No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the responses! I guess I need to move it up the queue a bit. Unfortunately, this year has been terrible for reading so far. I think I've only read two books over the last six months. Work has had me running for the last year due to a promotion and I've found it more and more difficult to get time to read. I'm hoping to turn that around in a couple weeks as things should settle down a little bit.

Comment

Thirty-seven days to read Jerusalem! (At over 600,000 words, it's longer than any English translation of War & Peace or Les Miserables.) But I loved every frustrating, challenging, beautiful word of it. Followed that up with The Black Elfstone by Terry Brooks.

Currently reading a book I should have read in college and didn't (at least I don't think I did, I don't remember reading it--but from the copious notes I took in the margin of the book I found on my paperback shelves, I attended all the lectures on it): The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy.
      "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Mystic River was great, not at all like how it seemed in the beginning. The plot itself is not so convoluted or unpredictable, but the characters are complex and believable and it's one hell of an emotional rollercoaster.

I followed it up with The Englishman's Boy by Guy Vanderhaeghe. This is a great story of historical fiction. There is two separate stories that tie together, 1920's Hollywood screen writer trying to track down an old Western star who really lived the life, and that old Western star's experiences 40+ years before. Very insightful and enjoyable read. I can't recommend it more.

Currently following up on one of my reading goals this year, exploring history. I've always been a fan of mythology, folk tales and legends, as well as studying anthropology, but have never really explored history much. I'm starting with the history of Rome with Anthony Everitt's The Rise of Rome. Not sure where I will go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by frik51 View Post
          Maybe it's fun to let everyone know which book you're reading at the moment.
          I know I'd like to know!
          At the moment, I'm reading BLACK HOUSE BY SK AND PS. Really enjoying it, by the way.

Comment

I'm done with Fortress Rabaul: Book Two of the Rabaul Trilogy by Bruce Gamble. I read Phases of the Moon-A Moonstone Books tpb and now I'm starting The Victorian Act III: Self-Estrangement.

Cap
            Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Reading King's Different Seasons. Finished "Shawshank," "Apt Pupil," and "The Body." So far, "Pupil," is my favorite. I didn't like "The Body" as much as I hoped. It felt a little drawn out... On to "The Breathing Method." I believe this is the only "horror" story in the collection.

Comment

Originally posted by mphprez View Post
                Reading King's Different Seasons. Finished "Shawshank," "Apt Pupil," and "The Body." So far, "Pupil," is my favorite. I didn't like "The Body" as much as I hoped. It felt a little drawn out... On to "The Breathing Method." I believe this is the only "horror" story in the collection.
                Been a long time since I read different seasons but if my memory serves me correct the first three stories were all fantastic to me and The Breathing Method was good but not as good as the others.

Comment

I'm just starting Stephen King's IT (the Cemetery Dance Anniversary Edition). Really looking forward to it.

Comment

Joe Hill's Strange Weather. For some reason I decided to start with the last story "Rain", so far it is a fantastic read!

Edit: I realized I wrote the name of the collection in place of the story.
                    Last edited by Martin; 08-07-2017, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                      Joe Hill's Strange Weather. For some reason I decided to start with the last story "Strange Weather", so far it is a fantastic read!
                      Good to hear. Hill has been hit-or-miss for me, but I've been excited for this one. Hoping to get the CD edition when announced.

Comment

Reading Come to Dust by Bracken MacLeod . Got from the last nocturnal readers box. It's a super story so far.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                          Reading Come to Dust by Bracken MacLeod . Got from the last nocturnal readers box. It's a super story so far.
                          I was lukewarm on it. I thought it was solid but could have been better.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                            I was lukewarm on it. I thought it was solid but could have been better.
                            I'm at about the halfway point and so far so good .We'll see how the ending goes for me.

Before I started this book I read I'm Thinking of Ending Things. That was an unexpected journey that I'm still thinking about.

Comment

Really liked come to Dust. Now I am reading The Grip of It by Jac Jemc. This is really creepy. One of the better haunted house reads. Just started it yesterday and am already almost halfway through.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                                Really liked come to Dust. Now I am reading The Grip of It by Jac Jemc. This is really creepy. One of the better haunted house reads. Just started it yesterday and am already almost halfway through.
                                I was worried about The Nocturnal Reader's Box adding to much to my house but they have a much larger impact on my TBR pile. I am really impressed with their book selections so far.

Comment

Working...
                                X