No announcement yet.

Lansdale - Seattle!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never heard a reason for not signing ARCs but what Ron says is pretty much what I thought the reason was. For every non-ARC in the wild, the author was probably paid.

Kind of reminds me of a few years ago, some musician was upset that they weren't receiving royalties from used music sales and tried to fight with someone over it.

Regardless, I'm excited to tonight and managed to only bring ten books with me to get signed.

Comment

I can't really speak to what Ron said, but I can say in general the idea of "lost sales" is a total fallacy. The same thing goes for things like pirated music and what not. Just because someone downloaded it doesn't mean that they would have ever purchased it in the first place. It also often means that they will sometimes go back and buy the thing later. It happens a lot with music and movies. Especially with movies in the small period of time when a movie isn't in the theaters anymore, but the DVD / Blu-Ray haven't come out yet.
      CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
      Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Today did not at all go to plan, but at least it ended well.

I braved the dowtown Seattle traffic and went down to Seattle Mystery Bookshop to attend his 2pm - 3pm afternoon stop there. Arrived finally at 2:20, only to be told that the session was from 1pm to 2pm. How I got my times wrong I've no idea, but what a waste of time and patience that was. I'd blame Joe's Facebook tour site, but since I was the only one there at the wrong time I don't think that blame game's going to fly.

So I again braved traffic -- this time rush-hour -- and a deluge of rain to attend his evening session at Third Place Books, only to arrive with a blistering headache that kind of tempered my enthusiasm for the event. The signing was really poorly attended, which with my headsplitting mood also served to just make for a generally lackluster night. There were six men/fans (including me), two wives, and a gaggle of young high school girls that were appararently on an extra-credit assignment for their English class. TDiver, were you there? It occurred to me that I never asked what you look like in our previous comments r.e. The event. But Joe was great, though, especially given the six-fan turnout that he had to be disappointed about...he was his usual engaging and entertaining ownself. I got a batch of books signed, including his newest one, and so, really, I can't complain.

Oh wait, I just did...

But all in all, any day you meet Joe Lansdale is a good day indeed. I'm pleased to say this was my fourth time, and I hope it won't be the last.
        Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Too bad things did not go exactly as planned, but at least it turned out okay in the end.

Comment

I thought the event at Seattle Mystery was from 12-1 ... I would have messed that up.

Traffic was definitely a "challenge" last night. My GF told me on the drive there "let's not ever live here, ok?)

This was my first time seeing Lansdale so I was pretty excited. Loved his answers to questions and how engaged with the audience he was. The crowd was a lot smaller than I would have expected though. Guess it shows me that not everyone enjoys the same things that I do (even if I assume they do.)

I brought ten books to be signed - I tried not to overdue it. Love how he signed my Mark Stone paperbacks as Jack Buchanan.

Plus I won a copy of Hap and Leonard on the DVD - excited to finally see this since I didn't have cable TV when it aired (now I just don't have the Sundance channel.) (Of course it just hit Netflix.)

Wish I knew Ron was there - I would have at least introduced myself. Next time.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
              The crowd was a lot smaller than I would have expected though. Guess it shows me that not everyone enjoys the same things that I do (even if I assume they do.)
              Yeah, I don't know what to ascribe that low turnout to...traffic, weather, midweek event, etc....I sure would have that thought that there'd be more folks there, and I was stunned and disappointed to see how few made it out. I've been to previous Lansdale signings in our area (three, in fact, though it's been a while), and all were far better attended. Add that to that that I have to assume he's become more popular over time, especially given the popularity of Hap and Leonard on TV and print and whatnot, and it makes the low turnout a real puzzle. Was nice to see, though, that he was able to shrug that off and still create a fun atmosphere.

Wish I knew Ron was there - I would have at least introduced myself. Next time.
              Just as well...that headadche had me in a sour mood, and I'd've hate to come off like an antisocial a-hole. I don't get headaches like that often at all, but when I do, it's hard to find the joy. Too bad, too, as I had looked forward to this for months, and had lots of questions for Joe (and he was certainly hungry for them from the quiet audience), but couldn't muster up the wherewithall, other than the usual "What are you next books?" I was the guy in the black wool jacket and the blue bag o' books.

Comment

I was the guy that got the signed Rusty Puppy poster. So either right in front of you or right behind you. I also won a DVD.

The headache doesn't sound fun - sorry to hear that. I know I've been places when I'd rather be at home in the dark.
                Last edited by TacomaDiver; 03-04-2017, 04:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                  I was the guy that got the signed Rusty Puppy poster. So either right in front of you or right behind you. I also won a DVD.
                  Must've been behind, as I'm afraid I didn't even notice anyone w/ a poster...guess that's the kind of tunnel focus I had in getting things signed and getting out and home to bed.

Congrats on the poster...I have a few things like that in my office, and they're awfully cool to have.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                    Must've been behind, as I'm afraid I didn't even notice anyone w/ a poster...guess that's the kind of tunnel focus I had in getting things signed and getting out and home to bed.

Congrats on the poster...I have a few things like that in my office, and they're awfully cool to have.
                    Yeah, I think you were right behind me.

Few pictures that I took from the signing, plus the one of my giant Rusty Puppy poster:

IMG_0396.JPG
                    Lansdale reading from his newest book. My GF commented that her mind runs like Hap's narration does.

IMG_0399.JPG
                    Me and the man himself.

rustypuppy.jpg
                    Giant Rusty Puppy poster (my Lansdale shelves are actually behind.)

Comment

Excellent!

Comment

Poster looks great.

I always forget to ask about those...thought I'd learned my lesson with the two Joe Hill signing posters I missed out on, but apparently not. Glad this one went to good, appreciative home. It's great art, too...that silhouette of the two figures and the pickup truck and the immense sky really capture the mood of the series.

Comment

Working...
                        X