House of Leaves - opinions of the book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

House of Leaves - opinions of the book

I was thinking about picking up a copy of House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski. I've read mixed reviews about the book and was wondering if I could get a few opinions of the book. I know opinions are relative but I'd just like to get a few impressions of the book. Currently, I've got a ton of Stephen King to read but I was considering taking a beak with a different author. Again, thanks in advance.

Your enjoyment will depend on how much effort you want to put in (allowing that there's a point of diminishing returns, and that point is different for each reader). You can keep things at a basic level and just read the Navidson Record and get a love story with some weird aspects, or you can dive in and start peeling that onion. You have the advantage of being new to it now, after everything about the book has been discovered, so there are reading guides out there if you want to use one of those.

Comment

It can be a tough read at times, but incredibly rewarding. I would say read the whole thing or not at all. If you only read parts you're missing the whole. Then what's the point? One of my all time favourite books, top 10 for sure, but it won't be for everybody.

Comment

House of Leaves is one of the greatest horror novels I've read. It's challenging, but you hit the jackpot if you put in the work.
        “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
        -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

Comment

I started reading this one about ten years ago (maybe longer) but never finished it. It's in my TBR like though.

I will say this - there were parts that I did read that still creep me out to this day.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
              I started reading this one about ten years ago (maybe longer) but never finished it. It's in my TBR like though.

I will say this - there were parts that I did read that still creep me out to this day.

Thanks TacomaDiver, I'll look into it.

Comment

Good luck! All I can say, is stick it out. If the first bit doesn't do it for you, it doesn't me the rest won't. There's more than one style and voice to this book.

Comment

Working...
                X