Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two Shelves of My Books (I've been organizing...)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agreed about the Postman Movie a huge disappointment LOL!! Another interesting, slightly different title I enjoyed was Soft Apocalypse by Will McIntosh. It's about a sort of motion slide toward the end of the world, at least as we know it.

Comment

I read SOFT APOCALYPSE A year or two ago, and remember liking it to a fair degree...6 out of 10, maybe? Seemed to straddle science fiction and light surrealism a bit too much for me.
      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
        Mike, if you get a bite that feels right, reel 'er in 'cause she's (SPARROW ROCK) a beaut'!

Upon finishing it, SPARROW ROCK leapt to join my top favorite post-apocalyptic novels, including THE STAND, SWAN SONG, and THE ROAD. While it's surely not up to the caliber of these classic novels, it's in fine company among them...I'd probably place close to my Top Five. Here's my Top Ten (as of today, anyhow, and off the top of my head):

THE ROAD
        THE STAND
        I AM LEGEND
        SWAN SONG
        THE DOG STARS
        SPARROW ROCK
        THE DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS
        BLOOD CRAZY
        DARK ADVENT
        THE QUIET EARTH
        The Quiet Earth - - A different title from In That Quiet Earth? I do have ITQE. ~Steve
        Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Thanks, Mike. THE POSTMAN is quite good; I wasn't much of a fan of the film, but like in most cases the book was far better. I also liked THE EARTH ABIDES, as well as ON THE BEACH and ALAS BABYLON. Not sure why I always mentally group those three together, but <shrug>. Of the three, I like THE EARTH ABIDES the best, followed by ON THE BEACH and, last, the more miltaristic ALAS BABYLON. In a more contemporary vein, WORLD WAR Z -- the book! -- was also quite good...enjoyed the format Brooks chose to tell the story. Somewhat less contemporarily, Roger Zelazny's DAMNATION ALLEY was also fairly good.

Steve: Sorry for such a thread drift on your For Sale ad!
          The thread drift is OK w. me. It really isn't a For Sale thread although I did hope to generate interest. When I get back to my room I will arrange one more shelf at least and than list the books for that shelf here. ~Steve
          Last edited by c marvel; 02-11-2017, 02:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
            The Quiet Earth - - A different title from In That Quiet Earth? I do have ITQE. ~Steve
            Mine refers to the 1981 novel by Craig Harrison. Just recently was FINALLY reprinted in tpb.
            Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Mine refers to the 1981 novel by Craig Harrison. Just recently was FINALLY reprinted in tpb.
              I have In That Quiet Earth by four authors. I think it is an unsigned PC copy-Not 100% sure since I am not in my room. ~Steve

Comment

Working...
              X