Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bubba and the Cosmic Blood Suckers

Senior Member Inmate

Bubba and the Cosmic Blood Suckers

Is anyone interested in this title from SubPress? I'm on the fence about picking it up.

http://subterraneanpress.com/bubba-a...-blood-suckers

Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Theli's Avatar
    Doesn't exactly seem like my cup of tea, but I do dig Lansdale. Worth it for $40 I would say, as long as you like mondo fiction.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Bubba Ho-Tep is a great story (and great movie) and Lansdale excels at this type of story. If it was by anybody else it would be an easy pass for me. All that being said, I'm on the fence as well but more due to budgetary issues than anything else. With CD's pre-announcements I've become more cautious with my spending.

I have been thinking about picking up more Lansdale limiteds though. For as much as I like his work, I only have two limiteds in my collection. I kinda wish someone would do a Complete Short Fiction series of his work or begin reissuing deluxe versions of Hap and Leonard.

Senior Member Inmate
    Interesting perspectives. Thanks. I don't think I've read any Lansdale (maybe a short story here or there) but I thought the movie was a riot and I love weird stuff like John Dies at the End. But yes, I need to be more budget-minded! Centipede Press looks like it's going to offer three books I want and with all CD has in the works, I don't have money to gamble.

Senior Member Inmate
    Well, you guys were NO HELP. You were supposed t talk me out of it. But you didn't. And now I'm getting a copy in October.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Yeah, you came to the wrong place if you want to be talked OUT of something. That's what spouses and bill collectors are for.

Senior Member 2nd Electroshock Session Martin's Avatar
    We are here to help you spend money.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    Well, you guys were NO HELP. You were supposed t talk me out of it. But you didn't. And now I'm getting a copy in October.

Senior Member Inmate
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    We are here to help you spend money.
    HAHAHA no lie. You're a bunch of enablers. Though it doesn't take much to enable me.

Senior Member Inmate
    Quote Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    Yeah, you came to the wrong place if you want to be talked OUT of something. That's what spouses and bill collectors are for.
    Well, now you all have to buy a copy so it will be out of print and worth more down the line.

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? bookworm 1's Avatar
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    While I am a huge fan of Lansdale I might be one of the very few people who didn't really like Bubba. So I am passing on this.

Senior Member Inmate
    Seeing all the Lansdale love that's going around in the CD forum and other places, I'm excited to begin reading him. Is there a Lansdale book you'd recommend since Bubba ain't your guy?

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    Seeing all the Lansdale love that's going around in the CD forum and other places, I'm excited to begin reading him. Is there a Lansdale book you'd recommend since Bubba ain't your guy?
    For mystery/suspense, I'd recommend THE BOTTOMS and give honorary mention to FREEZER BURN.

For horror, I'd recommend THE DRIVE-IN (#1, the first of the trilogy) and give honorary mention to THE NIGHTRUNNERS.

For young adult, I'd recommend FENDER LIZARDS and give honorary mention to ALL THE EARTH, THROWN TO THE SKY.

For short-story collections, I'd recommend BY BIZARRE HANDS and give honorary mention to BLEEDING SHADOWS.

For westerns, I'd recommend THE MAGIC WAGON and give honorary mention to PARADISE SKY.

For novellas, I'd recommend THE BIG BLOW and give honorary mention to DEAD IN THE WEST.

Hope that helps...should keep you busy for a while.

Senior Member Inmate
    Wow. Thank you for that list! I'll probably start with the horror.

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? bookworm 1's Avatar
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    For me I would recommend The Complete Drive in. As well as Edge of Dark Water,The Bottoms and The Thicket

Senior Member Inmate
    Quote Originally Posted by bookworm 1 View Post
    For me I would recommend The Complete Drive in. As well as Edge of Dark Water,The Bottoms and The Thicket
    I've been eyeballing a Centipede Press edition of The Drive In on eBay.

Senior Member Inmate TacomaDiver's Avatar
    I've been eyeballing a Centipede Press edition of The Drive In on eBay.
    That's a beautiful edition and doesn't seem to be overpriced on the secondary market either.

Senior Member Inmate
    Quote Originally Posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    That's a beautiful edition and doesn't seem to be overpriced on the secondary market either.
    I put a bid on it. You guys are killing me. Or at the very least assisting a suicide. A financial suicide, to be clear.

Senior Member Inmate
    WELL I won the eBay auction. So I'm getting the Centipede Press edition of The Drive In and I'm thrilled to see that it's the complete Drive In. I also won an ARC of Paradise Sky as part of the auction. So I'm definitely getting my Lansdale on.

During my research I noticed that Jerad doesn't list Lansdale among Centipede Press authors on the site. Seems odd considering that The Drive In wasn't published that long ago and the list of authors seemed pretty comprehensive.

Made me wonder if there's bad blood between Lansdale and CP. Then I began wondering if there would be bad blood between McCammon and Subterranean Press since CD snatched up The Listener.

And then I was wondering if anyone could stop Dark Regions from crazy mark-ups on other publishers books! They're selling Bubba for $60 even as SubPress has copies available on their site for $40.

Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Theli's Avatar
    WELL I won the eBay auction. So I'm getting the Centipede Press edition of The Drive In and I'm thrilled to see that it's the complete Drive In. I also won an ARC of Paradise Sky as part of the auction. So I'm definitely getting my Lansdale on.

During my research I noticed that Jerad doesn't list Lansdale among Centipede Press authors on the site. Seems odd considering that The Drive In wasn't published that long ago and the list of authors seemed pretty comprehensive.

Made me wonder if there's bad blood between Lansdale and CP. Then I began wondering if there would be bad blood between McCammon and Subterranean Press since CD snatched up The Listener.

And then I was wondering if anyone could stop Dark Regions from crazy mark-ups on other publishers books! They're selling Bubba for $60 even as SubPress has copies available on their site for $40.
    I'm guessing the case with Jerad is just a mishap. I doubt there's any bad blood. Other than a minor disagreement with Stephen King I don't know anyone that has said anything negative about him. Lansdale is the same way. They both seem like agreeable people.

I also doubt there's any bad blood between McCammon and Sub Press. It's all contracts. I wouldn't be surprised to see other new works from him come out from them in the future.

Dark Regions... I got nothing to say on that.

Senior Member Hearing Voices mhatchett's Avatar
    My dealings with Jerad have all been top notch. I agree with Theli, it's all business. I doubt any of these guys would sign anything that looked like an exclusive contract. I wouldn't! Sub has done a great job with McCammon's work and I think we can all agree Lansdale's Drive In omnibus is a super nice volume. Sometimes, I think we watch too much TV/TMZ, the world does not always spin on drama. Thank God LOL!!