Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loot Boxes (Or Crates) - What do you think of them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loot Boxes (Or Crates) - What do you think of them?

Last night on Facebook I clicked on an ad/pop-up that mentioned regulating loot boxes. The regulation aspect seems to apply mainly to the gaming business. Last summer, someone who was my neighbor showed me a box from lootcrate.com. I'd never seen one before. I've seen the Nocturnal Reader's Box mentioned a couple of times here. That really doesn't interest me at all. Note: Read the NRB Refund Policy. That looks very nasty.

Cap
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
    Last night on Facebook I clicked on an ad/pop-up that mentioned regulating loot boxes. The regulation aspect seems to apply mainly to the gaming business. Last summer, someone who was my neighbor showed me a box from lootcrate.com. I'd never seen one before. I've seen the Nocturnal Reader's Box mentioned a couple of times here. That really doesn't interest me at all. Note: Read the NRB Refund Policy. That looks very nasty.

Cap
    The gaming stuff is mostly because it's basically gambling, it doesn't really pertain to stuff like Lootcrate. Lootcrate everyone gets the same stuff. Where the stuff in gaming are blind purchases where the contents of the "boxes" are randomized based on a percentage chance to receive certain items. Often times these "in game items" can actually be sold for real money. So it incentives buying more and more boxes to get the stuff that's worth actual money.

It's kinda a really scummy business model that preys on addictive personalities and was popularized by the mobile games industry. It's recently really come into light because of EA and what they did to the Star Wars: Battlefront franchise with these boxes.
    CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post

Cap
      I have watched a few unboxings of Loot boxes on YouTube and the contents do not make me want to subscribe. I joined the Nocturnal Reader's Box when the did the Gwendy's box last year. I think the wording on their website regarding cancellations as a little harsh but it boils down to 'When you cancel it will apply to the next billing cycle.' I have no problem with that. Overall I have liked the content of the boxes and have found a few author's I want more from.

Comment

Working...
      X