No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Started reading my newest Goodreads win that I recently got in the mail, The Waiting by Joe Hart
    WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
    Spoiler!

Comment

With this big snow storm and super cold couple days ahead, makes me want to put Sycamore Row on hold and start The Terror......

Comment

Originally posted by Highbury View Post
        I started Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman yesterday.
        My favorite read of 2013.

Comment

Finished The Rising by Keene. Really enjoyed it. I've read a few others by him, but The Rising beats all of them. Now, onto The Night Boat, by McCammon.

Comment

Falling Angel by William Hjortsberg: I've seen the movie adaptation a few times, so I new the basic plot beats going into this, but the book definitely blows the movie out of the water. Definitely more grotesque and gory than I had anticipated, this kept me turning the pages and waiting for the final pieces of the puzzle to fall into place. I definitely liked that the book kept the setting in New York unlike the movie and the characterization of Epiphany is so much better than in the movie. Fantastic book that I wished I owned in the Centipede Press edition.

Tales of Sin and Madness by Brett McBean: This collection of short stories was a little uneven in execution which was to be expected since this is a lot of his earlier tales. A few stories were knocked out of the park (particularly "A Beautiful Place" and "Hearing the Ocean in a Seashell") and the others had their moments. I wouldn't say that this collection has made me a dedicated McBean fan, but I am interested in trying more of his work in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
              Falling Angel by William Hjortsberg: I've seen the movie adaptation a few times, so I new the basic plot beats going into this, but the book definitely blows the movie out of the water. Definitely more grotesque and gory than I had anticipated, this kept me turning the pages and waiting for the final pieces of the puzzle to fall into place. I definitely liked that the book kept the setting in New York unlike the movie and the characterization of Epiphany is so much better than in the movie. Fantastic book that I wished I owned in the Centipede Press edition.
              I've never read Falling Angel, so I just downloaded the ebook. I'd like to have the CP edition too, but it'll have to wait.

Comment

So...fittingly I did finish Sycamore Row, and have now jumped into The Terror by Dan Simmons - really liking it so far. Simmons is becoming an author I really really enjoy.

Comment

Just finished Deadfall Hotel Steve Rasnic Tem. I really enjoyed it. A sad, scary, hopeful story. It sort of reminds of a Bradbury story. Beautiful book, excellent illustrations. I would recommend it. Just started Night Film.
                  MDH

Comment

I finally finished Double Feature over the weekend. Took me forever to get through it as I didn't enjoy it so it was drudgery to get through. The thing that I've noticed with the King Kids' books I've read (Heart-shaped Box, NOS4A2, DF) is that I don't really care about the characters. The one character I liked in DF was dead (don't worry, that isn't a spoiler).
                    On to greener pastures. I've started The Green Mile which I've already one-third completed and also started Great Expectations.

Comment

Originally posted by subie09lega View Post
                      I finally finished Double Feature over the weekend. Took me forever to get through it as I didn't enjoy it so it was drudgery to get through. The thing that I've noticed with the King Kids' books I've read (Heart-shaped Box, NOS4A2, DF) is that I don't really care about the characters. The one character I liked in DF was dead (don't worry, that isn't a spoiler).
                      On to greener pastures. I've started The Green Mile which I've already one-third completed and also started Great Expectations.
                      Yeah, I have read very mixed reviews about Owen King's Double Feature. You will definitely enjoy The Green Mile and Great Expectations though, as they are both truly awesome books!
                      "I watched Titanic when I got back home from the hospital, and cried. I knew that my IQ had been damaged."
                      - Stephen King

Comment

I'm currently splitting my time between Ben Aaronovitch's Broken Homes and Allyson Bird's Bull Running for Girls.

Comment

David Copperfield is officially off my TBR list. On to The Count of Monte Cristo.
                          "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                            David Copperfield is officially off my TBR list. On to The Count of Monte Cristo.
                            Great. Hope you liked it. That is on my re-read list. I have never read The Count of Monte Cristo. Let us know what you think. ....as if I have to ask.

Comment

I read The Count of Monte Cristo many years ago and really enjoyed it.
                              Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                              Great. Hope you liked it. That is on my re-read list. I have never read The Count of Monte Cristo. Let us know what you think. ....as if I have to ask.

Comment

The introduction to TCoNC says that most people read it in their teens. I'm only 30 years late!
                                "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Working...
                                X