Page 181 of 182 FirstFirst ... 81131171179180181182 LastLast
Results 3,601 to 3,620 of 3629

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Senior Member 2nd Electroshock Session Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HumphreyBear View Post
    I started with Horns (audiobook) which I loved. After that, I read Heart Shaped Box and 20th Century Ghosts. Enjoyed both of them very much.
    I then read Nos4R2, which I liked, but probably not as much as the others. Then I listened to The Fireman, which after a slow start, grew on me as it developed until, by the end, I loved it.
    Then it seemed logical to start reading Locke and Key - I think it was when I looked through Brian861's collection thread - and so I went for the IDW Master editions, and as I mentioned earlier, I'm at the half way point.
    Reading comics is a different experience to the written word. I feel that I have to stop and savour the artwork, when my instinct is to turn the page and rush along into the narrative. My daughter is an aspiring comic book artist, so guilt is a factor!
    I've ordered the CD version of Strange Weather, and will probably listen to it as an audiobook because I probably won't be able to wait.

On the whole, I give Joe Hill a resounding thumbs up.
    NOS4A2 is my least favorite Hill read. I enjoyed it but was not blown away, on the other hand I loved The Fireman. I see a lot of peoples comments that say they loved NOS4A2 and did not enjoy The Fireman.

Senior Member Hearing Voices Brian861's Avatar
    I started with Horns (audiobook) which I loved. After that, I read Heart Shaped Box and 20th Century Ghosts. Enjoyed both of them very much.
    I then read Nos4R2, which I liked, but probably not as much as the others. Then I listened to The Fireman, which after a slow start, grew on me as it developed until, by the end, I loved it.
    Then it seemed logical to start reading Locke and Key - I think it was when I looked through Brian861's collection thread - and so I went for the IDW Master editions, and as I mentioned earlier, I'm at the half way point.
    Reading comics is a different experience to the written word. I feel that I have to stop and savour the artwork, when my instinct is to turn the page and rush along into the narrative. My daughter is an aspiring comic book artist, so guilt is a factor!
    I've ordered the CD version of Strange Weather, and will probably listen to it as an audiobook because I probably won't be able to wait.

On the whole, I give Joe Hill a resounding thumbs up.
    Glad to hear that you like Joe's stuff!

I finished reading Fright by Cornell Woolrich. This book was a disappointment and I will not be reading any more titles by this author. I'm now halfway through The Book Of Baby Names by Norman Prentiss.

Cap
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Senior Member Inmate
    Quote Originally Posted by c marvel View Post
    I finished reading Fright by Cornell Woolrich. This book was a disappointment and I will not be reading any more titles by this author. I'm now halfway through The Book Of Baby Names by Norman Prentiss.

Cap
    What else have you read by Woolrich? I have THE BRIDE WORE BLACK on my shelf and I already read RENDEZVOUS IN BLACK. I thought RENDEZVOUS was good.

Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Theli's Avatar
    I've only read I Married a Dead Man and really like it.

Currently reading The Girl in the Swing by Richard Adams. I tried to get the CP edition when it was released but failed. Now I REALLY want it.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session TJCams's Avatar
    Call me odd, whatever, but I tried reading Hell House (Matheson).........about 1/2 way through, and I really don't care what's happening. Although I have kind of enjoyed it too? Putting it away for a bit.

Trying my first large size Neal Stephenson now..... Cryptonomicon. I want to get into his works more (only read Snow Crash), as it seems something I will enjoy. Have Anathem as well, but starting with Cryptonomicon.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    Quote Originally Posted by TJCams View Post
    Trying my first large size Neal Stephenson now..... Cryptonomicon. I want to get into his works more (only read Snow Crash), as it seems something I will enjoy. Have Anathem as well, but starting with Cryptonomicon.
    Cyrptonomicon has always been one of my favorites. It's a huge freakin' book, but I've read it at least five times.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    What else have you read by Woolrich? I have THE BRIDE WORE BLACK on my shelf and I already read RENDEZVOUS IN BLACK. I thought RENDEZVOUS was good.
    I may try a Cornell Woolrich Audible title. There is at least one title by the author at Audible. I am still reading The Book Of Baby Names and this evening I began Mission Raise Hell: The U. S. Marines On Choiseul October-November 1943 by James F. Christ.

Cap

Member Part-timer
    I have recently read the Halloween Children, which I figured I should do as I bought the forthcoming CD version. Read it on the tablet though. I quite enjoyed it but I don't get the whole Halloween thing. Probably due to being born and raised in Australia in a time when we didn't do Halloween. That's changed now with the Americanisation of our culture.
    Then I read Bone White by Ronald Malfi. A bit of a slog for much of the book, but in the end it got me, and had me caring about what happened to our protagonist. I finished that one on a plane yesterday and felt like somehting a bit lighter, so I started Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. Being a geek child of the 70s/80s, I was immediately hooked and switched to the audible version for the drive from the airport. Loving it!

I have recently read the Halloween Children, which I figured I should do as I bought the forthcoming CD version. Read it on the tablet though. I quite enjoyed it but I don't get the whole Halloween thing. Probably due to being born and raised in Australia in a time when we didn't do Halloween. That's changed now with the Americanisation of our culture.
    Then I read Bone White by Ronald Malfi. A bit of a slog for much of the book, but in the end it got me, and had me caring about what happened to our protagonist. I finished that one on a plane yesterday and felt like somehting a bit lighter, so I started Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. Being a geek child of the 70s/80s, I was immediately hooked and switched to the audible version for the drive from the airport. Loving it!
    If you like Ready Player One (awesome book!), try The Impossible Fortress, by Jason Rekulak.

https://www.amazon.com/Impossible-Fo...+jason+rekulak

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1442397 View Post
    If you like Ready Player One (awesome book!), try The Impossible Fortress, by Jason Rekulak.

https://www.amazon.com/Impossible-Fo...+jason+rekulak
    I *loved* THE IMPOSSIBLE FORTRESS...just an outstanding and charmingly nostalgic read.

Member Part-timer
    I loved Ready Player One. Thanks for the recommendation of The Impossible Fortress. I will hunt it down. Has anyone read Ernest Cline's other book Armada? Moving high up on my TBR list.

I've started on Strange Weather now. I finished Loaded last night. Very strong story. Having already read the original Snapshot 1988 in CD Mag, I skipped it for the moment. Now I'm into Aloft.
    I also read Joe Hill's Tales from the Darkside on a plane the other day. Lots of fun.

I'm doing a lot of travelling at the moment and carrying around a couple of novellas I picked up as part of PS Publishing's Halloween sale;
    Polaris - Timothy Brown, and;
    The invention of Happiness - Brian W. Aldiss.

I know nothing about these guys, but the covers are nice. I know, I know. You can't judge and all that.

Senior Member Inmate TacomaDiver's Avatar
    I loved Ready Player One. Thanks for the recommendation of The Impossible Fortress. I will hunt it down. Has anyone read Ernest Cline's other book Armada? Moving high up on my TBR list.
    I'm one of the few who didn't OMG I LOVE Ready Player One. I thought it was fun and a good ride. I had high expectations for Armada and to say it was a let down is a huge understatement. I didn't find it very good. I didn't like any of the characters and there wasn't much original about the story (I saw the movie when it was called The Last Starfighter.)

Member Part-timer
    Let me clarify - I loved RPO because I am the archetypal ageing geek that it's trying to appeal to, and I picked up on the myriad cultural references even before they were explained to me (and they usually were). The writing was nothing special and the plot predictable. I just found myself smiling all the time while reading it!
    Reading the synopsis of Armada, the parallels between it, The Last Starfighter and also Pratchett's Only You Can Save Mankind jumped out at me. Let's face it, there are very few original stories. As long as they are told well, I'm usually prepared to double (or triple) up.

Administrator Totally Insane Dan Hocker's Avatar
    Let me clarify - I loved RPO because I am the archetypal ageing geek that it's trying to appeal to, and I picked up on the myriad cultural references even before they were explained to me (and they usually were). The writing was nothing special and the plot predictable. I just found myself smiling all the time while reading it!
    Reading the synopsis of Armada, the parallels between it, The Last Starfighter and also Pratchett's Only You Can Save Mankind jumped out at me. Let's face it, there are very few original stories. As long as they are told well, I'm usually prepared to double (or triple) up.
    That's pretty much why I liked Ready Player One as well. I didn't love it, but I enjoyed it and would've read more if there was more. Plus I kinda have a soft spot for "Young Adult" fantasy / sci-fi novels, Harry Potter, Percy Jackson (really all of Rick Riordan's stuff), a surprising amount of Terry Brooks's stuff is really YA. I actually just got done listening to Rick Riordan's Mangnus Chase trilogy and thought that was a lot of fun. I really like how he deals with the different pagan mythological gods.

On a different note I'm really curious about the new book from the author of The Martian. I really loved The Martian, but I have a hard time believing that he can capture that same feeling in another book.
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com
    Ebook Email: danhocker@dhdigitaleditions.com
    eBook Website: www.dhdigitaleditions.com

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Twitter - Facebook - Twitch.tv

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    On a different note I'm really curious about the new book from the author of The Martian. I really loved The Martian, but I have a hard time believing that he can capture that same feeling in another book.
    I just finished it, and I really enjoyed it. It felt like a modern version of a Heinlein novel, and I found the story and the characters entirely plausible.

I thought I saw a Book Review section and now I can't locate it. I just finished reading The Book Of Baby Names by Norman Prentiss. At first, I had trouble reading TBoBN. This author's writing style made me re-read part of the first story. In the end, I really liked and enjoyed this book. I thought the Introduction before the stories and the Afterword made this a very cleverly done book. This is one I got in the CD Dinged Grab Bag purchase.

Cap

Member Part-timer
    I have spent a bit of time on planes and at airports this past week, and plenty of time to read/listen.
    On the recommendations above, I grabbed an ebook of The Impossible Fortress by Jason Rekulak due to Dave's recommendation. I raced through that and enjoyed it thoroughly. Thanks, Dave!
    I finished the audiobook of Joe Hill's Strange Weather. Not my favourite of his works - Loaded was fantastic, Aloft and Rain were ok. I had already read Snapshot 1988 in CD mag so I skipped it.
    This morning I started listening to John Dies at the End by David Wong. I am about an hour into it but not loving it so far.
    I am also halfway through The Invention of Happiness by Brian W Aldiss. 34 stories in 100 odd pages. I am liking it. In the preface, the author explains that he tried to write a short story every day - hence the brevity. As you might expect, some are better than others, but if you don't like the one you're reading, there'll be another one along any minute. Different, but good.

^^^ Glad you enjoyed it!

This is my list for the month so far.

322 11/01/17 Clegg, Douglas The Nightmare Chronicles
    323 11/01/17 Grisham, John The Rooster Bar
    324 11/02/17 Connelly, Michael Two Kinds of Truth
    325 11/02/17 Rollins, James Ghost Ship
    326 11/03/17 Sandford, John Deep Freeze
    327 11/04/17 Child, Lee The Midnight Line
    328 11/05/17 Button, Jenson Life to the Limit
    329 11/06/17 Archer, Jeffrey Tell Tale
    330 11/06/17 Dionne, Karen The Marsh King's Daughter
    331 11/08/17 Hunter, Stephen G-Man
    332 11/09/17 Brookmyre, Christopher The Last Hack
    333 11/10/17 Goldman, Matt Gone to Dust
    334 11/11/17 Wilson, Robert Charles Last Year
    335 11/12/17 Sternbergh, Adam The Blinds
    336 11/12/17 Woods, Stuart Quick & Dirty
    337 11/13/17 Dolby, Thomas The Speed of Sound
    338 11/14/17 Laukkanen, Owen The Forgotten Girls
    339 11/15/17 Weir, Andy Artemis
    340 11/16/17 Christie, William A Single Spy
    341 11/17/17 Baldacci, David End Game

Member Part-timer
    Wow, You read a lot Dave!

I have recently just finished the Brookmyre on your list (although where I live it's called Want You Gone).
    I think I 'll start on Artemis next.