Castle Rock Teaser from JJ Abrams and Hulu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Castle Rock Teaser from JJ Abrams and Hulu

Ok, I have not idea what this is but I am intrigued.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGHupqE1LCI

I too am intrigued, but I just don't trust Abrams.

Comment

I'm never getting rid of Hulu at this rate - dangit!

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
        I think he did a great job with 11.22.63

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
          I thought he did a great job with 11.22.63

Comment

Hulu's version of Stranger Things? Worth giving it a shot.

Comment

I just found out about this. An intriguing project. Do you think there is a connection between this and the Chizmar/King collaboration?

Also, if I am to attempt to interpret the teaser at all, does it mean perhaps that we will see episodes involving the famous characters from his books, or was the list of titles and audio clips merely setting up a marketing mood, and are we to assume the specific references will not be seen in the series? I read somewhere that it will be an anthology, but I'm not sure anyone really knows.

I've always wanted to see an anthology of short-story sequels to King's works done by other authors. I'm wondering if in a sense the series might be like this. Does Pennywise, as an example, come to Castle Rock, and one of the episodes will revolve around that? Does Gaunt return? Maybe the vampires come back? And I have to wonder if maybe someone like Chizmar (or Bentley Little, people like that) might be writing some of the episodes.

I too enjoyed 11/22/63, and I am looking forward to this. And yes, I didn't think about this until it was mentioned in the thread, but it does seem like Hulu was caught off guard by Stranger Things and is looking for its own version.

Comment

Originally posted by JJ123 View Post
                I just found out about this. An intriguing project. Do you think there is a connection between this and the Chizmar/King collaboration?

Also, if I am to attempt to interpret the teaser at all, does it mean perhaps that we will see episodes involving the famous characters from his books, or was the list of titles and audio clips merely setting up a marketing mood, and are we to assume the specific references will not be seen in the series? I read somewhere that it will be an anthology, but I'm not sure anyone really knows.

I've always wanted to see an anthology of short-story sequels to King's works done by other authors. I'm wondering if in a sense the series might be like this. Does Pennywise, as an example, come to Castle Rock, and one of the episodes will revolve around that? Does Gaunt return? Maybe the vampires come back? And I have to wonder if maybe someone like Chizmar (or Bentley Little, people like that) might be writing some of the episodes.

I too enjoyed 11/22/63, and I am looking forward to this. And yes, I didn't think about this until it was mentioned in the thread, but it does seem like Hulu was caught off guard by Stranger Things and is looking for its own version.
                I too wondered about the collaboration with Mr. Chizmar and if it relates to this effort. Based on the limited information released I believe this will be stand alone episodes that take place in the Castle Rock Universe. Now this could be short stories, original stories related to Castle Rock stories (the trailer seems to indicate this) or new Castle Rock stories (The collaboration with Mr. Chizmar).

Regarding Stranger Things. I think the success of Stranger Things has many networks trying to come up with their Stranger Things.

Comment

I think they should have Rich introduce the show at the beginning like Rod Serling!

Comment

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
                    I think they should have Rich introduce the show at the beginning like Rod Serling!
                    That would be cool. Maybe the series will be about the stories between the novels and link them all in some way. Either way, it will either be awesome or tank. I don't see much middle ground here.

Comment

I agree Brian, there may be no middle ground with this. And yes, it would be neat if Richard introduced the stories, although I suppose one might think King could introduce them.

I must say, I would love to see Richard introduce a Cemetery Dance series. Surprised that has never happened. You would figure he could easily -- I mean, easily -- crowdfund a series or an independent film based on the goodwill of the audience he has built up over the years with his company. However, I also see reasons for not doing it, I suppose, since it would be a risk, and the reward is somewhat unclear (especially if he didn't own most of the equity of such a filmed-entertainment asset; otherwise he would be looked at as "other people's money," if you know what I mean). Maybe, though, he should strike a deal with all contributors (excluding the famous ones who would refuse this) to the magazine that he retains the right to sell any story that has appeared in the periodical to film students for purposes of making short movies based on the tales; then start a YouTube channel showcasing all that visual material and attempt to extend the CD brand into that space, maybe with the intent of forming a Vice-like multimedia enterprise (again, if you know what I mean). This would be based on King's dollar-baby model...the rights would be sold for a buck, the filmmakers fund it for exposure, but the alteration to the model is that there is more opportunity for people to see the results (with King's program, you can only show them at festivals and/or within a director's portfolio).

Back to the subject at hand, though...I cannot wait for more information on this Castle Rock thing. If Hulu is smart it will get the brothers behind Stranger Things to contribute a story -- if Netflix allowed that, it would be a great marketing tool, and it would steal some of Things' equity.
                      Last edited by JJ123; 02-21-2017, 10:34 PM. Reason: needed to add a word for readability

Comment

As long as we don't get another Under the Dome repeat, we might be ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                          As long as we don't get another Under the Dome repeat, we might be ok.
                          Valid point. However I do believe most of the source material in the Castle Rock universe is better material than Under the Dome.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                            Valid point. However I do believe most of the source material in the Castle Rock universe is better material than Under the Dome.
                            True.

Comment

So, we know very little about this collaboration with Mr. King and JJ Abrams so I thought some speculation was in order.

IMDB shows seven shorts based on Stephen King stories in production for 2017. So are these each 1/2 hour or 1 hour episodes for this project?

1922 (short story) (post-production)
                              All That You Love Will Be Carried Away (III)(Short) (a story by) (pre-production)
                              Cain Rose Up (Short) (story by) (post-production)
                              Rainy Season (Short) (story by) (post-production)
                              All That You Love Will Be Carried Away (I)(Short) (based on short story by) (pre-production)
                              I Am the Doorway (Short) (short story) (completed)
                              The Milkman (story)

All that you love will be carried away lists an episode I and III

Now for a little reality. They show no relation with Bad Robot, the Directors are all unknown to me and those that show stars all have unknown stars. Probably a batch of Dollar Babies but you never know.

Comment

Working...
                              X