective level and get an opposing perspective. I hear some people say they don't like Little, but I've never really read a clear reason why, so I remain a bit puzzled (though, again, largely uncaring as it relates to my own preferences) as to what the issues are. I looked up THE MAILMAN on GoodReads, but I don't see your name, so maybe you can provide a link...?

Senior Member Totally Insane Martin's Avatar
    I'm about as thick-skinned as it comes to getting offended on matters like that...it's unfortunate you didn't like Little and the work in question, but I don't at all see it as a reflection of me or my tastes...tastes vary, and, quite honestly, your like or dislike of something doesn't have any impact at all on my like or dislikes (e.g. Malerman's GOBLIN). So I'd be curious to read your view just on an objective level and get an opposing perspective. I hear some people say they don't like Little, but I've never really read a clear reason why, so I remain a bit puzzled (though, again, largely uncaring as it relates to my own preferences) as to what the issues are. I looked up THE MAILMAN on GoodReads, but I don't see your name, so maybe you can provide a link...?
    Ron,
    You should be able to read Jeff's review here:

https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/70716397-jeff-terry

Jeff,
    I concur with Ron with regards to being offended. I liked it you, did not. I read your review and take no offense in anything you wrote, with the possible exception where you said 'I'm sure you are a wonderful person in every way'. You see I am a very flawed person, like we all are!

Senior Member Inmate

My review is overly dramatic. I wrote it in breathless fury. It's more incendiary than it needs to be. I was actually going for funny.

essentially, what I didn't like about the book:
    1. I thought the main characters were hollow, one dimensional. For me, they were also unlikable. I actually was hoping that some combo of them would die.
    2. The suspension of disbelief was quite extreme. I know that Little tried to cover off on why nobody is doing anything about the Mailman, but he didn't do it convincingly.
    3. Like in The CIRCLE, the big baddie is revealed at the end to be completely harmless.
    4. there's essentially no change from the first page to the last as far as character development
    5. Little does more telling than showing
    6. he's obsessed with tedious details
    7. he's not a storyteller as much as he's an "event describer"
    8. I think those last three points are all kinda saying the same thing
    9. I guess, in short, there was nothing that Little put in there that actually got me invested in the story. I understood it and I get what he was going for. I just didn't care.

I think all of this gets to chemistry. While there were few things that were "technically" wrong with the book, I just couldn't line up behind Little and live in his version of Willis AZ.

This is a much more adult version of what I posted on Goodreads

Senior Member Inmate
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Ron,
    You should be able to read Jeff's review here:

https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/70716397-jeff-terry

Jeff,
    I concur with Ron with regards to being offended. I liked it you, did not. I read your review and take no offense in anything you wrote, with the possible exception where you said 'I'm sure you are a wonderful person in every way'. You see I am a very flawed person, like we all are!
    HAHAHAH OR you could read my review on Goodreads.

Thanks, Martin. Ok, yes, that was "unfiltered," Jeff, and there is certainly something to be said about that required suspension of disbelief in much of Little's work. It's a shame you didn't enjoy it, but I give you bonus points for sticking with it to the end to make a fair, informed judgment on it.

If you're ever feeling particularly masochistic, I'd recommend the THE STORE (for similar but heightened themes if you found THE MAILMAN too quite or pointless) or THE IGNORED (for something very different than either THE MAILMAN or THE STORE and perhaps more to your liking).

That said, you're probably best chalking it up to a failed Love Connection to Little and move on. You're like Miss 86% who says to host Chuck Woolery, "Thanks, but no thanks."

Senior Member Inmate
    Thanks, Martin. Ok, yes, that was "unfiltered," Jeff, and there is certainly something to be said about that required suspension of disbelief in much of Little's work. It's a shame you didn't enjoy it, but I give you bonus points for sticking with it to the end to make a fair, informed judgment on it.

If you're ever feeling particularly masochistic, I'd recommend the THE STORE (for similar but heightened themes if you found THE MAILMAN too quite or pointless) or THE IGNORED (for something very different than either THE MAILMAN or THE STORE and perhaps more to your liking).

That said, you're probably best chalking it up to a failed Love Connection to Little and move on. You're like Miss 86% who says to host Chuck Woolery, "Thanks, but no thanks."

This is spectacular. I now know what I'll use for my profile pic. And I can't see how that guy wouldn't make a love connection every time. Be back in 2 minutes and 2 seconds!

[after 02:02]

And we're back. If I ever do try Little again, I'll try THE STORE. That's the other one that's been recommended to me a few times. But that's a big IF. I do hate giving up and with such loyal fans, it just might be possible for me to go on another date with Bentley.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication TacomaDiver's Avatar
    I’ll spare you all the amount of my travels yesterday, but I eventually found myself in Everett of all places. We first went to the Funko store to experience that craziness. And then we went to this amazing toy store called BobaKahn (it too me a while to figure out the name ...)

It was like walking into my childhood toy box - they had everything I used to have - and it was all for sale! Fortunately I didn’t buy anything (that Snake Eyes with wolf was VERY tempting!)

As I was waiting for the GF to pay for her two MLP figures (the reason we went actually) I was looking through some prints they had from a local artist and picked this up:

540FC6FA-F001-4DDB-860C-C131DD468FA1.jpg
    (Apologies if this comes out giant - posting from my iPad and sometimes this doesn’t work as designed ...)

Since I share an office, I have walls I’m allowed to decorate, and this will soon be joining all of the other prints I’m in the process of hanging up.
    Last edited by TacomaDiver; 02-18-2018 at 05:12 PM.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Brian861's Avatar
    That's pretty cool, Jason!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    That's pretty cool, Jason!
    Thanks man!

Senior Member Totally Insane Martin's Avatar
    That is a fantastic print. Congratulations!

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    I love that print. It would look good on the wall of my office!

Thank you! I thought it was great - especially since it's not bloody or disgusting and no one should complain about it at work (if they, I'll complain about their professional american football crap everywhere . . .)

Quote Originally Posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    Thank you! I thought it was great - especially since it's not bloody or disgusting and no one should complain about it at work (if they, I'll complain about their professional american football crap everywhere . . .)
    I like it so much I went looking for it and found it. Unfortunately, postage to Australia is about $70 so I'll hold off for now...

Quote Originally Posted by HumphreyBear View Post
    I like it so much I went looking for it and found it. Unfortunately, postage to Australia is about $70 so I'll hold off for now...
    $70???? I wonder if I could ship it cheaper than that ... because that seems a tad excessive.

Quote Originally Posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    $70???? I wonder if I could ship it cheaper than that ... because that seems a tad excessive.
    International shipping has gotten outrageous. I shipped a copy of The Shining (CD Doubleday Years) to the UK and the cheapest option was just over $60.

Administrator Totally Insane Dan Hocker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slayn666 View Post
    International shipping has gotten outrageous. I shipped a copy of The Shining (CD Doubleday Years) to the UK and the cheapest option was just over $60.
    Yea The Shining would have had to go Priority Mail. Depending how big the print is though you should be able to ship it in a tube for maybe $30 give or take, if you ship it First Class package rates.
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com
    Ebook Email: danhocker@dhdigitaleditions.com
    eBook Website: www.dhdigitaleditions.com

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Twitter - Facebook - Twitch.tv

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    Yea The Shining would have had to go Priority Mail. Depending how big the print is though you should be able to ship it in a tube for maybe $30 give or take, if you ship it First Class package rates.
    International mail from the US is expensive. It's just something we have to live with. It certainly affects my buying choices - in many cases, the postage is more than the goods. Not much we can do about it.

In this case, there was only one option for postage on the website. I will look elsewhere...
    Last edited by HumphreyBear; 02-20-2018 at 09:57 PM. Reason: finished prematurely

Administrator Totally Insane Dan Hocker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HumphreyBear View Post
    International mail from the US is expensive. It's just something we have to live with. It certainly affects my buying choices - in many cases, the postage is more than the goods. Not much we can do about it.

In this case, there was only one option for postage on the website. I will look elsewhere...
    Yea it's pretty absurd. I think I said this in another thread, but we've found instances where it's cheaper to ship something to Canada from the UK than it is from the US. Which makes no sense at all.
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com
    Ebook Email: danhocker@dhdigitaleditions.com
    eBook Website: www.dhdigitaleditions.com

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Twitter - Facebook - Twitch.tv