Lansdale - Seattle!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lansdale - Seattle!

So on Thursday when I was laid up at home with a jacked up back (seriously kids, don't get old!) I discovered that Joe Lansdale his own self is FINALLY going to be in Seattle. Sadly the store he'll be at - Seattle Mystery Bookstore - isn't at a convenient time - noon on a Thursday. Now if I still worked downtown it was across the street.

BUT he's also going to be at Third Place Books that evening! Sweet! This will finally happen!

I know that there are a few other Lansdale fans here, and I know a few people are in the area - but I'm not certain if those two groups cross at all. But if they do, I wanted to let you know.

Now I just need to decide what to get signed - his new book obviously (which I'll buy at Third Place Books) - but what else? I think a slight majority of my collection is already signed, so that'll help the decision process. He did confirm to me on Twitter that he'll sign anything - except ARCs (I remember reading this somewhere else . . .) but I don't have any ARCs so no issues there.

If you own enough Lansdale books it might be cool to temporarily remove a shelf, preferably the one that his books reside on, and have him sign that. Then you can always look fondly upon your signed Lansdale shelf.

It's cool that you get to meet him!
    “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
    -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

If it was on a Saturday I would have considered taking the time to drive up. But mid-week I will have to miss it.

Comment

It's Thursday - make a weekend out of it.

Originally posted by Martin View Post
        If it was on a Saturday I would have considered taking the time to drive up. But mid-week I will have to miss it.

Comment

Uhm this is actually a fine idea.

He did say it would sign anything as long as the store is ok with it.

Originally posted by bugen View Post
          If you own enough Lansdale books it might be cool to temporarily remove a shelf, preferably the one that his books reside on, and have him sign that. Then you can always look fondly upon your signed Lansdale shelf.

It's cool that you get to meet him!

Comment

I'll be at one of the signings...just trying to figure out which one will work the best.
            Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
              It's Thursday - make a weekend out of it.
              Last time I did that was 2006 for Mr. King's Lisey's Story tour. It was a fun weekend but not this time.

Comment

I was tempted to go to both actually. Love supporting small book stores. Plus I can get more stuff signed.

I'm still tempted but I'll have to burn a vacation day. Hmmmm

Regardless, I'll be at Third Place Books for an almost certainty. Say hi and maybe we can grab a beer after/before/during.

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                I'll be at one of the signings...just trying to figure out which one will work the best.

Comment

Appreciate the offer; hope to nail down soon which one I'm attending.

Comment

Turns out he will be at Powell's Beaverton the night before he hits Seattle. I will probably attend this.

Comment

So Joe told me on Twitter he'll sign whatever I bring, with the exception of ARCs (and as long as the store is okay with it.) And I just called the store to find out if they'll impose any limits and they told me nope, just whatever the author feels good about.

Now I need to figure out what to bring . . .

Luckily about half of my collection is signed - out of 91 Lansdale books in my collection, only 39 are unsigned.

Comment

Had to drive to Chehalis and back today. Did not feel like going out to Beaverton after that so no Lansdale for me. Have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                          So Joe told me on Twitter he'll sign whatever I bring, with the exception of ARCs (and as long as the store is okay with it.) And I just called the store to find out if they'll impose any limits and they told me nope, just whatever the author feels good about.

Now I need to figure out what to bring . . .

Luckily about half of my collection is signed - out of 91 Lansdale books in my collection, only 39 are unsigned.
                          That's damn cool of him! I wonder why he won't sign ARCs though.

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
                            That's damn cool of him! I wonder why he won't sign ARCs though.
                            He and his close author buddy, Andrew Vachss, both decline to sign ARCs as they believe -- understandably, I suppose -- that ARCs are intended for reviews, not resale and collecting, and see them as potential losses in sales and those in the hands of collectors and not reviewers are potential reviews lost. Seems to me that they protesteth too much and are making a mountain out of a molehill issue, but <shrug>. Ask me how I know: Vachss was an a-hole to me at a signing many years ago when I brought an ARC of VEIL'S VISIT with me...his behavior ended up working out for the best, though, as I never spent another cent on his (progressively weak) work.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                              He and his close author buddy, Andrew Vachss, both decline to sign ARCs as they believe -- understandably, I suppose -- that ARCs are intended for reviews, not resale and collecting, and see them as potential losses in sales and those in the hands of collectors and not reviewers are potential reviews lost. Seems to me that they protesteth too much and are making a mountain out of a molehill issue, but <shrug>. Ask me how I know: Vachss was an a-hole to me at a signing many years ago when I brought an ARC of VEIL'S VISIT with me...his behavior ended up working out for the best, though, as I never spent another cent on his (progressively weak) work.
                              Huh, interesting anecdote. I'm sure we've all had bad experiences at signings (mine was with comic legend Neal Adams).

Comment

Working...
                              X