Top New Horror Novels or Collections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top New Horror Novels or Collections

I'd like to see some opinions on the top 5 or 10 (or whatever) horror novels from the last 5 years. I've seen a few titles pop-up that seemed interesting, Tremblay's Head full of Ghosts, The Loney by Hurley to name a couple, but I haven't read a new horror novel in a few years. All opinions are welcome!

Originally posted by Theli View Post
    Tremblay's Head full of Ghosts,
    You're on the right track.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I just read The Library at Mount Char. I guess you'd call it a horror/fantasy, but it was a fun read. One of the best I've read in quite a while.

https://www.amazon.com/Library-at-Mo...+at+mount+char

Comment

If you like 'Ghosts' then also check out Tremblay's newest novel 'Disappearance at Devil's Rock'. Really good.

'Little Star' by John Ajvide Lindqvist is a great horror novel.

'HEX' by Thomas Olde Heuvelt is also very creepy.

Comment

Originally posted by CyberGhostface View Post
          If you like 'Ghosts' then also check out Tremblay's newest novel 'Disappearance at Devil's Rock'. Really good.

'Little Star' by John Ajvide Lindqvist is a great horror novel.

'HEX' by Thomas Olde Heuvelt is also very creepy.
          I read HEX and wasn't as impressed as some reviews have been...the first half or so was pretty good and eerie, but -- for me -- it devolved into a bit of a melodrama.

John Ajvide Lindqvist: For years I've meant to read LET THE RIGHT ONE IN...someday I will.
          Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

A Head Full of Ghosts was excellent. For novels I've only read two published in the last 5 years that ended all the way up in the 5 star category. Neither are technically horror, but they're certainly both dark: The Ocean at the End of the Lane (5-) and Gone Girl (5-).

For anthologies, Limbus II was FAR better than it should have been. Book 1 was excellent, too, and still published within the last 5 years, but the concept was perfected on the 2nd outing. Also of particular note in anthologies was PS Publishing's Fearie Tales.

For collections, Make Something Up by Chuck Palahniuk and Glimpses by Rick Hautala are top notch, as is John R. Little's Little by Little. A hidden gem that didn't seem to get much fanfare is Code 666 and Other Stories by Michael Reaves. And the stories are far older but the book was published in 2013, so I've got to include Charles Beaumont's Mass for Mixed Voices.

If you want it narrowed down to one collection from the last 5 years for the bleeding edge of horror: Michael Marshall Smith's Everything You Need. This book is crammed full of 'excellent' and also has two that might knock you over. He's a heck of a novelist, but in short stories this guy is really tough to beat.
            Last edited by bugen; 11-26-2016, 08:05 AM.
            “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
            -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Over the last five years is a long way to stretch my mind but here is a sample of what bubbled up first thought:

11.22.63 - Stephen King
              Joyland - Stephen King
              The Fireman - Joe Hill
              Kin - Kealan Patrick Burke
              I am not Sam - Jack Ketchum
              Dinner with the Cannibal Sisters - Douglas Clegg
              The Woman - Jack Ketchum with Lucky McKee
              December Park - Ronald Malfi

Not in any order of preference or by any means a complete list. May not even be all within the last five years but these are some of my top Horror reads in the last five years.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                Over the last five years is a long way to stretch my mind but here is a sample of what bubbled up first thought:

11.22.63 - Stephen King
                Joyland - Stephen King
                The Fireman - Joe Hill
                Kin - Kealan Patrick Burke
                I am not Sam - Jack Ketchum
                Dinner with the Cannibal Sisters - Douglas Clegg
                The Woman - Jack Ketchum with Lucky McKee
                December Park - Ronald Malfi

Not in any order of preference or by any means a complete list. May not even be all within the last five years but these are some of my top Horror reads in the last five years.
                Dinner with the Cannibal Sisters - Douglas Clegg was an excellent read!

Comment

New authors and books that I have read and really liked are
                  Mayan Blue by Melissa Lason and Michelle Garza . They are also known as the sisters of Slaughter great writing style .
                  Desper Hollow by Elizabeth Massie. Very good zombie novel with some neat twists.
                  Dark Net by John R Little. Good thriller.
                  The Thicket by Joe R. Lansdale. Not really horror but a super read
                  Slowly we Rot by Bryan Smith. This is another great new take on the zombie novel.
                  Anything you can read by Shane McKenzie. One of my favorite of the new generation of writers.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                    Dinner with the Cannibal Sisters - Douglas Clegg was an excellent read!
                    That was a story that I finished completely satisfied with the story and wanted more!

Comment

re: Hex - I read it, enjoyed it. However....I wish the novel wasn't Americanized - I think the original story would've been better. I bought the hype, bought the book too. I did like it though.

I do want to read Headful of Ghosts, and Library at Mount Char

Unfortunately - although I do have some current (last 5 years) horror/dark thrillers - my bookshelf is so full of books, that I tend to read older ones - and get those out of the way. Plus I've had a good run archeological thrillers lately too.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                        That was a story that I finished completely satisfied with the story and wanted more!
                        Me too. No pun intended

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
                          I just read The Library at Mount Char. I guess you'd call it a horror/fantasy, but it was a fun read. One of the best I've read in quite a while.

https://www.amazon.com/Library-at-Mo...+at+mount+char

Finished reading 'the library at mount char' a couple of weeks back, based on the recommendation on here - it was quite an entertaining read and reminded me a bit of the way Dean Koontz writes if he were ever to do an 'x-men' or 'heroes' type of story. Overall, in my top 5 reads for 2016.

Comment

I'll have to add this to my to read list based on that description. Thanks!

Originally posted by ReticentRomeo View Post
                            Finished reading 'the library at mount char' a couple of weeks back, based on the recommendation on here - it was quite an entertaining read and reminded me a bit of the way Dean Koontz writes if he were ever to do an 'x-men' or 'heroes' type of story. Overall, in my top 5 reads for 2016.

Comment

Half way through Richard Chizmar's A Long December and even if the remaining stories turned out to be bad (unlikely) I have read enough great stories to put this one in my top books list!

Comment

Working...
                              X