Page 178 of 181 FirstFirst ... 78128168176177178179180 ... LastLast
Results 3,541 to 3,560 of 3619

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session TJCams's Avatar
    Really want to check out Bird Box one of these days.

I am working my way through All Heads Turn When the Hunt Goes By.

Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Theli's Avatar
    I'm currently reading Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. Quite the brick, but not unrewarding.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication subie09lega's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TJCams View Post
    Really want to check out Bird Box one of these days.

I am working my way through All Heads Turn When the Hunt Goes By.
    I got the CP edition of All Heads Turn but haven't read it yet. Post your thoughts when you finish. It's a beautiful production.

Quote Originally Posted by subie09lega View Post
    I got the CP edition of All Heads Turn but haven't read it yet. Post your thoughts when you finish. It's a beautiful production.
    I'm almost half way done. Beginning is crazy (in a good way)!

Senior Member Inmate
    Just finished Goblin. Here is the review I posted to YouTube. It's a surprisingly low-energy review for a book I thought was fantastic. Try not to fall asleep. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PHPjbIeU0Q&t=1s

I finished Carny Kill and I'm now reading Ace Double 78400 The Star Virus by Barrington J Bayley and Mask of Chaos by John Jakes.

Cap
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    Just finished Goblin. Here is the review I posted to YouTube. It's a surprisingly low-energy review for a book I thought was fantastic. Try not to fall asleep. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PHPjbIeU0Q&t=1s
    Thanks for the review! I'm definitely looking forward to this one. I liked all the books you referenced, except I haven't read Hex yet, though maybe someday...

Quote Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    Thanks for the review! I'm definitely looking forward to this one. I liked all the books you referenced, except I haven't read Hex yet, though maybe someday...
    I grabbed this right when it came out - Pretty good story, lots of creepiness. Although I think the original Dutch setting/storyline would have made it even more so.

Senior Member Inmate
    Quote Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    I liked it. But I do joke that the book is simply Pet Sematary with a witch. For sure there is more to it than that--including a pretty original framing concept. It begins creepy and it's a fun read. I do wonder if the original ending was better.

Senior Member Inmate TacomaDiver's Avatar
    I have two copies of Haven - one is the US edition, and the other I got from PS a while back - not sure which edition it is - are the endings different? I should probably see which editions I have otherwise I sound like I'm just winging this - which I kind of am.

I liked it. But I do joke that the book is simply Pet Sematary with a witch. For sure there is more to it than that--including a pretty original framing concept. It begins creepy and it's a fun read. I do wonder if the original ending was better.

Senior Member Inmate
    Quote Originally Posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    I have two copies of Haven - one is the US edition, and the other I got from PS a while back - not sure which edition it is - are the endings different? I should probably see which editions I have otherwise I sound like I'm just winging this - which I kind of am.
    You meant Hex, right? Hex in any language is better than Haven!

I bought my edition of Hex from PS. It's the UK edition signed. I think the US edition is the same. Any edition that's in English is the same, I believe. It's the original in Dutch that has a different ending. I think Thomas Olde Heuvelt mentions it in the afterword. Or maybe in an article Read online. I don't know. But he changed the ending for the English translation and he felt it improved the book. But from what he described, I don't think it did. The ending felt somewhat disjointed.

Senior Member Hearing Voices mhatchett's Avatar
    Just started this one, pretty good so far.
    Age of Assassians.jpg

Senior Member Inmate TacomaDiver's Avatar
    Hex - Haven - in obviously confused.

Yeah, I meant Hex. I bought Haven from CD - it's not good?

You meant Hex, right? Hex in any language is better than Haven!

I bought my edition of Hex from PS. It's the UK edition signed. I think the US edition is the same. Any edition that's in English is the same, I believe. It's the original in Dutch that has a different ending. I think Thomas Olde Heuvelt mentions it in the afterword. Or maybe in an article Read online. I don't know. But he changed the ending for the English translation and he felt it improved the book. But from what he described, I don't think it did. The ending felt somewhat disjointed.

Senior Member Inmate
    Quote Originally Posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    Hex - Haven - in obviously confused.

Yeah, I meant Hex. I bought Haven from CD - it's not good?
    I bought Haven from CD as well and I was so excited to read it but I just couldn't finish it. After the fifth encounter with the local bully I just closed the book and walked away. I wanted to like it but now I just hope I can sell it for something more than I paid for it someday. For what it's worth, it won an award. Maybe you'll like it. For me, it was an absolute dud.

Quote Originally Posted by subie09lega View Post
    Well, finished it this weekend. The start, and the end are quite hectic in a good way. I found the middle part had a lot of boring parts, at least for me. Overall though, I enjoyed it. It wasn't an overwhelmingly long book by any means, and it kept my interest throughout. I felt it stayed true to the period where the story was taking place. I wouldn't put it on my own personal "Best of" lists, but it was good.

Now, back to my Kobo for some dark, space sci-fi. Richard Paul Russo's Ship Of Fools, which came highly recommended on many places I've checked out.

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar
    The Devil's Rosary: The Complete Tales of Jules de Grandin, Volume Two by Seabury Quinn--the 1930s pulp horror author who Lovecraft detested, but was praised by others of the time.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Quote Originally Posted by srboone View Post
    The Devil's Rosary: The Complete Tales of Jules de Grandin, Volume Two by Seabury Quinn--the 1930s pulp horror author who Lovecraft detested, but was praised by others of the time.
    Lovecraft, now there was a piece of work.....

Senior Member 2nd Electroshock Session Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mhatchett View Post
    Lovecraft, now there was a piece of work.....
    Funny you would say that. My initial response when I read 'author who Lovecraft detested' I thought, I would probably like him.

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly frik51's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by srboone View Post
    I read the first volume which left me a bit....unimpressed - the stories I found too repetitive.
    I had already pre-ordered vol. 2 and 3, but after finishing this first volume, I canceled.

sk

They are very much formulaic and of their time but I find them interesting.