What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    I think I've said it before, I was excited about the premise of AG but it didn't work for me.

Norse Mythology was another one that didn't work very well for me - had a really hard time reading it and I think it was because of the language, because I heard Neil read one of the stories aloud at an event, and I LOVED it. I think he needs to record the audio version (he's a great audio story teller.)

Give Ocean at the End of the Lane a try - it's a short read and is pretty much perfect.
    I thought he did the narration for Norse Mythology.
    CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

I think I've said it before, I was excited about the premise of AG but it didn't work for me.

Norse Mythology was another one that didn't work very well for me - had a really hard time reading it and I think it was because of the language, because I heard Neil read one of the stories aloud at an event, and I LOVED it. I think he needs to record the audio version (he's a great audio story teller.)

Give Ocean at the End of the Lane a try - it's a short read and is pretty much perfect.
      I listened to Ocean at the End of the Lane and while i enjoyed it, I did not love it. Something about Gaiman's story telling does not work for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
        I thought he did the narration for Norse Mythology.
        If he did then sign me up for it! I don't pay much attention to audio books so I don't keep up on them. He did the reading for Coraline back in the day, plus a few random collections from Dreamhaven, those I do know of.

ETA: looks like he did - hold placed at the library!
        Last edited by TacomaDiver; 04-19-2018, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
          I listened to Ocean at the End of the Lane and while i enjoyed it, I did not love it. Something about Gaiman's story telling does not work for me.
          Stop fighting me Martin!

Comment

Stop fighting me Martin!
            I retract my opinion.

Comment

I started Norse Mythology some time ago and gave it up pretty quickly. Not a big fan of Gaiman's writing. But I did enjoy Ocean at the End of the Lane back in the day.

I finished listening to McCammon's The Wolf's Hour read by Simon Prebble. I am really loving McCammon's works as I make my way through them, and this one might be his best. Made me go and splurge on a S/L of Subterranean's Hunter From The Woods.

I read Widow's Point by The Chizmars which was a cracking short read. I read a kindle version but received a signed copy in my CD grab bag yesterday, so that was nice.

I also recently finished Picking The Bones by Brian Hodge. Not bad - like most anthologies, some stories were better than others. Some strange ideas in there.

I then read a quickie novella - The Martian Obelisk by Linda Nagata. An easy read - pessimistic future vision but full of heart. One of a few Kindle cheapies I grabbed on sale a few weeks ago.

I have started listening to Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan after seeing that Netflix has made it into a series. I haven't watched the series but am enjoying the book so far.

Think I'll start on Hugh Howey's Wool next. Or maybe some more McCammon.
              Last edited by HumphreyBear; 04-20-2018, 12:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
                I finished The Very Best Of Dick Tracy: Bullets, Battles & Bad Guys by Chester Gould. I also read Dr. Jekyll & Mr Hyde and Other Stories by R. L. Stevenson (The other stories were Will O’ the Mill and Franchard) and Dick Tracy: The Collins Casefiles Volume 2 by Max Allan Collins and Rick Fletcher. Now I'm starting The Green Man-Tales from the Mythic Forest edited by Ellen Datlow & Terri Windling.

Cap
                A solid reading list. I'd like to read more Dick Tracy sometime in the future, both Collins and Gould.

Comment

Started a book by a small-press (actually, micro-press is probably more accurate) that from the first paragraph I knew was going to be painful to read...labored, awkward, unnatural prose, stiff dialogue, the whole ball of wax...reads like something from the first day of community-college creative writing class. I made it two chapters in and threw in the towel. Life's too short and my TBR pile too large to spend time reading crap like this. After getting burned too many times, I now typically stay away from self-published works and those by unknown small-press authors -- especially those published in editions of under 100, as in the case of this S/L HC -- but this one sounded interesting enough that I gambled...and lost. Live and learn. At least I got it for a steal so I'm not out much $$.
                  Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Stephen R. Donaldson, who is one of my top three, if not my actual favorite author, had a great line, "Life is too short for bad books."

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                      Started a book by a small-press (actually, micro-press is probably more accurate) that from the first paragraph I knew was going to be painful to read...labored, awkward, unnatural prose, stiff dialogue, the whole ball of wax...reads like something from the first day of community-college creative writing class. I made it two chapters in and threw in the towel. Life's too short and my TBR pile too large to spend time reading crap like this. After getting burned too many times, I now typically stay away from self-published works and those by unknown small-press authors -- especially those published in editions of under 100, as in the case of this S/L HC -- but this one sounded interesting enough that I gambled...and lost. Live and learn. At least I got it for a steal so I'm not out much $$.
                      I need to know who this is. I'll probably think it's the greatest book ever written!

Comment

^Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                          I need to know who this is. I'll probably think it's the greatest book ever written!

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                            Hahaha -- thanks for that laugh, nice way to end a week.

I think even you, Jeff, would find this one a tough slog.
                            Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I usually give a book 100 pages, after that. But I have come back around and given a few books 2nd chances and it's worked out. I think I plan on living a lot longer than some of Y'all LOL!!

Comment

Just finished Mark Lawrence's Grey Sister, book 2 in the Ancestor series. I've enjoyed everyone of his books.

Comment

Working...
                                X