Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Score! Happy camper here after finding....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Score! Happy camper here after finding....

This isn't a purchase so I didn't post it under Post Your Latest Purchase. It is a find however and a darn cool one IMO. I guess this is a grail find for me. At ComicBookPlus.com I found The Case of the Winking Buddha by pulp novelist Manning Lee Stokes. You can read it online free. I found that TCOTWB had been put in Authentic Police Cases #25. Originally TCOTWB was a separate publication and one of the early graphic novels. It was called a picture novel and published by St. John Publications. Today, this picture novel can rarely be found for sale. I believe the cost is in the hundreds of $$$. I had no idea it was available to read free online until today. Finding this was a real thrill for me.

Cap
    Last edited by c marvel; 05-10-2018, 11:35 PM.
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Congrats on finding a grail! The things you dig up often interest me. Always something new and different.

Comment

Nice discovery!

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
        Congrats on finding a grail! The things you dig up often interest me. Always something new and different.
        I must be a good digger.... ~Cap

Comment

It Rhymes With Lust by Drake Waller, published in 1950, is considered as the first graphic novel. It was the first picture novel from St. John Publications followed by The Case Of The Winking Buddha by Manning Lee Stokes. It Rhymes With Lust was reprinted by Dark Horse Books in 2007.
          Four Frightened Women (Told In Pictures #2) by George Harmon Coxe was also published in 1950 by Dell. It was reprinted by Pure Imagination Publishing in 2009. Finally there was Mansion Of Evil by Joseph Millard published in 1950 by Fawcett Gold Medal as an original color comic book story packaged as a paperback. Mansion Of Evil can be found at Amazon and read online.

Cap

Comment

Thanks for some background info. I might need to do some more digging myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
              Thanks for some background info. I might need to do some more digging myself.
              What will you be seeking Theli? ~Cap

Comment

Tonight while browsing I stumbled across vintage paperbacks published by A Graphic Mystery. That was the name of these paperbacks and appeared on the cover of each paperback. When I saw the word graphic I thought -- What makes it graphic? I see a couple A Graphic Mystery paperbacks on eBay that seem to provide an answer to my question. Under Special Attributes the Sellers describe the paperbacks as Illustrated. Illustrations inside the paperback apparently. I do not know if these A Graphic Mystery paperbacks are anything special. I'm tempted to buy one to satisfy my curiosity.
                -Homicide Lost by William Vance.
                -So Lovely To Kill by Harrison Wade.

Cap

Comment

Excellent!

Comment

I got Homicide Lost in Thursday's mail. It is not illustrated except for one illustration before the story begins. Perhaps graphic refers to the story content. The only way to know is to read it. I read the excerpt on the back cover and I wonder if this is a sleaze novel. I've never read one of those before.

Cap

Comment

Working...
                    X