What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
    One interesting thing about The Judas Gun paperback (It's interesting to me anyway) is on the back it says Cover Painting by Ronnie Lesser. Cover painting? For a book published in 1960?

Cap
    I have a huge collection of vintage paperback westerns. If you ever get over to librarything, you can see some of them.

Comment

Just started up Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray.

Comment

I have just started my Autumnal/Halloween Pilgrimage, as usual, with my reading of A Night in the Lonesome October by Zelazny. After that, maybe Bradbury’s October Country, Balefires David Drake, a Dip into CD’s very own October Country, and Something new? Maybe Goblin if it gets here in time. Happy Spooky Reading All!

Comment

In the last month or so I have read:
          Bird Box - Josh Malerman - A great premise and well told. I liked it a lot, made me rush to read his second book;
          Black Mad Wheel - Josh Malerman. I didn't think so much of this one. A bit of a struggle to reach the end.
          The Ruins - Scott Smith. Fairly good. A bit low on character development - I found myself trying to differentiate one from another well into the story. An excellent villain!
          The Border - Robert McCammon. Excellent. I think I read Stinger almost thirty years ago, but this is my first McCammon book since then. There will be more coming.
          Dark Matter - Blake Crouch. Almost finished this one. Interesting and engaging. I like Crouch. His writing is matter of fact, but his ideas are very appealing to me.

This list shows the obvious influence of this forum - having looked through some of your collections and read the excellent reviews (particular thanks to Jeffingoff and Bugen).

Sleeping Beauties will be starting soon, but I'll listen to that one rather than read it. Maybe more McCammon...

Comment

Just finished Richard Paul Russo's Ship of Fools. Very dark, sci-fi. No fluff, flowers and unicorns in this one! I'd say this could be called space horror in many ways. Recommend it regardless!

Now.... starting Hell House by Richard Matheson

Comment

Originally posted by HumphreyBear View Post
              In the last month or so I have read:
              Bird Box - Josh Malerman - A great premise and well told. I liked it a lot, made me rush to read his second book;
              Black Mad Wheel - Josh Malerman. I didn't think so much of this one. A bit of a struggle to reach the end.
              The Ruins - Scott Smith. Fairly good. A bit low on character development - I found myself trying to differentiate one from another well into the story. An excellent villain!
              The Border - Robert McCammon. Excellent. I think I read Stinger almost thirty years ago, but this is my first McCammon book since then. There will be more coming.
              Dark Matter - Blake Crouch. Almost finished this one. Interesting and engaging. I like Crouch. His writing is matter of fact, but his ideas are very appealing to me.

This list shows the obvious influence of this forum - having looked through some of your collections and read the excellent reviews (particular thanks to Jeffingoff and Bugen).

Sleeping Beauties will be starting soon, but I'll listen to that one rather than read it. Maybe more McCammon...

I have heard lots of good stuff about this. Is this considered horror though? Or is that too general of a placement for it?

Comment

I'm kinda late to the party, but I just finished the audio book for Ready Player One. I'm actually surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I was thinking it would be too referential or something like that for me, but it was pretty great. I'm also surprised I wasn't annoyed by Wil Wheaton's narration.
                CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
                  I have heard lots of good stuff about this. Is this considered horror though? Or is that too general of a placement for it?
                  I wouldn't say Dark Matter is a horror story. More in the speculative fiction realm. If you've read Wayward Pines, you'll know the sort of thing to expect. I should finish it on a plane trip I have to take later today.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                    I'm kinda late to the party, but I just finished the audio book for Ready Player One. I'm actually surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I was thinking it would be too referential or something like that for me, but it was pretty great. I'm also surprised I wasn't annoyed by Wil Wheaton's narration.
                    I have had my eye on that one. if I told you that I usually try to listen to particularly good books or favourite authors, which are well read, would you say Ready Player One fits the criteria? Otherwise, I'll just use my eyes in the old fashioned way (albeit on a tablet).

Comment

Originally posted by HumphreyBear View Post
                      I have had my eye on that one. if I told you that I usually try to listen to particularly good books or favourite authors, which are well read, would you say Ready Player One fits the criteria? Otherwise, I'll just use my eyes in the old fashioned way (albeit on a tablet).
                      Probably. It's definitely well read. It's not "Star Wars" audio book quality (meaning it's not like an audio play), but Wil Wheaton does a good job. In fact he does so good of a job that after the first chapter or two I forgot it was him reading it. It's hard for me to say if it'd be better as just a regular read though, since I almost exclusively do all my "reading" via audio books these days. I just don't have time for anything else.

Instagram

Comment

Probably. It's definitely well read. It's not "Star Wars" audio book quality (meaning it's not like an audio play), but Wil Wheaton does a good job. In fact he does so good of a job that after the first chapter or two I forgot it was him reading it. It's hard for me to say if it'd be better as just a regular read though, since I almost exclusively do all my "reading" via audio books these days. I just don't have time for anything else.
                        I'm in the same boat as you, Dan as far as reading via audio. No matter the quality of the reader, I do feel it takes away from the experience of reading it myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                          I'm in the same boat as you, Dan as far as reading via audio. No matter the quality of the reader, I do feel it takes away from the experience of reading it myself.
                          I actually enjoy audio books. The Star Wars ones are done particularly well though. It's less like a book and more like a play. Since (at least the new ones) have all the rights to the "sounds of star wars" you get the music and sound effects from the movies, and there's one particular narrator that just does perfect voices for the cast. His Han Solo is sooo good. Sounds exactly like Harrison Ford.

Instagram

Comment

I actually enjoy audio books. The Star Wars ones are done particularly well though. It's less like a book and more like a play. Since (at least the new ones) have all the rights to the "sounds of star wars" you get the music and sound effects from the movies, and there's one particular narrator that just does perfect voices for the cast. His Han Solo is sooo good. Sounds exactly like Harrison Ford.
                            That would be a really cool listen!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                              That would be a really cool listen!
                              If you're interested in listening to one, I'd recommend Bloodline. It sort of bridges the gap between Episode VI and Episode VII. It explains how the resistance comes to be and is honestly just a really good book. Maybe the best of all the new Star Wars books they've brought out. It also helps that it's not part of a "series" or anything, just a one off.

Instagram

Comment

Currently wrapping up Reading Stephen King. Very enjoyable read, a mix of previously released and new essays.

I have bumped The Halloween Children up to be my next read.

Comment

Working...
                                X