Misery from Suntup editions:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
    Has not been announced, that I've seen...just that it will be based on preorders, will be comparatively limited for a King LE, and that it will be capped. Don't know why Paul just didn't announce what that cap is, though.
    Well, considering all the hype around this release and the fact that you can still buy one right now, I'm not sure it's super limited. Maybe 2,000? 3,000? How many signatures is Rick Berry willing to endure? lol

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
      Well, considering all the hype around this release and the fact that you can still buy one right now, I'm not sure it's super limited. Maybe 2,000? 3,000? How many signatures is Rick Berry willing to endure? lol
      I sure hope it's less than that. My guess was somewhere between 1000 and 1500, if only because it was promoted as comparatively limited (". . . will be very limited for a Stephen King book"...though I suppose that can be read any way one wants, given that I now see it doesn't specify that it's in comparison to other Gift Editions of other limiteds...if it means mass market, then anything compared to a "Stephen King book" would be "very limited"). I also thought perhaps since the numbered was smaller than recent other King numbereds, that the same would apply to the Gift/Artist's in this case. Hopefully it'll be announced in the next week or two, once the dust from the order period settles and/or the order cap hits.
      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
        I sure hope it's less than that. My guess was somewhere between 1000 and 1500, if only because it was promoted as comparatively limited (". . . will be very limited for a Stephen King book"...though I suppose that can be read any way one wants, given that I now see it doesn't specify that it's in comparison to other Gift Editions of other limiteds...if it means mass market, then anything compared to a "Stephen King book" would be "very limited"). I also thought perhaps since the numbered was smaller than recent other King numbereds, that the same would apply to the Gift/Artist's in this case. Hopefully it'll be announced in the next week or two, once the dust from the order period settles and/or the order cap hits.
        Yeah when you look at the language, there's tons of room to justify a print run of 5,000. For a King book, that's a small number. Though it's huge for a limited run. I think the Grant trade editions were about 5,000. We will see. I just assumed if people were burning for a numbered and were denied they'd still want something and they'd grab a gift edition. Unless they wanted King's signature or nothing.

Anyway, the balm to my burns today:
        1. MISERY is one of my absolute favorite King books and I'm happy to add the artist edition to my collection.
        2. I LOVE Rick Berry's work on TALISMAN and BLACK HOUSE. Berry as well as Dave McKean and Phile Hale (his work on the second edition of THE DRAWING OF THE THREE) are my favorite King artists so far. Dave Columbo is another that I thought was exceptional.
        3. Telling my wife that I spent $115 is a whole lot easier than telling her I spent $525.
        4. Based on Suntup's attention to detail, I'm hoping even the gift edition is a stand out. Though I haven't seen anything but the slipcase.

Anyway, I'm feeling bummed (like I did when I missed the Lonely Road edition of GWENDY) but I plan on making a full recovery like a true first world warrior.

Comment

OK, here's something odd. When I ordered my Gift Edition I paid $115. Now the price says $110 which is what the website said the price would be. I'm wondering if they'll adjust my order. What did others pay for the Gift edition?

Comment

I paid $115 for mine.

Comment

$115. The order price did not match the advertised price. I initially thought perhaps the postage was going to be bundled in, but that didn’t turn out to be the case, either. I’m not going to sweat the five bucks, though.

Comment

Did this statement give anyone pause?

Media Mail: We offer Media Mail shipping, which is nice and cheap, but please be aware that this is not insured and we are not responsible for any loss caused by the carrier. Thank you!

I hate when they add disclaimers like that. Do they offer any other options at checkout?

Comment

Originally posted by subie09lega View Post

Media Mail: We offer Media Mail shipping, which is nice and cheap, but please be aware that this is not insured and we are not responsible for any loss caused by the carrier. Thank you!

I hate when they add disclaimers like that. Do they offer any other options at checkout?
                  There were three options:

USPS Media Mail
                  USPS Priority Mail
                  Fed Ex

I chose Priority mail as I do with all high end books.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

USPS Media Mail
                    USPS Priority Mail
                    Fed Ex

Okay, that's good to know, it kind of spooked me. Does anyone know from where Suntup ships?

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

USPS Media Mail
                      USPS Priority Mail
                      Fed Ex

I probably should have done so as well, but I was ordering so quickly -- wasn't sure how fast the Artist's Edition was going to go, and I'd already missed out on the Numbered Edition (though as it turned out it's not a concern...I think Artist's copies still remain for sale) -- that I didn't give it any thought and just went w/ the default/cheapest option.

My hope and belief is, though, that Paul will package up all copies well against possible damage, so the only thing I figure I'm chancing is a slower delivery speed.

Comment

Okay, that's good to know, it kind of spooked me. Does anyone know from where Suntup ships?
                        Suntup Editions
                        6789 Quail Hill Parkway #521
                        Irvine, CA 92603

This assumes he doesn't have it direct shipped from the printer. My guess is, though, that they're shipped from his place of business after he's had a chance to look over the printer's work and check on quality control.

Comment

Paul is based in Irvine California. I do not assume to know that they will ship from there though.

Comment

Yea it's a Media Mail thing. We generally place that warning about Media Mail on the big expensive books as well, as for that stuff we strongly encourage people to select UPS or FedEx. Though I honestly can't think of an instance where something was lost or damaged that we didn't end up replacing it anyways (unless we had no copies to replace it with).
                            CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                            Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Interesting to hear that there were issues with the Chrome browser, which is what I used, too. I clicked on the order button as soon as it went live, but it just kept opening another tab with the same page as before, or getting a database error. That 45 seconds I wasted before clicking on the STORE button lost me a Numbered Edition. I can live with the Gift Edition and the extra $400, though

Comment

So as the dust settles on Suntup Editions first book release I though I would recap what I know now about this release:

Misery:
                                The Signed Limited Edition of Misery is published in three oversized states:
                                Artist Gift Edition
                                Numbered Edition
                                Lettered Edition
                                All three editions measure 7.5” x 10.5”, and feature eight new full-color illustrations by Rick Berry.

The Artist Gift Edition:
                                * limitation amount is not yet known.
                                * Retail $110.00 (Initially sold for $115, refunds being issued.)
                                * Smyth-Sewn binding.
                                * Full Imperial cloth covering.
                                * Two-hits Stamping on Front and Spine.
                                * Silk head and tail bands.
                                * Beautiful full-color wrap around dust jacket art by Rick Berry, only available on the Artist Gift edition.
                                * Offset printed on Mohawk Superfine Eggshell paper.
                                * Housed in a custom printed slipcase.
                                * Signed by Rick Berry.

Numbered Edition:
                                * Retail $525.00
                                * Smyth-Sewn binding.
                                * Full Japanese cloth, featuring a blind stamped front cover, and a leather spine label stamped in 22K gold leaf.
                                * Printed letterpress on Crane's Lettra 100% cotton paper.
                                * Limited to 200 copies, of which the first 185 are for sale and numbered in black. The remaining 15 copies are numbered in red and reserved for private distribution.
                                * Housed in a custom clamshell box.
                                * Signed by Stephen King and Rick Berry.

Lettered Edition:
                                * Retail $3,950.00
                                * Handbound in full crimson goatskin leather.
                                * Sewn binding with hollow back designed to hold for 300 years.
                                * Marbled papers are made exclusively for this edition.
                                * Printed letterpress on moldmade Arches wove paper, deckled fore edge.
                                * Limited to 26 copies for sale lettered A-Z.
                                * Blind stamping on spine.
                                * Unique marbled paper wrapped endbands.
                                * The title is made using six original Royal glass typewriter keys which are inset into the front cover.
                                * The letter designation is a Royal key inset into the lower back cover.
                                * Includes an original frontispiece print, pulled from a wood engraving by famed illustrator and designer Barry Moser. The print is limited to 26 copies and is signed by Barry Moser.
                                * The book is housed in a handmade walnut wood box designed to resemble an original Royal Model 10 packing crate. The case is laser engraved, and features a black suede-lined book bed.
                                * Signed by Stephen King and Rick Berry.

A pre-sale was offered for persons who purchased The Eyes of the Dragon Art Portfolio from Suntup before this was offered to the general public.
                                After the pre-sale less the 100 Numbered editions remained available for the public sale The Lettered edition sold out in pre-sale and none were offered to the general public.

Additional items were offered for early sales:
                                LIMITED EDITION HAGEN-RENAKER EMPEROR PENGUIN
                                PenguinOriginal Hagen Renaker Misery.jpg
                                This beautiful ceramic emperor penguin is included free with all Lettered edition orders, as well as the first 75 orders for either the Artist Gift edition, or the Numbered edition. Made by world-famous Hagen-Renaker, manufacturer of collectible ceramic animal figurines for 70 years, this is the same brand of penguin that appeared in the screen adaptation of Misery.
                                (I am assuming these all went during the pre-sale but have no way of knowing.)

FREE SCHWAG WITH FIRST 50 ORDERS:
                                schwag Misery Suntup.jpg
                                I am again assuming these all went during the pre-sale.
                                Side note: I already have the penguin but would sure like to get the Schwag set!

Lastly a promotional photo of all editions:
                                MiseryAllEditionsBG.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X