No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool. I think I will search that out as I have never read it.

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
      The Jeremy Irons/Adrian Lyne version is outstanding--terrific translation of the book to film. The thing about Kubrick's version is that he strips everything down to what he feels is it's bare essense--he did it with The Shining, he did it with Barry Lyndon, and Paths of Glory--and what he found at the core of Lolita was a comedy of errors. Nothing can take the place of Nabaokov's book, though.
      I will have to check out the Jeremy Irons version, then, yeah Kubrick's is a bit dry and relies too heavily on a minor character played by Peter Sellers, but I heard in a documentary that because it was such a "hot" book at the time that Kubrick was greatly limited to what he could show on screen and actually said that if he knew the amount of censoring and trouble it was going to cause, he would not have made it in the first place

Comment

Originally posted by theenormityofitall View Post
        Did you guys read A Clockwork Orange? If so, what did you think of it?
        I read ACO a few years back and it was the 21 Chapter version which feels more complete and morally satisfying than the 20 Chapter version, the author Anthony Burgess is a huge fan of James Joyce, having written a companion book to Finnegans Wake, he is also a language expert and it seems as if he created an entirely new language when writing ACO, it's part Russian slang, part mutated English and part just plain craziness, but it is a lot of fun to read if you just go with it and don't get caught up in trying to know every single word
        Last edited by Tommy; 02-06-2013, 12:52 PM.

Comment

The first time I read it, it had only 20 chapters in it and it ended where Kubrick ended his film--with Alex being returned to his former self. Then years later, I read it again and discovered the book actually had 21 chapter. 3 parts of 7 chapters each, like a trinity that was now complete--and I liked it much better; it seemed a complete cycle, almost a passion play with Alex as Everyman.
          The 20 Chapter version was the first American Printing and there are multiple reasons given for why the 21st chapter was excised but the British edition, and now the American version, are the ones with 21 chapters, Kubrick's version is of the 20-chapter variant and that may be why it was so damn controversial in England, eventually he pulled it from the movie theaters there because of all the violent incidents reportedly inspired by the movie was disturbing him, his film does feel a bit irresponsible but also dangerous and unapologetic

Comment

Thanks for your kind words in your review, Squire. It is greatly appreciated.
            Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy View Post
              I've read American Gods, how is AB compared to that?
              I like it so far. I've read so-so reviews on it, so I wasn't expecting it to be as good as American Gods. But, it's not as bad as some of the reviews I've read. Although, I'm only about 1/2 way through...

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy View Post
                I read ACO a few years back and it was the 21 Chapter version which feels more complete and morally satisfying than the 20 Chapter version, the author Anthony Burgess is a huge fan of James Joyce, having written a companion book to Finnegans Wake, he is also a language expert and it seems as if he created an entirely new language when writing ACO, it's part Russian slang, part mutated English and part just plain craziness, but it is a lot of fun to read if you just go with it and don't get caught up in trying to know every single word
                Thanks, you too squire.....you guys are much more well-rounded than I am when it concerns novels as I'm into mainly non-fiction, but I've never read the book and wanted to know what people thought of it. I am thinking about reading it as I've never seen the film either. I think the film is considered a "minor" masterpiece so I don't know if the book is better or not. It's like King's Misery....I thought the book was much better. One of King's top 3 or 5 books IMO.

Comment

I recently started Stephen King's Under the Dome. I've heard it's not his best, to put it kindly, but I thought I'd go through it anyway. I made it through Dreamcatcher, so I can make it through this, right? It's a little embarrassing to say out loud that I'm reading it because I heard there's a very small shout-out to It in it.

Comment

I think you will find a large variety of opinions on Under the Dome. I would put Under the Dome and Dreamcatcher in the same category as some of my least favorite King Novels.
                    Originally posted by Marloo View Post
                    I recently started Stephen King's Under the Dome. I've heard it's not his best, to put it kindly, but I thought I'd go through it anyway. I made it through Dreamcatcher, so I can make it through this, right? It's a little embarrassing to say out loud that I'm reading it because I heard there's a very small shout-out to It in it.

Comment

And I would put Under the Dome in the top 25 of king Novels and Dreamcatcher in the bottom 10.
                      Last edited by srboone; 02-07-2013, 05:44 AM.
                      "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

And I would put Under the Dome in the top 25 of king Novels and Dreamcatcher in the bottom 10.
                        Agreed

Comment

I agree too but also Gerald's Game, Desperation and Insomnia were pretty bad, at least in my opinion. The only good ones I've read in 10 years has been Just After Sunset and Cell. There has to be another I just can't think of the title right now

Comment

Insomnia is one where I have read the basis of it, and it sounds like a great story, but it's not a priority. Duma Key looks like a great read too, again though.... I don't own either.

My next King will probably be Salem's Lot, but not sure when I will get to it.

I am concentrating on reading new authors, and so far it's been great for me.

Comment

I too am looking at different authors rather than King. As I said elsewhere, I'm reading some of Garton's and more Laymon books. I also read some of the Koontz 2000's novels which I liked a lot. Duma Key once again, would be a hard read for me since it's so damn long. Can't King write a short novel for once??

Comment

I really enjoyed Gerald's Game and would put Insomnia in my top five King novels. Desperation is down there with Under the Dome for me.
                                Originally posted by theenormityofitall View Post
                                I agree too but also Gerald's Game, Desperation and Insomnia were pretty bad, at least in my opinion. The only good ones I've read in 10 years has been Just After Sunset and Cell. There has to be another I just can't think of the title right now

Comment

Working...
                                X