No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really want to check out Bird Box one of these days.

I am working my way through All Heads Turn When the Hunt Goes By.

Comment

I'm currently reading Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. Quite the brick, but not unrewarding.

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
        Really want to check out Bird Box one of these days.

I am working my way through All Heads Turn When the Hunt Goes By.
        I got the CP edition of All Heads Turn but haven't read it yet. Post your thoughts when you finish. It's a beautiful production.

Comment

Originally posted by subie09lega View Post
          I got the CP edition of All Heads Turn but haven't read it yet. Post your thoughts when you finish. It's a beautiful production.
          I'm almost half way done. Beginning is crazy (in a good way)!

Comment

Just finished Goblin. Here is the review I posted to YouTube. It's a surprisingly low-energy review for a book I thought was fantastic. Try not to fall asleep. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PHPjbIeU0Q&t=1s

Comment

I finished Carny Kill and I'm now reading Ace Double 78400 The Star Virus by Barrington J Bayley and Mask of Chaos by John Jakes.

Cap
              Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                Just finished Goblin. Here is the review I posted to YouTube. It's a surprisingly low-energy review for a book I thought was fantastic. Try not to fall asleep. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PHPjbIeU0Q&t=1s
                Thanks for the review! I'm definitely looking forward to this one. I liked all the books you referenced, except I haven't read Hex yet, though maybe someday...

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                  Thanks for the review! I'm definitely looking forward to this one. I liked all the books you referenced, except I haven't read Hex yet, though maybe someday...
                  I grabbed this right when it came out - Pretty good story, lots of creepiness. Although I think the original Dutch setting/storyline would have made it even more so.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                    I liked it. But I do joke that the book is simply Pet Sematary with a witch. For sure there is more to it than that--including a pretty original framing concept. It begins creepy and it's a fun read. I do wonder if the original ending was better.

Comment

I have two copies of Haven - one is the US edition, and the other I got from PS a while back - not sure which edition it is - are the endings different? I should probably see which editions I have otherwise I sound like I'm just winging this - which I kind of am.

I liked it. But I do joke that the book is simply Pet Sematary with a witch. For sure there is more to it than that--including a pretty original framing concept. It begins creepy and it's a fun read. I do wonder if the original ending was better.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                        I have two copies of Haven - one is the US edition, and the other I got from PS a while back - not sure which edition it is - are the endings different? I should probably see which editions I have otherwise I sound like I'm just winging this - which I kind of am.
                        You meant Hex, right? Hex in any language is better than Haven!

I bought my edition of Hex from PS. It's the UK edition signed. I think the US edition is the same. Any edition that's in English is the same, I believe. It's the original in Dutch that has a different ending. I think Thomas Olde Heuvelt mentions it in the afterword. Or maybe in an article Read online. I don't know. But he changed the ending for the English translation and he felt it improved the book. But from what he described, I don't think it did. The ending felt somewhat disjointed.

Comment

Just started this one, pretty good so far.
                          Age of Assassians.jpg

Comment

Hex - Haven - in obviously confused.

Yeah, I meant Hex. I bought Haven from CD - it's not good?

You meant Hex, right? Hex in any language is better than Haven!

I bought my edition of Hex from PS. It's the UK edition signed. I think the US edition is the same. Any edition that's in English is the same, I believe. It's the original in Dutch that has a different ending. I think Thomas Olde Heuvelt mentions it in the afterword. Or maybe in an article Read online. I don't know. But he changed the ending for the English translation and he felt it improved the book. But from what he described, I don't think it did. The ending felt somewhat disjointed.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                              Hex - Haven - in obviously confused.

Yeah, I meant Hex. I bought Haven from CD - it's not good?
                              I bought Haven from CD as well and I was so excited to read it but I just couldn't finish it. After the fifth encounter with the local bully I just closed the book and walked away. I wanted to like it but now I just hope I can sell it for something more than I paid for it someday. For what it's worth, it won an award. Maybe you'll like it. For me, it was an absolute dud.

Comment

Originally posted by subie09lega View Post
                                Well, finished it this weekend. The start, and the end are quite hectic in a good way. I found the middle part had a lot of boring parts, at least for me. Overall though, I enjoyed it. It wasn't an overwhelmingly long book by any means, and it kept my interest throughout. I felt it stayed true to the period where the story was taking place. I wouldn't put it on my own personal "Best of" lists, but it was good.

Now, back to my Kobo for some dark, space sci-fi. Richard Paul Russo's Ship Of Fools, which came highly recommended on many places I've checked out.

Comment

Working...
                                X