When did CD drag you in to the Dark?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When did CD drag you in to the Dark?

I can't say it was my idea exactly for this new thread (Brad mentioned making this a thread, including the great title for the thread), but it did stem from my wondering about how many people discovered CD through the Blockade Billy release, which I don't ever expect numbers for.

So instead of getting numbers I'll just ask. How did you discover CD?

For me it was definitely Blockade Billy and haven't looked back since, have loved the production values of ever CD title I've gotten my hands on so far

Originally posted by kingtravel View Post
    I can't say it was my idea exactly for this new thread (Brad mentioned making this a thread, including the great title for the thread), but it did stem from my wondering about how many people discovered CD through the Blockade Billy release, which I don't ever expect numbers for.

So instead of getting numbers I'll just ask. How did you discover CD?

For me it was definitely Blockade Billy and haven't looked back since, have loved the production values of ever CD title I've gotten my hands on so far
    Welcome to the dark side. I believe you can find another thread explaining this for those of us who have been around awhile. For me it was 1998 and a trade anthology titled 999. I bought it because it had a new Stephen King story but I loved every story in the book. When reading the title page I saw that a limited version had been issued by Hill House/Cemetery Dance. I found Cemetery Dance. I chose not to order 999 as it was not signed by King but they had an upcoming release called Legacies and I ordered it. Due to many issues all of which will probably never be known outside the halls of Cemetery Dance that book took several years to publish. In the mean time I have added an unknown number of Cemetery Dance titles including the book that brought me here originally 999. Via Cemetery Dance I have discovered many other Small Press companies like PS Publishing, Centipede Press, Subterranean Press, Earthling Publications and many more. Not have the production values of Cemetery Dance but they all publish some great stories, have production values way beyond a trade edition and are generally great to deal with.

Once again, welcome and prepare to spend money!
    Last edited by Martin; 10-04-2017, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
      POS Publishing
      I wonder if this an intended typo...

I'm not sure I recall exactly how I got turned onto CD. I think I first discovered Dark Regions press a few years back and went looking for a forum to discuss small press book collecting. It also might have been from discovering CDs copy of IT while looking to buy a nice copy. Glad I found my way here at any rate though. Plan to stick around for a while too!

Comment

Probably about two years back for me but I can't recall exactly how I stumbled upon them in the dark. Since then, like Martin, it's lead to many discoveries, more insight into the world of book collecting than one would ever know, and a substantial loss of income . They do produce a great product!

And join the CDCC next year if you haven't already this year. They've already suckered me a few times and we're just getting started!

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post

I'm not sure I recall exactly how I got turned onto CD. I think I first discovered Dark Regions press a few years back and went looking for a forum to discuss small press book collecting. It also might have been from discovering CDs copy of IT while looking to buy a nice copy. Glad I found my way here at any rate though. Plan to stick around for a while too!
          I was curious about that too, Dan LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post

Not an intended typo and has been corrected. PS Publishing has a different standard for their books that I do not care for but they publish good stuff and are decent to deal with.

Comment

I believe it was around 2001 with Bad News and October Dreams and then once From a Buick 8 came out, I've been in the dark ever since.

Comment

For me it was the 25th Anniversary Edition of IT.

I believe I saw on some SK Group on Facebook that said there was this beautiful edition being published. I checked Amazon and they said they'd have it/some, so I ordered it. After MANY e-mails asking if I still wanted it because it was late, and me saying yes, a copy finally arrived.

I didn't realize it at the time, but soon learned that this edition wasn't published by the regular companies, but a small press, so even it it wasn't numbered, it was obviously a lot more rare than what you'd find at your local book store (what's that you ask?)

I soon learned about Subterranean Press and Centipede Press and PS Publishing (just to name three.)

And after many PayPal transactions, I'm still here.

Comment

For me, it was a few years after Salem's Lot was published by Centipede press. I heard about how I missed out on that so I began looking into what other places are publishing King limited editions other than Grant books. Until then, I thought Grant was the only one. My research turned up Secretary of Dreams and From a Buick 8 by CD, also long sold out. But then came IT: 25th Anniversary Edition and I was able to grab a gift edition before the window closed. I've been broke ever since.

Comment

The two Secretary of Dreams volumes are still some of my favorite book productions period. I'm really hoping for third volume someday.

Comment

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
                      The two Secretary of Dreams volumes are still some of my favorite book productions period. I'm really hoping for third volume someday.
                      I ended up scoring Secretary of Dreams Vol 2 in a grab bag.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                        I ended up scoring Secretary of Dreams Vol 2 in a grab bag.
                        That's awesome!! I had one of the gift editions remarqued by Glenn when it was an option and he drew a tombstone with my name on it and a hand/arm crawling up and out! It was awesome and now my family will have THAT to look forward to.

Comment

For me it was searching for a list of King books (I think), and it led me to listings on his website, and I think it was mentioned on there, and voila...here I am today....that was probably 5 or so years ago.

Not sure how I found Dark Regions, but it was probably in a search for horror books as well.

Comment

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
                            That's awesome!! I had one of the gift editions remarqued by Glenn when it was an option and he drew a tombstone with my name on it and a hand/arm crawling up and out! It was awesome and now my family will have THAT to look forward to.
                            THAT IS SPECTACULAR!!! I'm so jealous.

Comment

I've been with them since the beginning… Picked up Cemetery Dance issue number 2 back in the late 80s, and have been with them ever since.
                              Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Working...
                              X