Video Games or Reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video Games or Reading?

I was wondering how many folks here spend time playing large scale RP video games (i.e., fallout 4, skyrim, dark souls, etc)? Currently, I devote all of my free time to reading and was considering starting a role playing game, but the thought of spending endless hours on a video game console concerns me. Think of all the books read!

Anyway, how many of you guys/gals also spend time gaming? How do you balance out the two different activities?

Originally posted by Wicked Jester View Post
    I was wondering how many folks here spend time playing large scale RP video games (i.e., fallout 4, skyrim, dark souls, etc)? Currently, I devote all of my free time to reading and was considering starting a role playing game, but the thought of spending endless hours on a video game console concerns me. Think of all the books read!

Anyway, how many of you guys/gals also spend time gaming? How do you balance out the two different activities?
    I do. Though not with large scale RP video games. Those type of games just aren't my cup of tea. I play lots of strategy / simulation type games. Games that really make you think. Splitting up the time is pretty easy for me, since I pretty much only do audio books these days. So audio books are in the car, at work, when I can't be in front of a computer or TV.

My current video game vice is Player Unknown's Battlegrounds. Not really all that thoughtful, but it's probably some of the most fun I've had in a video game in a long time. It's basically Battle Royale, the game. 100 people parachute out onto an island with no gear. You have to find gear / weapons and be the last person (or team) alive, with a ever shrinking play zone.
    CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

I used to play games quite a bit - I come from the golden age of video games, as I call it at least. I grew up in the '80s and had, and recently got a very good working, Colecovision. High school in the late 80's, early '90s I played PC games. I do have a PS3, but I do not use it much. I know it's out dated, but works fine. I wish I had more time for gaming, but I prefer reading - easier to fit into my life/schedule, and generally more relaxing. I just see so many incredible games for the PS4 that it makes me want one, but cannot justify it right now. The ol' not enough hours in a day conundrum.

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
        I used to play games quite a bit - I come from the golden age of video games, as I call it at least. I grew up in the '80s and had, and recently got a very good working, Colecovision. High school in the late 80's, early '90s I played PC games. I do have a PS3, but I do not use it much. I know it's out dated, but works fine. I wish I had more time for gaming, but I prefer reading - easier to fit into my life/schedule, and generally more relaxing. I just see so many incredible games for the PS4 that it makes me want one, but cannot justify it right now. The ol' not enough hours in a day conundrum.
        Yea I've pretty much left consoles behind. If it's not on the PC I don't play it.

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
          Yea I've pretty much left consoles behind. If it's not on the PC I don't play it.
          Funny you mention that. I would say mid - late '90s I would almost have to upgrade my PC to have it compatible with whatever new game that was coming out that I wanted.

Comment

Funny you mention that. I would say mid - late '90s I would almost have to upgrade my PC to have it compatible with whatever new game that was coming out that I wanted.
            Yea. I have a pretty top of the line machine, that I almost exclusively under utilize by playing low-fi indie games.

Instagram

Comment

I made the mistake (I now believe) in purchasing a Dell pc - the reason I saw that....... I went to a local computer shop, plus my Dad used to pretty much build them when he was working. Dell desktops use proprietary parts, and are thus un-upgradeable in terms of say...motherboard/processor, etc. But...they are cost effective.

Next time - I will get one built locally, so I can upgrade whatever component(s), when the need arises, not have to buy an entire new box.

Comment

I made the mistake (I now believe) in purchasing a Dell pc - the reason I saw that....... I went to a local computer shop, plus my Dad used to pretty much build them when he was working. Dell desktops use proprietary parts, and are thus un-upgradeable in terms of say...motherboard/processor, etc. But...they are cost effective.

Next time - I will get one built locally, so I can upgrade whatever component(s), when the need arises, not have to buy an entire new box.
                Yea I've been building my own PCs since I was maybe 14.

Instagram

Comment

I came to gaming really late in life. The only one a play is World of Tanks and I spend way too much time on it. I try not to let much get in the way of my reading though.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Jester View Post

I split my free time three ways: books, TV/Movies, and video games. Lately it's just reading. I'm all caught up on the few shows I watch and once in a while I'll catch a movie if I'm interested. I've also completed the few games I have. The last one I played was Dying Light. Brilliant zombie killing fun. The next game I'll buy is Resident Evil 7. I play on my PS4 when the kids are in bed. I usually don't divide my free time between the three--I complete one thing before beginning another. Is that weird?

Comment

Working...
                    X