Interesting description for an illustrated book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting description for an illustrated book

On Saturday, I found myself looking at an illustrated book at Amazon. Later, I went back and looked closer at the same book and saw something unusual in the book's description that I don't recall ever seeing before with any book FULL 10-1 NUMBER LINE PRESENT. Two more Buying Choices for this book also say FULL NUMBER LINE. I think this refers to a book's ISBN, although I'm not certain. One other seller put in their description 1st print 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1. Very odd.

Cap
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
    On Saturday, I found myself looking at an illustrated book at Amazon. Later, I went back and looked closer at the same book and saw something unusual in the book's description that I don't recall ever seeing before with any book FULL 10-1 NUMBER LINE PRESENT. Two more Buying Choices for this book also say FULL NUMBER LINE. I think this refers to a book's ISBN, although I'm not certain. One other seller put in their description 1st print 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1. Very odd.

Cap
    That number line designates the printing. Essentially the lowest number in the line is the printing. I have no idea why this is designated this way.
    CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
      That number line designates the printing. Essentially the lowest number in the line is the printing. I have no idea why this is designated this way.
      What are the other numbers? ~Cap
      Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

That number line you show is very typical for a publishers edition statement. The lowest number will be the printing, and with each subsequent edition a number will be removed, i.e. a third printing will have the three shown as the last number. They show all the numbers, and then just remove them as the subsequent printings, if any, are released. Why they do it in that manner I have no idea, but it's been done for decades and decades.

It's actually nice that the Amazon dealers are providing that information, as it clarifies which edition it is. Particularly with those large quantity sellers, you never know what you're going to get unless it's spelled out...and too few provide that info.
        Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
          What are the other numbers? ~Cap
          I don't think they mean anything. It's just always been the way most US based publishers indicate the printing of the book.
          CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
          Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Working...
          X