The Outsider by Stephen King

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JJ123 View Post
    That's good to hear (about it starting off well). I saw King on the morning CBS show, via YouTube (thank you, corporate synergy) and I'm starting to feel a bit more excited about the book. I so much wish they would consult fans for some better questions (and he only gets five minutes? Does he pre-tape this kind of visit or is it live? Would assume satellite would be easier.).

Now, am I nuts, but isn't The Outsider a similar concept to The Dark Half? It's been a while since I've read the latter, but weren't there fingerprints/etc. tying Thad something or other to the crimes committed by the doppelganger in that tome? I say this because that would have been an interesting point to question King on. I don't mean that he should be accused of repeating himself, I mean to say it would be fascinating to hear from him how he feels the two books compare, and how he evolved the concept. Also, for those who remember this, King said he felt Half finally worked as a story once the sparrows concept came together...what turned out to be the "sparrows" for Outsider? No one seems to be mentioning Half, but I haven't read of lot of reviews yet. I also would have loved to hear when he started the book, how long it took to write it, etc. We really need better questions during these interviews.

One cool thing in the interview: he mentioned Poe's William Wilson. Been a while since I read that, but I was never sure if the doppelganger in that story was real or existed only in the imagination of the protagonist....
    I am only a quarter way into The Outsider and it has been many years since I read The Dark Half but I do not see a similarity in the stories.

Comment

UPDATE: For the trade hardcover of THE OUTSIDER, we received 50% 1st printings and 50% 3rd printings even though we placed our order in early April. Our sales rep at S&S still has them searching their warehouse to see if we can swap our 3rds for any leftover 1sts.

IN THE MEANTIME, if you ordered from us and definitely need a 1st printing, please email Mindy at [email protected] ASAP. She will mark your order accordingly. We will sit on the 3rd printing books until we have a definitive answer. SORRY about the delay!

Thank you!

Brian
      Brian James Freeman

Lividian Publications: http://www.Lividian.com
      My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

Comment

Please do not sit on ANY books. You might damage them.

Comment

I could've sworn I ordered The Outsider with slipcase, but I just searched my orders and see I only ordered the slipcase....duh! I better go to my local B&N and see if I can find a first printing.

Comment

This is one of the best books Mr. King has written in years. A little over 100 pages into it and am fully invested in the story and the characters.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
              I could've sworn I ordered The Outsider with slipcase, but I just searched my orders and see I only ordered the slipcase....duh! I better go to my local B&N and see if I can find a first printing.
              Here in the Portland/Vancouver area I am only seeing 1st/1st copies. Picked a mint 1st/1st from Costco, have also seen them at Powell's.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                This is one of the best books Mr. King has written in years. A little over 100 pages into it and am fully invested in the story and the characters.
                I am about 300 pages in and can say that it only gets better! With just over 200 pages to go it still can go off the rails but I am loving this book so far! I have guests arriving today and staying for the next few days and am already thinking about how I will get my reading time in.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                  Here in the Portland/Vancouver area I am only seeing 1st/1st copies. Picked a mint 1st/1st from Costco, have also seen them at Powell's.
                  Local grocery had all 1st.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                    I just picked up a mint 1st/1st from my local B&N. They sent me a 15% off coupon, plus it was 30% off to begin with.

Comment

Well the first 75% of this book was fantastic. It kind of went sideways for me at that point but overall I really enjoyed it. Gave it four stars on Good reads but it was five stars for the first 75% and almost fell to three stars by the end.

Comment

King’s endings have often left me disappointed...UNDER THE DOME, anyone?
                        Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                          King’s endings have often left me disappointed...UNDER THE DOME, anyone?
                          This one is much better than Under the Dome but did leave me disappointed.

Comment

I just finished this and enjoyed the hell out of it. Fairly quick read (or maybe that’s more due to over two hours a day commute.) Not am earth shattering novel, but it entertained me, and that’s really what’s important, right?

Next up is Sleeping Beauties - while I own three copies, I haven’t read this one yet, and my ebook hold from the library came available this week so perfect timing.

Speaking of book holds - why do they always come in at the SAME TIME? Sheesh.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                              I just finished this and enjoyed the hell out of it. Fairly quick read (or maybe that’s more due to over two hours a day commute.) Not am earth shattering novel, but it entertained me, and that’s really what’s important, right?

Next up is Sleeping Beauties - while I own three copies, I haven’t read this one yet, and my ebook hold from the library came available this week so perfect timing.

Speaking of book holds - why do they always come in at the SAME TIME? Sheesh.
                              I agree with your assessment of The Outsider. I enjoyed Sleeping Beauties.

Comment

About 100 pages to go and it's lost some of its steam for me. Still really enjoying this book. Hope to be done by tomorrow night. If not won't get to finish it until Tuesday. Monday is a super long work day.

Comment

Working...
                                X