Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bye buy Coarsegold Book Peddler-Sad to see you go.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bye buy Coarsegold Book Peddler-Sad to see you go.....

I stopped at the Coarsegold Book Peddler in Coarsegold, CA on my way back to the park on Thurs, Oct. 2. I'm very glad I did stop. I learned the Coarsegold Book Peddler is closing their doors at the end of November. According to the nice lady in the store they have been in business for 26 years. I haven't purchased many paperbacks there, but it is a neat little bookstore. I haven't purchased much partially due to my day sleeper schedule. Usually when I make it to Oakhurst, CA -- which is 7 miles from Coarsegold it is the late afternoon, 4:30, 5 or later which means I can't get into every shop I wish to enter. As a result, I've found some books that I like at thrift shops or antique stores. There is one bookstore in Oakhurst for new books and I don't go into that shop much.
    I did buy two paperbacks from the Coarsegold Book Peddler. The Case of the Crumpled Knave by Anthony Boucher-A mystery novel that I would classify as a vintage paperback. My Pyramid edition (the 3rd different publishing edition) is from 1967. The second book I found fascinating. Lola Montez: The Divine Eccentric and the Newspapers by Doris Foley. This is a factual account of that person's years in California. There is a bibliography, etc.. at the end. Grand cost=$2.16.

Cap
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

I hate it when bookstores I've enjoyed for years and years close their doors...it's happened far too often for me in the last decade, that's for sure. Sorry yours had to shutter, too. Sign of the times, I suppose...but that doesn't make it easier.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

It is very sad when bookstores close their doors. I'm fortunate that two of my favourites I right close to my girlfriends apartment, and seem to be doing well enough. I've seen many others suffer worse fates.

Comment

I hate to see small independent business go away.

Comment

Working...
        X