Suggestion for King-related anthology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestion for King-related anthology

Let's have an anthology that serves as a tribute to Stephen King. Sort of like an album of covers in tribute to a band.

An anthology of short stories that take place in King worlds. The model would be Jerusalem's Lot/'Salem's Lot/One for the Road, if you get my meaning. The stories would only be for the fun of the anthology, and would not impact the current King mythology.

Good idea? Bad?

I think it's a cool idea. It's not really far removed from the slew of authors whom write or have written in the literary universes created by H.P. Lovecraft and/or Robert E. Howard.

Comment

I suspect it'd be too much a copyright infringement debacle...even if King gave his blessing for such a project, there are probably a slew of copyright holders (publishers, film studios, etc.) that could arguably claim infringement on creative property. Lovecraft and Howard are different in that such infringement on has presumably gone the way of public domain by now (though Conan is likely tied up in some fashion, even now).

Cool idea, but I just don't how practical it would be from a legal standpoint, with all of the various stakeholders and a creative property wealth worth billions.

Then again, I'm not a lawyer, haven't played one on TV, and I haven't stayed in a Holiday Inn Express for years and years...
      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
        I suspect it'd be too much a copyright infringement debacle...even if King gave his blessing for such a project, there are probably a slew of copyright holders (publishers, film studios, etc.) that could arguably claim infringement on creative property. Lovecraft and Howard are different in that such infringement on has presumably gone the way of public domain by now (though Conan is likely tied up in some fashion, even now).

Cool idea, but I just don't how practical it would be from a legal standpoint, with all of the various stakeholders and a creative property wealth worth billions.

Then again, I'm not a lawyer, haven't played one on TV, and I haven't stayed in a Holiday Inn Express for years and years...
        I'm pretty sure it could be done with King's blessing. Publishers hold the right to publish those books, but they don't hold the rights to those "worlds" so to speak. Which is why King can write books that take place in the same worlds as other books for different publishers without having to worry about copyright problems.

So it's doable, but it would definitely have to have King's blessing, which if I was him I'd be pretty hesitant to give. The second you give your blessing to something like that, you loose a bit of ownership (metaphorically speaking).
        CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
        Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

And the fact that he's inspired so many other authors; one could venture to say that there's a ton of work already out there based on/off his works. And will be for the very foreseeable future.
          Last edited by Brian861; 10-17-2017, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
            And the fact that he's inspired so many other authors; one could venture to say that there's a ton of work already out there based on/off his works. And will be for the very seeable future.
            You definitely have a point there.

Comment

Working...
            X