Film noir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bugen View Post
    I'm OK pushing it back to 8 PST but it's definitely starting to get late for the East Coast. If it works for Tommy I've got no complaints.
    This is fine, if I can make it, I will, if I can't then I look forward to your review tomorrow bugen! I've seen The Big Heat probably five times now. It's fantastic!

Comment

Let's aim for a 9pm CST start, hopefully it's not too late to get the word out. And it might make it easier for people to get together. If no one is here around then. I'll wait until the recently arranged time of 10 and kick off then. I'll try to get it better planned for next time.

Comment

9pm CST (7pm PST) sounds good to me. I'll check back here right before 7 my time and make sure we're good to go.
        “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
        -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Sounds like everything is go!

Comment

Fantastic Noir Night, and a smashing-good film! Thanks again to those who made it, to everyone who's contributed to this odd little thread and to CD for letting us play here!
            -John Barth

Comment

So bummed I missed it. As I was dreading, work ran late and I didn't even get home until after 830 PST. Stupid responsibilities...

Comment

Don't worry, brother, they'll likely be another. I think everyone had a good time and seemed enthusiastic to go again. Night and the City was the next film we talked about briefly but nothing's really set. Hopefully we can come up with a time that works for everyone.
                -John Barth

Comment

The Big Heat (1953) - Directed by Fritz Lang, written by Sydney Boehm (screenplay), William P. McGivern (Saturday Evening Post serial)

“The coming years are going to be just fine, Mr. Bannion.”
                  “There aren’t going to
                  be any coming years for you.”

vlcsnap-error348.png

Noir is black, but black isn’t necessarily noir. Even though the translation is literally the same. (That old definition of ‘literally,’ before the day dictionaries changed the meaning to both ‘literally’ and ‘figuratively’ because the general population is too stupid to understand what ‘literally’ actually means. [Note: It was on this same day the countdown to the end of the world officially began.] But I digress. What were we just talking about?)

Right, noir. Black. Darkness. Everyone reading this specializes in it, and we all know the dark is much more than violence, or hate, or murder, rape or politics. First, one element in which noir film excels is plain old despair. A person looking around his or her world, defeated. Every day a hardship, every movement requiring a gritting of the teeth before progressing. In film noir this isn’t always just a character or three, sometimes it’s the environment itself despairing. In most cases something horrific has happened to a character we’ve begun to care about. The same types of things that happen to us in (so-called) real life. Car accidents. Cancer. Murder. Airplane engines falling from the sky. In film, these events are darkness. In life, they’re just life.

Second, the characters in noir can be whip-crack smart, with evidence often manifesting in dialogue as well as their abilities to follow rabbit-hole mysteries opened up before them; and they’re driven. When tragedy strikes, we here on Earth lower our heads and whimper quietly to ourselves. When it happens to them, when they face despair, they move. Decisively. For better or, much more often, for worse. But they move.

Which brings us to The Big Heat.

vlcsnap-error040.png

Detective Sergeant Bannion (Glenn Ford) is investigating a case that’s bringing him perilously close to political corruption within the city and the gangsters city officials may work for (Lee Marvin, Alexander Scourby), and in a misguided attempt to get Bannion to back off the criminals strike at his personal life. Hard.

Bannion flies into action, mixing it up with the gangsters and with the girlfriend of the most dangerous of them, the stunning, seductive and sly Debby Marsh (Gloria Grahame).

vlcsnap-error278.png

Besides a brilliantly quotable script

“Am I going to die?”
                  “If I said you’d live another hundred years, you’d call me a liar.”

and multiple shocking events, Ford’s performance here is deeply fascinating. Initial impressions were that Sergeant Bannion’s (soon to be ex-Sergeant Bannion's) forward progress was reminiscent of The Terminator, just back in 1953 instead of the eighties, but that’s not entirely accurate. Sure, he tore through his enemies like paper, but The Terminator was cold, calculating and impersonal. Bannion was barely controlled, murderous, seething with hate and vengeance and just aching for one of the criminals he was after to trigger him even slightly, just for a second, so the ex-detective could burn him down. You could feel it radiating; he wanted to destroy something. Anything.

vlcsnap-error467.png

And then you’ve got the femme fatale, a woman smarter than everyone around her but underplaying it wonderfully, enough so that no one catches on. Almost. If she wasn’t so dangerous, and if I wasn’t still in love with Joan Fontaine from Rebecca, I’d be all over her right up until the money ran out.

vlcsnap-error860.png

So the performances are there, the writing is there, the lighting is there, the direction is there, and the darkness is there. But before anyone picks this up thinking it’s The Punisher, just know that this’s actually a detective story, a murder mystery, and above all, a film noir—one of the greatest of them all.

“Tell that to your mother.”

5 stars

SAM_8206.jpg
                  Last edited by bugen; 01-20-2017, 01:30 AM.
                  -John Barth

Comment

Great write up and screenshots! I'm glad you enjoyed the flick. It really is quite bleak, violent and shocking.

It was really great to get everyone together. I think it went smashingly.

Keith, shoot me a PM with your gmail address and I will invite you to the chat on Hangouts. We'll try to work out a time for everyone.

Comment

You get enough of these reviews together Andrew and you'll have yourself a nice book about Noir to publish!

Comment

Thanks, guys, and super-glad last night went so well. Even with just a few of us that was a ton of fun. And thanks to Dan for putting together the Hangouts chat, which worked much better than I was thinking. Anyone please feel free to join the next one!

Originally posted by Tommy View Post
                        You get enough of these reviews together Andrew and you'll have yourself a nice book about Noir to publish!
                        Ha! Wouldn't that be something.
                        -John Barth

Comment

Had a great time drinking bourbon and watching the film with youse guys. Looking forward to the next one!

And very nice write up, by the way.

Comment

I concur! Looking forward to next time. Night and the City is currently available on Youtube. Have you seen Sunset Boulevard yet Andrew? I'm hoping you save that one for movie night. I cannot watch that one enough times!

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy View Post
                              I concur! Looking forward to next time. Night and the City is currently available on Youtube. Have you seen Sunset Boulevard yet Andrew? I'm hoping you save that one for movie night. I cannot watch that one enough times!
                              I agree with Tommy about Sunset Boulevard. A delightfully cynical film.

I also agree with Daninsky about the bourbon!

Comment

I can save Sunset Boulevard for movie night, sure. That one has so much acclaim I'd been waiting for some kind of special occasion, so that'd be perfect!
                                -John Barth

Comment

Working...
                                X