No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Artemis (Andy Weir) was terrific. While it didn't reach the heights of The Martian, it was a thoroughly entertaining caper, with lots of science!
    I found that reading Artemis and listening to Long Way to A Small Angry Planet at the same time was a bit confusing - both are space romps with a female protagonist, so I shelved it for the moment and started listening to McCammon's They Thirst. It's a bit dated, and these days it seems a bit cliched, but I'm sure it was fresh in 1981! I'm enjoying it.
    I've also started Route 19 Revisited - The Clash and London Calling. My favourite album of all time has a book devoted to it, and I have just taken possession of a lovely first. To be savoured.
    I also read Stephen Baxter's A Martian in The Woods, which was interesting. If you have read The Massacre of Mankind, this is a short story set between H. G. Wells original war of the world's and Baxter's sequel.

Comment

Originally posted by HumphreyBear
      I also read Stephen Baxter's A Martian in The Woods, which was interesting. If you have read The Massacre of Mankind, this is a short story set between H. G. Wells original war of the world's and Baxter's sequel.

What did you think of THE MASSACRE OF MANKIND? I’ve picked this up a number of times, but haven’t yet pulled the trigger.
      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
        What did you think of THE MASSACRE OF MANKIND? I’ve picked this up a number of times, but haven’t yet pulled the trigger.
        I enjoyed it. Baxter writes it very much in the style of HG Wells, and it would help if you are familiar with the original. Definitely worth reading though.

Comment

I'm currently working my way through American Gods for the first time (in audio book form). I'm honestly not sure if I like it or not. The main character isn't very relate-able and the story feels kinda meandering. Like it's going somewhere, but not directly and not quickly. Maybe it's because the audio version is the 10th anniversary edition, which is a lot longer than the original book.
          CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
          Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
            I'm currently working my way through American Gods for the first time (in audio book form). I'm honestly not sure if I like it or not. The main character isn't very relate-able and the story feels kinda meandering. Like it's going somewhere, but not directly and not quickly. Maybe it's because the audio version is the 10th anniversary edition, which is a lot longer than the original book.
            I think 'meandering' is a very good description for this one.

Comment

I think meandering is probably right and actually why I liked the book. Sometimes i'm in the mood for that type of read.....

Comment

I usually don't mind meandering, but I think because I can't really relate / care about the main character it's not working as well for me. Usually I'd be through one of these audio books in a week, this one is probably gonna drag into a 3rd week before I finish it, unless I'm further through than I thought.
                CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

I finished listening to They Thirst by Robert McCammon. I quite enjoyed it, although the Deus Ex Machina ending was a bit much. Still, I suppose if we're suspending our disbelief about vampires, then we might as well suspend it a bit more.

From there I figured I'd stick with McCammon Vampires and went into listening to I Travel By Night. This was a "Graphic Audio" version and so all the dialogue was done by different actors, with lots of sound effects and music. I think it distracts a little from the writing, but I enjoyed the tale so much that I immediately read the sequel, Last Train from Perdition as an ebook. Excellent, and I look forward to the next installment. I have been looking at the Sub Press versions of these books which are pretty pricey on the secondary market. Given that they are both novella length, i am curious as to whether these books are nicely presented enough to make me pay the high price. Does anyone here own them and have an opinion on that?

I have been considering American Gods for quite some time - a woman sitting across from me at the airport yesterday was reading it. I have read a few Gaiman books but he's never grabbed me. Hopefully I'll get to it one day.

Comment

Originally posted by HumphreyBear View Post
                    I finished listening to They Thirst by Robert McCammon. I quite enjoyed it, although the Deus Ex Machina ending was a bit much. Still, I suppose if we're suspending our disbelief about vampires, then we might as well suspend it a bit more.

From there I figured I'd stick with McCammon Vampires and went into listening to I Travel By Night. This was a "Graphic Audio" version and so all the dialogue was done by different actors, with lots of sound effects and music. I think it distracts a little from the writing, but I enjoyed the tale so much that I immediately read the sequel, Last Train from Perdition as an ebook. Excellent, and I look forward to the next installment. I have been looking at the Sub Press versions of these books which are pretty pricey on the secondary market. Given that they are both novella length, i am curious as to whether these books are nicely presented enough to make me pay the high price. Does anyone here own them and have an opinion on that?

I have been considering American Gods for quite some time - a woman sitting across from me at the airport yesterday was reading it. I have read a few Gaiman books but he's never grabbed me. Hopefully I'll get to it one day.
                    I have looked at those McCammon titles but never jumped in. I may have to get to them. My view on Gaiman match yours, I so want to enjoy his work but I typically end up underwhelmed.

Comment

Gaiman over the years has proven to be very hit and miss for me.

Loved Neverwhere and Stardust, loved Coraline, and The Ocean at the End of the Lane may be the best thing I’ve read by him. Now saying all of that, I was so looking forward to American Gods and was disappointed. Even re-reading it 10+ years later left me cold. I feel like there was so much potential and it was all eh. I don’t even remember anything about Anasi Boys, so that obviously made an impression. Even Norse Mytholgy left me cold. However, after hearing read one of the stories I found it very entertaining. Perhaps this needs to be an audio book for me to enjoy it.

His short story collections are a different animal altogether and are mostly enjoyable.

Comment

I finished reading Entangled Soul by Gene O'Neill and Chris Marrs. Now, I'm reading the second Lone Ranger novel Killer Round-Up by Fran Striker in The Lone Ranger #2.

Cap
                        Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

I have been looking at the Sub Press versions of these books which are pretty pricey on the secondary market. Given that they are both novella length, i am curious as to whether these books are nicely presented enough to make me pay the high price. Does anyone here own them and have an opinion on that?
                          I have the S/L editions of those books, and they're typical Sub Press books in a nice slipcase. No illustrations, except for the signature page (and, according to the post below, one more illustration per book that I missed when flipping through LTFP this morning!). I seem to remember paying around $85 each for them at the time.
                          Last edited by Dave1442397; 03-14-2018, 01:07 PM.

Comment

I love both of the Trevor Lawson books! Unfortunately, McCammon has no plans to write more of them. The S/L editions both have one very nice illustration that is not in the trade editions. There is a S/L copy of Last Train From Perdition on eBay right now for $45. (Not my auction, but a pretty good deal.)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132536362655?ul_noapp=true

I Travel By Night Illo.jpg

Last Train From Perdition Illo.jpg
                            Last edited by Marmaduke Grigsby; 03-14-2018, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys. I want them.
                              And that ebay auction is very timely.

Comment

I'm actually hoping I pick up the 2nd title in the grab bag I just bought. Fingers crossed!!

Comment

Working...
                                X