Page 170 of 177 FirstFirst ... 70120160168169170171172 ... LastLast
Results 3,381 to 3,400 of 3540

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour Daninsky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Theli View Post
    Abercrombie at least had a concise story and wrapped it up.
    You better believe it and he gets major points for that.

Senior Member Hearing Voices mhatchett's Avatar
    Just finished Thomas Perry's Old Man and a baseball book, Odd Man Out: A year on the Mound with a Minor League Misfit, enjoyed them both. Old Man is sort of a Bourne Identity story for seniors LOL!! I love Perry's first book, The Butcher's Boy, one of the best Hit Man books ever written!

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? bookworm 1's Avatar
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    104 pages into The Twelve. So far this is even better then The Passage.

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Theli's Avatar
    ^ I still have yet to get to that series. Sounds promising.

Quote Originally Posted by mhatchett View Post
    Just finished Thomas Perry's Old Man and a baseball book, Odd Man Out: A year on the Mound with a Minor League Misfit, enjoyed them both. Old Man is sort of a Bourne Identity story for seniors LOL!! I love Perry's first book, The Butcher's Boy, one of the best Hit Man books ever written!
    Butcher's Boy sounds interesting. Might have to look into it.

I just finished Great Expectations then The Old Man and the Sea. I really enjoyed both. I'm about to tackle Moby Dick. Trying to work my way through more classics this year.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed thelion's Avatar
    ^ I still have yet to get to that series. Sounds promising.
    It's an excellent series and I think The City of Mirrors is the best book in the trilogy. Definitely worth reading...

Butcher's Boy sounds interesting. Might have to look into it.
    I haven't read Butcher's Boy, but I read the sequel Sleeping Dogs (I didn't know it was part of an ongoing series) and it was outstanding. I'll have to give Butcher's Boy a try as well one of these days.

- Brian

Junior Member Part-timer
    Finished Nathaniel West's Miss Lonelyhearts yesterday and almost done now with The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion. It's been weekend of heavy reading.

Quote Originally Posted by thelion View Post
    It's an excellent series and I think The City of Mirrors is the best book in the trilogy. Definitely worth reading...

I haven't read Butcher's Boy, but I read the sequel Sleeping Dogs (I didn't know it was part of an ongoing series) and it was outstanding. I'll have to give Butcher's Boy a try as well one of these days.

- Brian
    There is a 3rd book in the series, The Informant 2011. I have all 3 books, but I'm missing a good 1st edition of Butchers Boy. I have a serviceable Ex-library edition.
    Last edited by mhatchett; 01-29-2017 at 08:13 PM.

Senior Member Hearing Voices
    Quote Originally Posted by bookworm 1 View Post
    104 pages into The Twelve. So far this is even better then The Passage.
    I need to get to this. I loved the first book. Kinda thinking about doing a reread before tackling the other two books.

I'm reading The Best Of Dark Moon Digest. I'm on the fourth story-Pearls by Ed Kurtz. This collection is really awesome. The stories are short and this book really is laid out well. I wish I'd grabbed this as my next-to-be-read a while ago.

Cap
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Just finished Tom Bouman's sequel to Dry Bones in the Valley, Fateful Mornings. Set in rural Pennsylvania, poor rural, fracked Pennsylvania, Bouman's books are full of pain and longing, but also hope, a very small measure of hope. Really enjoyed it, watch for the clues, they're there, but don't look for an easy solution, it's not.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session TJCams's Avatar
    Finished The Langoliers and The Library Policeman from Four Past Midnight. I want to thank whoever it was on here for the recommendation on The Library Policeman. Glad I finally delved into it, and I agree it was one of the more scary/creepy stories I have read.

Now - Flowers For Algernon

Senior Member Inmate
    Quote Originally Posted by TJCams View Post

Love that book. I picked up the signed Easton HC a while back...just had to have a special edition in my collection.

Senior Member 2nd Electroshock Session Martin's Avatar
    Finished The Langoliers and The Library Policeman from Four Past Midnight. I want to thank whoever it was on here for the recommendation on The Library Policeman. Glad I finally delved into it, and I agree it was one of the more scary/creepy stories I have read.

That may have been me. I could not read that one at night or I would lay awake. I also had to put the book down when I finished and was unable to pick it up again and read Sun Dog for about a year. I recommend it whenever someone wants a "scary" story. Overall Four Past Midnight is a top notch book!

I read that in high school and enjoyed it at the time. My memories are vague of it now though.

I just finished Moby Dick, then The Great Gatsby (which I loved). I'm now reading The Complete Slayers by Paul Cain and Heart of Darkness.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    That may have been me. I could not read that one at night or I would lay awake. I also had to put the book down when I finished and was unable to pick it up again and read Sun Dog for about a year. I recommend it whenever someone wants a "scary" story. Overall Four Past Midnight is a top notch book!
    I believe it was. Thanks! Very much taps into the past of the main character, like so many of King's books do.

I already have my next one lined up after this too. Opening up the Kobo for the first time in a while, for a short little novella (maybe?) by Ronald Malfi - Borealis

Reading James Islington's "The Shadow of what was Lost" The first in a trilogy of epic Fantasy by Orbit. I think they put out a good product. Only 700 pages too go. have a great weekend everybody!

I've been making my way through some classics lately, especially during my commute to and from work, and, from time to time, on breaks. I finished HEart of Darkness and absolutely loved it. As the name suggests it is incredibly dark. The tone, imagery, subject and prose is all incredibly dark, maybe even borderline horror. At the moment I'm nearing the end of Nathaniel Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter. Next I plan on picking up John Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath. This won't be my first Steinbeck, but I do feel that is often considered his best, it is one I should read.

That said I've still been reading a bit more genre/pulp fiction at home. I normally choose to read editions that are more valuable at home while reading paperbacks while in commute. So I've been picking at Paul Cain's The Complete Slayers from CP, and enjoying it's no non-sense dialogue and gut -punching prose, but just put it down for a bit. After seeing the Hap & Leonard series being added to Netflix I figured I should finally read my Ziesing copy of Savage Season then check out the series. Just a couple chapters in so far, but already hooked on Joe Lansdale's prose and snappy pacing.

I'm reading Invasion Rabaul-Book One of the Rabaul Trilogy; A History of WWII's Longest Battle by Bruce Gamble. I'm also reading Spotlight on the American Circus: It's Fans, Performers & Owners by Dr. A. I. Garner.

Cap
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Senior Member Hearing Voices Brian861's Avatar
    I'm almost done with Joe Hill's Horns (probably will finish today) and it's a great read! Nothing what I expected and I highly recommend it. The first novel I've read by him. Think I'll read NOS4A2 next.