Film noir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

La Chienne sounds fantastic!

I've been reading Cornell Woolrich and Paul Cain today, and with Night and the City coming up tonight, when the movie starts my scotch will be a double and I'll be whispering to my gun like Sledge Hammer.
    “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
    -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Sounds like you're in the right mindset! See you there soon.

Comment

Sorry I missed Noir Night guys. I had a bad day yesterday and went to bed early. I hope everyone had a good time!

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy View Post
          Sorry I missed Noir Night guys. I had a bad day yesterday and went to bed early. I hope everyone had a good time!
          It was just the two of us, but it was a good time. Sorry you missed it. I hope it wasn't anything too serious and that today is a better day!

Comment

Thanks Theli. I chalk it up to high blood pressure, bad brain chemistry and I think I'm getting that cold that Andrew had.

Comment

Night and the City was a solid film. Dark and sordid as any good film noir should be. It's interesting in that it checks off the film noir tropes, as though from a list, but then turns a lot of it on it's head by introducing less than usual film noir subject matter and setting. The subject being professional wrestling, and the setting being London. And damn does London ever work well for a film noir setting. Andrew had recommended Odd Man Out, and to an extent Ministry of Fear is also set in London (though not sure if it is shot there), but I feel that there should have been more. Especially after WWII a damaged and despondent city is the perfect set. That said I suppose making movies was the least of their worries at the time...

Comment

Sorry you had a rough one, Tommy--hope you feel better. And we missed you!

I'm with Theli on Night and the City. It was an excellent film, but came from left field as far as film noir goes. Like he said, the elements were present and accounted for, but it still managed to be much different than your more typical hard-boiled detectives, femme fatales and complex murder and mayhem, focusing more on the con.

As far as Carol Reed's Odd Man Out, that film is the full 5 stars along with his powerhouse The Third Man.

(For those who haven't seen it, Odd Man Out is about an Irish gangster wandering alone overnight in Belfast, trying to make it to safety, as he slowly bleeds out from a gunshot wound caught during a botched heist. Highest recommendations!)
                -John Barth

Comment

Anyone up for some noir this coming Wednesday, 2/22? I'm still holding out on Sunset Boulevard, but also still need to get to a few classics like The Glass Key, Lady in the Lake, The Killers, Night of the Hunter, and a few others. That being said, I'd also happily rewatch any of the greats, too.
                  -John Barth

Comment

I'm in for Sunset Boulevard on Wednesday!

Comment

I know my word is mud after last time but I do really want to watch Sunset Blvd.

Comment

No worries Tommy, your chance for redemption is tonight!

Sunset Boulevard at 9pm CST, come one and all!

Comment

Alright-alright-alright… Took a power nap, brewing some espresso roast for the French press, and looking forward to finally seeing this film!

Or, as they might say in noir:

Today’s pep left me when last night’s whiskey caught up. I recharged the only way I know how, with a quick trip to the underworld and a cup o’ joe so dark it must have followed me back. And I needed it. One hour ‘till showtime.

vlcsnap-error824.jpg
                          Last edited by bugen; 02-23-2017, 02:15 AM.
                          -John Barth

Comment

Oh man, that is a great line. What's that from?

Comment

Ha, just made it up while waiting for the coffee to finish brewing. Truth is, I've been reading a lot of crime fiction lately and am totally in the zone.
                              -John Barth

Comment

Film noir night was another success. I think we all enjoyed Sunset Boulevard and tolerated each other's company!

Comment

Working...
                                X